PDA

View Full Version : folding chairs in the parks

JoF
09-19-2011, 07:55 AM
My mum and dad have small folding stools that they would like to take on our upcoming trip. They weigh less than a kilo and are approximately 1/2 metre tall.
I have read (I think on official WDW site) that folding chairs are not allowed in the parks and presume that these stools would count as such?
My parents are 66 and 74 and although are perfectly able bodied, cannot walk long distances or stand for long periods of time. They were hoping to use these while waiting for/watching parades etc but I have told them I don't think it will be allowed.
I know there are lots of benches but I think they thought they could use them as and when they needed a rest.:vacation:
Any thoughts welcome.

MickeysBestPal
09-19-2011, 09:01 AM
I have told them I don't think it will be allowed.

Not very practical, even if they did allow them.

How about renting wheelchairs or EVC's.

There is a lot of walking and standing required at WDW.

Mfarquar
09-19-2011, 09:34 AM
I would go with a wheelchair. You can borrow them from both your on-site Disney resort or the parks. They are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Or, you can also rent them from many companies in Orlando who will deliver them at the beginning of your trip and drop them off at the end. Back in 2006, I was able to get a wheelchair (non-motorized) for my grandmother for $5 a day (she was staying off-site). When she didn't want to use it, someone else usually did (we had older people in our party). She would have never made it through the parks because of the intense amount of walking. She never uses one at home, but Disney is a different story. Hope this helps!

BrerGnat
09-19-2011, 09:57 AM
They can bring in one of those canes that doubles as a folding stool. I've seen those in the parks, and I don't believe they are a problem.

Scar
09-19-2011, 10:11 AM
I've seen someone with one of those walkers with a seat built into it.

DebbieFr
09-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Not very practical, even if they did allow them.

How about renting wheelchairs or EVC's.

There is a lot of walking and standing required at WDW

Can I ask why you think they aren't very practical? That wasnt really the question we were asking. We realise that you couldnt sit places to bloke others view.
They are really small and fit in my backpack.

We arent strangers to WDW and have been plenty of times before to know that you have to walk alot. We only wanted to ask if we could take them in the parks or not.
Our parents do not need wheelchairs just a place to rest.........
Thank you for your replies:D

Polynesian Dweller
09-19-2011, 10:48 AM
My answer is, since you've been to WDW have you seen them in use? I never have. If Disney allowed them people would have folding chairs scattered all over the place and that would clog up walkways and frankly would be a bit dangerous. So I infer that Disney does not allow them.

MickeysBestPal
09-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Can I ask why you think they aren't very practical? That wasnt really the question we were asking. We realise that you couldnt sit places to bloke others view.
They are really small and fit in my backpack.

Sorry that you disliked the way I tried answering your question.

If they were to sit, their view would likely be blocked by those standing.

There are special wheelchair parade viewing areas.

But, since you've been to WDW, you already know that.

BrerGnat
09-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Per official Disney policy (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/theme-parks/#subCategory8):

Are there any personal items I should not bring with me into the theme parks?

Items that you may not bring into the theme parks include but are not limited to:
Items with wheels, such as:
Wagons
Skateboards
Scooters
Inline skates
Shoes with built-in wheels
Strollers larger than 36" x 52" (92 x 132 cm)
Suitcases, coolers or backpacks with or without wheels larger than 24" (61 cm) long x 15" (38 cm) wide x 18" (46 cm) high. (Coolers required for medication may be stored in a locker or at Guest Relations.)
Any trailer-like object that is pushed or towed by an ECV wheelchair or stroller
Alcoholic beverages
Weapons of any kind
Folding chairs
Glass containers (excluding baby food jars and perfume bottles)
Pets (unless they are service animals)
In Disney's Animal Kingdom theme Park (for the safety of the wildlife), balloons, straws and drink lids are not permitted.

crltkcagle
09-19-2011, 11:54 AM
I saw a pregnant lady using one last week. It wasn't very big and she carried it around with her. She used it for the queue and would sit on it while waiting in line. I don't know why Disney can't put seats in the queues. It would make for much happier guest and parents. :D

Dulcee
09-19-2011, 01:01 PM
I've seen older folks with very small fold up stools before (no backs, literally just a tiny seat that folds up small enough to slide into a backpack) that they've used in line and to make their own seats off to the side. Never personally having used one I can't say if a castmember commented on them.

I'd imagine if they used them as seats along parade routes or for fireworks you're more likely to run into issues (blocking people's views, etc) then say just using it off to the side for a break from walking.

PETE FROM NYC
09-19-2011, 03:35 PM
About 25 yrs ago, my FIL had the cane that also has a seat. It worked out great for him, and many folks were asking him where they could purchase one too.

BugeyedMuggy
09-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Sorry others have been a bit negative in their answering. I would suggest bringing them, using them and see how that goes. Maybe check with guest services at the park. Once they see what you are using you can get a good answer. We have gotten many conflicting answers from many cast members over the phone. Disney is very helpful once they see your situation. I have and elderly MIL and she does not need a wheelchair full time but is not able to stand for long periods of time. This would free up a wheelchair for those who really need it. Hope all goes well for you.

09-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Basically, folding chairs, tripod seats, etc., are not allowed in the park. Most get stopped at the turnstiles. If it doesn't have wheels it's not acceptable.

Chairs, benches, stools and such are not allowed on the parade routes due to guest safety. In an emergency, they would be a tripping hazard. We check the parade route in our assigned areas for these all the time.

The bottom line, if it doesn't have wheels, it's not allowed.

BugeyedMuggy
09-19-2011, 04:41 PM
So if wheels are the "bottom line" just add some casters on the legs and there you are :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
09-19-2011, 04:42 PM
I have seen people using the canes with the folding seats before without any problem. If the items in question are basically small stools I think there might be some leniency, but it would be best to ask at Guest Services when you get to the parks. If they say no, you can always look into other options, like mobility devices, if necessary.

I have to say that I don't understand how small folding stools would be any more of a tripping hazard on a parade route than strollers are, or even wheelchairs. That may be the policy but it makes no sense to me.

Main Street Jim
09-19-2011, 04:55 PM
I would suggest bringing them, using them and see how that goes. Maybe check with guest services at the park.

As BrerGnat stated, per official Walt Disney World policy in the theme parks:

Items that you may not bring into the theme parks include but are not limited to:
Items with wheels, such as:
Wagons
Skateboards
Scooters
Inline skates
Shoes with built-in wheels
Strollers larger than 36" x 52" (92 x 132 cm)
Suitcases, coolers or backpacks with or without wheels larger than 24" (61 cm) long x 15" (38 cm) wide x 18" (46 cm) high. (Coolers required for medication may be stored in a locker or at Guest Relations.)
Any trailer-like object that is pushed or towed by an ECV wheelchair or stroller
Alcoholic beverages
Weapons of any kind
Folding chairs
Glass containers (excluding baby food jars and perfume bottles)
Pets (unless they are service animals)
In Disney's Animal Kingdom theme Park (for the safety of the wildlife), balloons, straws and drink lids are not permitted.

Coming from a former Main Street - and Parade Audience Control - CM (myself ;) ), I can tell you that I have gotten into, *ahem*, "discussions" with guests as to why they are not permitted. As has been stated several times, they become a "blocking" issue in walkways and queues. They're also considered a fire hazard (by Disney, not my rules...) if something were to happen and people needed to quickly leave.

Now...I will also say this: *if* they are being used as a "walking aid" - with the "cane"/walking stick type fold-up chairs...not "just any ol' fold-up portable seat" - for elderly folks, or folks that have trouble standing/walking, they may be permitted.

If the items in question are basically small stools I think there might be some leniency.No leniency on them if they're just being used as seats for parades, shows, etc. *However*, as I stated above, if they're used as a walking/standing aid, I would check with Guest Services at the parks, not at the resorts.

09-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Coming from a former Main Street - and Parade Audience Control - CM (myself ;) ), I can tell you that I have gotten into, *ahem*, "discussions" with guests as to why they are not permitted. As has been stated several times, they become a "blocking" issue in walkways and queues. They're also considered a fire hazard (by Disney, not my rules...) if something were to happen and people needed to quickly leave.

Now...I will also say this: *if* they are being used as a "walking aid" - with the "cane"/walking stick type fold-up chairs...not "just any ol' fold-up portable seat" - for elderly folks, or folks that have trouble standing/walking, they may be permitted.

No leniency on them if they're just being used as seats for parades, shows, etc. *However*, as I stated above, if they're used as a walking/standing aid, I would check with Guest Services at the parks, not at the resorts.

Pretty much as he said. I currently work Parade Audience Control and the "cane / walking stick" chairs and 3 legged stools are NOT permitted on the parade route, no leniency. If you have to have that, you will need a wheelchair and you can go to Guest Services and get a Guest Assistance Card. That will allow entrance to the Disability areas for parade, otherwise, no seating.

This topic is covered at almost every day's parade meeting, about chairs and so forth on the parade route.

A lot of the rules and requirements for parades and so forth are really not brought about specifically by Disney. They are state of Florida fire marshal and insurance company requirements or recommendations, even though I'm sure a lot of you will disagree. For example, we are required to keep the shop entrances at the sidewalk clear during the parades. Most people want to stand there and watch but it is a fire marshal requirement to keep them clear.

On the sidewalk, strollers and wheel chairs can be pushed quickly out of the path of a float that would happen to have a steering malfunction and head toward the guests. If that would happen, someone that was seated would care less about his chair, they would get up and clear out, leaving the chair for everyone else to stumble (fall down) over and then be in the path of the (very heavy) float. That would not be a pretty sight.

It's all about guest SAFETY.

MNNHFLTX
09-19-2011, 10:23 PM
On the sidewalk, strollers and wheel chairs can be pushed quickly out of the path of a float that would happen to have a steering malfunction and head toward the guests. If that would happen, someone that was seated would care less about his chair, they would get up and clear out, leaving the chair for everyone else to stumble (fall down) over and then be in the path of the (very heavy) float. That would not be a pretty sight.Considering the size and bulkiness of many of the strollers I see in the parks, I have my doubts about whether they would be quicker to clear out of the way than a small folding stool, especially if the child the stroller belongs to is not actually in the stroller (I picture the parent picking up the child and running, leaving the stroller to block everyone else's path). But as I said--whether it makes sense or not, it is Disney policy. It does sound like there is some confusion about the fold-down seat type of walking canes--you say it is not allowed, but Jim says that they may be permitted. Has policy changed on that in recent years?

09-19-2011, 10:35 PM
It does sound like there is some confusion about the fold-down seat type of walking canes--you say it is not allowed, but Jim says that they may be permitted. Has policy changed on that in recent years?

Been that way since I hired in in early 2009. Not sure when he left MSO, but I think he told me it was 2007.

JoF
09-20-2011, 03:22 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone.
I didn't realise I would start such a debate!
The items I am talking about are literally small folding stools, no backs or arms, that you can carry in a back pack.
We wouldn't want to abuse the system in any way by blocking fire exits or other guests views. But it would just be useful if you were in a slow moving queue, or waiting for a parade to start. For instance, my mum's shoulder and knee play up from time to time - she thought if she had a stool then it would prevent any problems developing and thus spoiling the rest of the holiday. We do not want sympathy or any special treatment, just trying to think of a practical solution.
Maybe we will take them along anyway and then ask at guest relations if they are permitted.
If we can't take them into the parks then fair enough.

Aurora
09-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone.
I didn't realise I would start such a debate!
The items I am talking about are literally small folding stools, no backs or arms, that you can carry in a back pack.
We wouldn't want to abuse the system in any way by blocking fire exits or other guests views. But it would just be useful if you were in a slow moving queue, or waiting for a parade to start. For instance, my mum's shoulder and knee play up from time to time - she thought if she had a stool then it would prevent any problems developing and thus spoiling the rest of the holiday. We do not want sympathy or any special treatment, just trying to think of a practical solution.
Maybe we will take them along anyway and then ask at guest relations if they are permitted.
If we can't take them into the parks then fair enough.

I understand your dilemma. What your parents might want to do, to avoid being disappointed at the gate, is have a rest plan. There are many, many places to sit in the parks, many benches and landscape walls, even along the parade route. The parade does not have to be watched on Main Street -- in Liberty Square and Frontierland there are numerous places to sit -- one just has to get there early enough.

Don't worry and have a great vacation.

MNNHFLTX
09-20-2011, 11:02 AM
I understand your dilemma. What your parents might want to do, to avoid being disappointed at the gate, is have a rest plan. There are many, many places to sit in the parks, many benches and landscape walls, even along the parade route. The parade does not have to be watched on Main Street -- in Liberty Square and Frontierland there are numerous places to sit -- one just has to get there early enough.And if either of your parents would have a rough time waiting in line for extended periods of time, you can always get a guest assistance pass (at Guest Relations) that lists that. That way cast members at those attractions will be able to accommodate them as much as possible.