PDA

View Full Version : Saddest thing you've heard at WDW

K8screen
09-18-2011, 09:17 AM
I've told this story before, a long time ago, but reading the thread about funny things heard, I wanted to tell it again, as it has stuck with me all these years, and also with DS, now 26 with a family of his own.
We were in MK, and DS, then 12, went off by himself to buy a drink. When he came back he was obviously upset about something. When I asked what was the matter, he said he was fine, but nodded towards his little sister, who he didnt want to hear, and whispered he would tell me later. As soon as I could get him alone I asked what had happened. He told me he had seen a family, parents, a boy about his age and a little girl about 6. The parents were arguing loudly, cursing and shouting abuse at each other. The little girl was crying, very distressed, the boy was looking around embarrassed, trying to comfort his sister, and saying to the parents "Please dont fight, we'll be good, we'll do anything, but please dont fight, not here!" The parents ignored him and went on shouting at each other.
DS said he wanted to do something to help them but didnt think he should interfere, so he came back to us. I told him he had done the right thing, there was nothing he could do, and I hugged him, and, when we caught up I hugged both his surprised sisters. (Not that I dont often hug them, but not usually in line for SpM!)
I have often wondered how the day, and the rest of their lives, went for these kids. Was it just a moment of parental meltdown, its not just kids it happens to, or where they living with this all the time and even the most magical place couldnt stop it?

waymickey
09-18-2011, 09:38 AM
I am sorry your son had to see prents behave that way. Itis sad that that the parents involved were so wrapped up in themselves that they could not see that they were hurting their kids and other children as well.

On our last trip we stayed in the parks longer than we usually do. Around 2:00 you could visibly see parents and children reach the meltdown stage. It can be too much for some people to handle, the lines, the heat, the lights, sounds, characters, and colors.

Family rule: leave parks by 1:30 head back to resort for some down time. Return after 5:00.

Janmac
09-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Sad to say, it's not just kids that meltdown. And the kids probably do live with it, all the time. My parents used to meltdown frequently especially when traveling.

The only time we all visited a Disney park together proved to be one of the happiest times I can remember, growing up. We were living in southern California, my dad was employed by IBM, and we all went to IBM night at Disneyland. I was being a difficult teen, not wanting to go to a kid place. My younger brother and sister were the only ones really glad to be at Disneyland.

Towards the end of the night we were riding PotC for the first time. From the very beginning the whole experience was magical. My parents are the once is enough kind but when we exited that ride we were looking questions at each other - do we ride again? Except my mother, who was already most of the way to the entrance. As we ran to catch up, we were saying, We're going again!

I don't recall before or after ever seeing my mother so completely, utterly transported to a happier place. I learned that night that WDW is not just a kid place.

Hopefully, amongst the bickering, more unhappy parents can find a small bit of happiness at WDW, even if it looks as tho they are not having a very good time. And maybe those unhappy kids will be happier parents at Disney parks, in the future.

Sometimes, the most magical place can make a difference.

Jan

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-18-2011, 10:17 AM
A Disney trip, for many people is a once or twice in a lifetime experience, so there is a lot of pressure, expectations and emotions all wrapped up in the "Disney trip". That can lead to a lot more stress than even the most magical place can remove.

But, my sad story shows how the magic can help heal too!

On our honeymoon, DH and I were eating at LTT in the MK. Beside us was a table with two women and their children. One of the kids, a young boy (probably around 4 or 5) had a backpack, with a large picture of a face on it). I commented on it as we sat down "how silly is that", or something to the like.

As the meal progressed, we overheard the server ask about the backpack. Well, it turns out that the picture is the Dad, who was unexpectedly deployed to Iraq. Since Dad couldn't come on the trip any more, Mom and kid decided to come with friends, and bring him along (through the picture) so they could share all of their Disney adventures with him. The boy talked all about the great time he was having, but how he wished his Dad was there with him.

Well, I teared up, the server teared up and I think even Minnie (there were still characters at LTT then) teared up.

The magic kicked in though, all of the characters appeared and signed a special "memories book" that was suddenly found, a special picture for Dad, etc. For a few minutes everyone was focused on sending good memories to Dad and making the boy feel super-special, and many talked about how brave he was being.

So, a long post, but it was the saddest thing I'd ever seen, even as the Disney magic worked to make a sad time a little less sad.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
09-18-2011, 11:24 AM
My husband and I went Jan/Feb. of 2009 to celebrate our 20th anniversary. As we were hold hands and strolling through Epcot, we over heard a young couple who had on "Honeymoon" buttons with the wife looking at the husband saying, "See, they are OLD and they are having a great time together. They understand what it is all about. Why don't you get it?" And it went on. We ended up veering off on a side path because we were tired of hearing the nagging, but how sad that their honeymoon wasn't a happy occasion.

Patricia
09-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Saddest thing I ever saw was in the Pop Century MK bus queue one morning.

A young family with a boy around 10 and a girl around 7 were in front of us. The parents were arguing and getting loud. I was very uncomfortable standing there with my sons and their children were visably upset. Finally the Mother pulled the kids out of the line and went to sit on a bench against the building, the Dad stormed into the resort store. Just then, the bus pulled up. I boarded and looked back at the bench as we pulled away and the kids were sitting there watching us drive off and the little girl started to sob.. it broke my heart. :(

Womble
09-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Saddest thing I've heard is parents telling children that they must enjoy themselves because of the money they've spent!

KAT1811
09-18-2011, 01:13 PM
The saddest thing I have ever seen in Disney was a young couple complaining about the children around them on the bus. The girl was visibly irritated at a baby crying (not badly or over the top, just a typical baby cry) and had no problem complaining about it. Hello, you're in Disney, kids are part of the package! Even the crying ones, it happens (not to mention we were staying at the All Star Movies not the GF). Some day her child (or a child very close to her heart) will be upset and crying, she'll be sad that they are upset and I hope she looks back at her attitude and impatience with the poor baby on the bus.

Kairi_7378
09-18-2011, 04:42 PM
We were waiting on the dock of the WL to go back to the MK and had to wait for those people to disembark from the boat. A small girl dropped her toy and shrieked "Wait!" to her parents. (She sounded like she'd hit her "limit" for the day.) Her father yelled, "I don't want to hear it when you loose it in the lake and start to cry!" DH was absolutely shocked.

eire
09-18-2011, 05:06 PM
While staying at the Polynesian, I met a wonderful mom who told me that she and her family were "living the dream" during their trip. After saying something like, "oh yeah, Disney is great" she told me that her 4 year old daughter had 2 months to live and they were there for her Make-A-Wish trip and that her daughter kept thanking her husband and her. My heart broke a little bit that day, but it made me see what a wonderful organization Make a Wish is and I support it in memory of that little girl.

jillluvsdisney
09-19-2011, 11:14 AM
This was sad but so touching at the same time. I think it represents the best of Disney.

FOTLK. There was a young girl in a wheelchair with her parents. She some very severe disabilities. She was holding a Pumba stuffed animal and we were sitting in Pumba's section.

At the end of the show when the cast walks around with kids from the audience, they wheeled her around. Her eyes were lit up like diamonds. My dad and I just sat there crying.
It still chokes me up thinking about it.

crltkcagle
09-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Three days ago I didn't hear something sad but witnessed something that made me so angry I had to get away from these people! This family was walking from the parking lot to the TTC. They had a little girl probably about 18 months of one of those leash things. They were walking extremely fast and you could tell her little legs couldn't keep up. She was crying and holding her arms up for them to hold her. The just ignored her and kept pulling her leash like she was a dog! This went on for the entire walk from the Minnie parking lot to the TTC. I felt so bad for this little baby girl. You could tell she was exhausted trying to keep up with her family but they just kept pulling her along on her leash so they could get to the monorail quickly. I wanted to snatch her up and carry her and give the mother a piece of my mind. We took the ferry because I could not bare to keep watching this! I keep saying some people do NOT deserve to have children and this woman was obviously one of them! How would she feel is someone put her on a leash and dragged her around like a dog while she was exhausted! Ok sorry I had to speak my piece now I am done. :mickey: But the story you shared was very sad as well. :(

Terra
09-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Saddest thing I've heard is parents telling children that they must enjoy themselves because of the money they've spent!

That is awful :( My sad moments are similar to many of all of your posts. Mainly seeing families melting down together. Tired kids, with parents pushing them to do more because they HAVE spent a lot of money. But not realizing that children are human beings too and need breaks and can only handle so much.

I'm very fortunate to live near WDW and have passes, so it's much easier for us to just go a few hours or take it easy the whole day. Sometimes I do wish people would just slow down and "enjoy the moment" though. In the end sanity and having a few happy memories is so much more fulfilling than cramming everything in, then looking back and remember only being tired, cranky and fighting!

Dulcee
09-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Quite a few years ago on a trip my father started a conversation with a couple while waiting in line at a food court with my younger sister, then just a toddler. Long story short they ended up being very honest, saying they had been there two years earlier with their own young daughter compliments of a Make a Wish trip. They had since started coming back on the anniversary of the trip, sadly since she had passed, because of how important the memories of that trip was for them.

My parents took in that trip with a whole different light after meeting that couple.

MNNHFLTX
09-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Yes, the saddest sights I ever see at WDW are of tired, over-heated children. Sure, some of these parents got strollers for their children, but the parks are still huge, hot much of the time and with the constant stimulus of color, noise and crowds. It would be better, IMHO, to decide to take it at a slower pace (kid-paced, I used to tell my husband), take breaks and just accept they will not be able to see everything. They will have less-stressed children and happier, more relaxed memories of their time together.

ChipNDale79
09-19-2011, 01:17 PM
My wife and i were discussing this thread earlier this morning, she reminded me of when we were waiting in line to ride Big Thunder a few years ago. There was a family in line behind us, the young girl must have been 7 or 8, she was going through the park map and told her dad she wanted to check out the hall of presidents. I remember her dad laughing at her and calling her a dork for wanting to see Hall of Presidents.

Dulcee
09-19-2011, 01:44 PM
My wife and i were discussing this thread earlier this morning, she reminded me of when we were waiting in line to ride Big Thunder a few years ago. There was a family in line behind us, the young girl must have been 7 or 8, she was going through the park map and told her dad she wanted to check out the hall of presidents. I remember her dad laughing at her and calling her a dork for wanting to see Hall of Presidents.

:( That makes me sad. I hate when I see parents knocking kids for liking books, science, history or anything they might consider "nerdy." Too many parents are concerned with their kids being "cool."

Mousemates
09-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Womble Saddest thing I've heard is parents telling children that they must enjoy themselves because of the money they've spent

that would be number one. Number two would be unappreciative (translated spoiled) kids/teens who purposefully refuse to smile and enjoy themselves just to deprive their parents of the joy of knowing they made their children happy.

Terra
09-19-2011, 04:06 PM
that would be number one. Number two would be unappreciative (translated spoiled) kids/teens who purposefully refuse to smile and enjoy themselves just to deprive their parents of the joy of knowing they made their children happy.
I've seen this happen too, but even with my own children, when they are having off times, I just think 'in the end they aren't hurting me or preventing me from smiling or having fun. They'll be the ones missing out. So I have all the more fun :)'.

teamblackwell
09-20-2011, 01:36 AM
I've never really experienced any heart breaking moments at a Disney property. One time we were exiting Epcot and a nice older lady's "ecv" ran out of battery juice near Canada. I pushed her to the bus stop and then to her room at POP. It was sad that nobody else offered to help her. I guess the saddest thing I've heard was when a CM told me she was sold out of churro's for the evening. That was a tough one.

Aurora
09-20-2011, 01:55 AM
The girl was visibly irritated at a baby crying (not badly or over the top, just a typical baby cry) and had no problem complaining about it.

This happened to me and my son (who was 1 at the time) while flying home from WDW. DS started to cry and then fell asleep. When he woke up, he started crying again, and as I was trying to comfort him, the woman across the aisle from me said loudly, "Oh, for G's sake."

I looked over at her and asked in the same volume, "WHAT would you like me to do?" She shut her mouth and didn't say a thing for the rest of the flight.

Maggiemazc
09-20-2011, 11:55 AM
We were at the MK watching the 3pm parade with a family from Make a Wish Foundation. A little boy with terminal cancer was in a wheelchair with his family and they all had on Make a Wish shirts. As the parade went by one of the characters on a float (the beast from Beauty and the Beast) noticed the little boy and his family and gestured several times from his heart to the family and wiped a pretend tear from his eye. It was the most touching experience- the little boys mother broke down in tears and hugged her precious son. God Bless them!

Jodi
09-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Two years ago while experiencing the Pirate and Pals Firework adventure for the first time, there was a family with a toddler that screamed and cried the entire boat ride. Neither the parents or grandparents could console the child and the mom just broke down sobbing. I felt sooo bad for her, wish i could have helped in some way. I think the child was on overload, parents tired, just spilled over. Made me want to cry with her.

MissMaryPoppins
09-20-2011, 11:37 PM
In 2002 my family and I were staying at the Contemporary and on the evening we arrived my brother and I went for a walk by the pool and ended up on the sand on bay lake. We noticed some ducks and after getting duck food we sat on the sand and waited for the ducks to come. As we were talking I sensed someone on the other side of me and turned to see a little girl sitting next to me. She looked about 8 and she was wearing a hat and I could tell right away she had lost her hair to chemo. She asked me where we got the duck food and I pointed it out but gave her a big handful of what we had. We sat there for a little while and she told us she was from Texas and this was a special vacation for her and her family so they were in Disney for 2 whole weeks. After a few minutes her mom called for her, we all said goodbye and she was off. The next afternoon I was sitting by the pool with my parents and she came right up to my chair and began chatting again. She said she was about to jump into the pool when she saw me and thought I might want to join her. I was about to go in myself and since she was becoming my vacation buddy I joined her. I noticed my parents talking to her parents. When we got ou of the pool my parents told me her parents them she had a very rare pediatric cancer that effects the female reproductive system. Not only had she gone through chemo and I believe radiation but major surgery too. They had just been told she was in remission so they were celebrating in Disney World. It was sad that she was so young going through something so awful but it was nice to see how happy and friendly she was. I think about her once in a while and wonder how she's doing.

MissMaryPoppins
09-21-2011, 12:01 AM

That is sad! If that was my little girl I'd be so proud that she has interest in learning about our country. My father was friends with someone like that father. He was at our house once with his wife and their two kids and I was disgusted with the way he treated his daughter. He told us how she won an award at school for writing an essay on the Viet Nam wall in DC and how he didn't even know what it was until she told him. I couldn't believe he was that ignorant! My father was in Viet Nam and my mom's cousin lost her husband in the war, his name on the wall. We've been there many times and I even remember my father going to DC for the opening when I was a little girl. It was something my parents made sure my brother and I knew about from a very young age. That day made me glad my parents encouraged my brother and I to be curious about the world.

SandmanGStefani24
09-21-2011, 12:44 AM
mine is..

"if this concludes your stay at Walt Disney World...we hope you enjoyed your stay..."

Not sure if I got that part exactly right as I try to block out that part of of the monorail speech. I hate to think about leaving but for some reason that line snaps me back to reality and always makes me a little sad. This doesn't really go with the way this thread has been going but it is something I thought right away when reading the title and something I think everyone here can relate to.

borisfam
09-21-2011, 05:39 AM
I saw a frustrated man kick a bird that was in his way near the french fry stand in Epcot. The bird exploded like a pillow and two children screamed as the dead bird landed in front of them. I headed straight to England for a pint.

Mousemates
09-21-2011, 11:30 AM
I saw a frustrated man kick a bird that was in his way near the french fry stand in Epcot. The bird exploded like a pillow and two children screamed as the dead bird landed in front of them. I headed straight to England for a pint.

I think it likely required more than a pint to cleanse that sad image from the palette of the mind. Poor kids...and most of all poor bird.

MNNHFLTX
09-21-2011, 02:20 PM
I saw a frustrated man kick a bird that was in his way near the french fry stand in Epcot. The bird exploded like a pillow and two children screamed as the dead bird landed in front of them. I headed straight to England for a pint.There are some truly hideous people in the world, even Disney World. :(

I think I would have told a CM what happened--there are laws in FL related to animal cruelty

PirateLover
09-21-2011, 06:54 PM
I haven't seen anything sad, per say. I did witness some pretty pathetic behavior on this most recent trip though. My hubby developed a headache while we were at Epcot, and we forgot to pack our medicine, so we went to the First Aid center in the Odyssey building. When we came out, there was a group of about 5 teen/early 20s males leaning over the railings trying to hit the ducks with their spit :mad: I gave them a death stare and one of them noticed me and got the others to stop and move along.

buzznwoodysmom
09-21-2011, 07:25 PM
mine is..

"if this concludes your stay at Walt Disney World...we hope you enjoyed your stay..."

This is mine as well. Its so sad to come to the end of a vacation. We always take a last spin on the monorail before we leave and that line always gets me.

Dulcee
09-21-2011, 09:32 PM

If I had seen that man...well lets just say he'd have to contend with a very angry little blonde.

KAT1811
09-21-2011, 10:28 PM
If I had seen that man...well lets just say he'd have to contend with a very angry little blonde.

You and me both! And you don't mess with a blonde! ;)