PDA

View Full Version : POR - which building to stay in

patandmikesmom
09-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Can anyone tell me what is the best building to stay in at POR? It has been a while since we last stayed there. I am leaning toward staying in the mansion section and was not sure if there were "preferred buildings" or just "preferred rooms" in that section. I would like to stay close to the food court, etc. We just came back from CBR and was in the Jamaica section which was a bit of a hike to get to the main building, pool, etc. Don't want to go through that again. I know in the AB section there are preferred buildings, but have never stayed in that section. I would love to hear your opinions and past experiences. Thanks!!

crltkcagle
09-19-2011, 11:58 AM
We stay in building 14. They say preferred building but really they just have preferred rooms. If you stay in a preferred building they will put you overlooking the parking lot if you do not want a preferred room. Just don't get room 1423! We had it last week and the ac was broken! The moved us but two nights of no air was miserable!

bcornette
09-19-2011, 12:02 PM
We are a family of 5, so we always stay in AB for the trundle. Until this upcoming trip we have always done preferred rooms and not had any issues with transportation, or closeness to food or main pool. This year we are trying a riverview, which could put us a little farther out but not much and in theory it will be more peaceful. Hopefully it will have the Queen bed updates done by my trip.

POR is slowly replacing all beds with queen beds. They have also created multiple room categories now - standard, garden, preferred, waterview, royalty, and riverview.

You can look at this site for the most updated information on the resort.
http://portorleans.org/

patandmikesmom
09-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Is it worth spending the extra $$ for a preferred room? I thought I would request Oak Manor or Magnolia Terrace and not ask for a preferred room. Just was not sure if they charged for preferred buildings - but I guess it it is just the rooms. Am I correct in thinking that AB charges for preferred buildings (14, 15, 17)?

MNNHFLTX
09-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Is it worth spending the extra $$ for a preferred room? I thought I would request Oak Manor or Magnolia Terrace and not ask for a preferred room. Just was not sure if they charged for preferred buildings - but I guess it it is just the rooms. Am I correct in thinking that AB charges for preferred buildings (14, 15, 17)?I think the preferred buildings in Alligator Bayou are 14, 15, 18 and 27. And yes, there is an added charge for these buildings. Personally, I don't think it's worth the money. Port Orleans Riverside is not that big, IMO--the main building or pool are all within short walking distance, even from outlying buildings. I like AB, but Oak Manor or Magnolia Terrace are also well-positioned. They're just a short walk next to the river and over the bridge to the the main building or pool. They have also have beautiful courtyards and quiet pools next to them.

rhonary
09-19-2011, 02:03 PM
Someone mentioned AB for the trundle beds...I heard they are doing away with the trundles and putting in fold out beds that would accomadate adults...any truth to that does anybody know?

MNNHFLTX
09-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Someone mentioned AB for the trundle beds...I heard they are doing away with the trundles and putting in fold out beds that would accomadate adults...any truth to that does anybody know?
I have heard that rumor as well, but am not sure whether it's true or not. In any case, as they are converting all the beds at POR over to queens I think it's likely there won't be room for the trundle beds, at least the way they are now. So it stands to reason that they might put in another kind of convertible bed.

bcornette
09-19-2011, 08:42 PM
according to portorleans.org, the trundle replacement will be a wall mounted fold out bed below the new LCD TVs. The other interesting thing I like about the trundle replacement is that they are supposed to be bigger and no longer limited to a child under 10. This will make POR a realistic option for a family of 5, with older kids.

rhonary
09-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Thats the boat we're in...the kids are too big for the trundle beds now and we love POR...lets hope its true! :thumbsup: