PDA

View Full Version : Pop Century Question

DisneyRN
09-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Which buildings are standard vs the preferred? Is preferred worth the extra money?

I have heard there really aren't bad buildings there... True or not? :confused:

snowflakegirl
09-17-2011, 10:35 PM
We stayed in the 50s building a few years ago. It's a non-preferred, but we thought it was fine. It's technically a longer walk to the bus stops and main building, but we didn't find it to be that long a walk. And we actually had a nice view off the balcony in front of our room over the lake. I think i preferred that location over the closer, actually. We found it to be a little quieter than buildings nearer to the food court, hippie dippie pool, etc. That said, I took a walk one evening around the resort and don't think that any of it is too far away and the theming is fun throughout.

Tink#64
09-17-2011, 11:28 PM
I'm not sure anymore which building are considered preferred since they changed the line up there. We have stayed in bldg #4 of the 60's section (preferred room) 4 times and and really liked that area. We've also stayed twice in bldg #10 of the 70's section (standard room location) and I actually prefer that! IMHO bldg #9 of the 90's section & bldg #10 of the 70's section (both standard) are the closest to the bus stops which is very important to me! You can walk out on the sidewalk path to the front of Classic Hall on the end where the bus stops are located. We make more trips back & forth to the bus stops than anywhere else on property. These bldg's are super close to the computer pool (quiet pool). It's still a very short walk to Hour Glass Lake, Hippy Dippy Pool (main pool), & to the food court & gift shop, & etc. located in Classic Hall.

The rooms are all the same, with the exception of the handicapped accessible rooms, and all of the grounds are lovely, so it's just a matter of personal preference. Have you looked on the map of Pop to see the resort layout? That might help you decide what bldg you'd like to request. :thumbsup:

BugeyedMuggy
09-18-2011, 07:30 AM
We have not stayed at pop in quite awhile but the one time we did not pay for preferred we got the farthest room facing the parking lot. It was a very long walk to everything. The only way we got a different room was when we opened the door it smelled so bad of smoke it was nausiating. From then on at Pop we always paid the few extra $'s for a preferred room.

LVT
09-18-2011, 08:59 AM
It seems to be chance. We stayed at a preferred room once and it was not a better location than the random room we had the other 4 times.

AllDisney
09-18-2011, 04:09 PM
We have never requested a preferred room & have never been disappointed:secret:

nfrustaci
09-20-2011, 09:34 AM
i think the 50, 60 and 70 are preffered. the last time we stayed in the 90's and it was a little too far for us. too quiet over there. i felt like i was away from all the magic. it is just a personal preferrence. have stayed in the 50's facing the pool and the 70's in both buildings. we like the 50's best. just to the right of the hippy dippy pool when you are facing the pool.

tennantsrwe
09-20-2011, 09:42 AM
We always stay at POP and from what I was told when making our most recent reservation...there are preferred rooms in every building. I have found if you just request a particular building they usually try to accommodate you. For example we request the 50s or 60s buildings as they're close to the front desk, cafe, etc....we don't pay the upcharge for the 'perferred room' since we don't care about the actual room location as long as it's in the closer building. Again, it is only a request so there is no sure bet you will get what you're asking for but Disney has been great at honoring our requests in the past. We do tend to go when it is less busy so maybe that's why we have no issue.

SandmanGStefani24
09-20-2011, 11:40 AM
we've done both and I don't think the preferred rooms were all that much better. the walks can be long, especially if you go for that late snack after being at the parks all day. we actually drove from the 80s building to the food halls parking area once night hehe...

I like the idea of staying in different areas each visit so the prefered area is something I'm glad i did but don't necessarily need to do again. preferred POP rooms often have good views of nighttime fireworks though...

DisneyRN
09-20-2011, 06:05 PM
What is a good building to request if we are going to drive our personal vehicle to parks most days (i.e. which building is close to the front building and parking lots)?

Does that make sense? :confused:

SandmanGStefani24
09-20-2011, 11:25 PM
What is a good building to request if we are going to drive our personal vehicle to parks most days (i.e. which building is close to the front building and parking lots)?

Does that make sense? :confused:

hmm...the 80s and 90s buildings arent close to the main building, but the parking lots are usually almost empty leaving you many spots very close to the building. the last trip at POP we parked so close we could see our car from our room.

Tink#64
09-20-2011, 11:35 PM
The 9o's bldg #9 & the 70's bldg #10, are both very close to the 90's parking lot. Which is just to the right of Classic Hall if you are walking out of the gift shop doors! Which obviously would be just to the left of Classic Hall if you are driving in & facing the building. This is also the end of Classic Hall wher the bus stops are located. Of course the bus stops stretch quite a ways on front of the building, between this parking lot & the gift shop entrance. :thumbsup:

Have you checked out Pop's propert map? That could be very helpful in your decision making process. It's available here: http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/maps/images/popcentury07.jpg

mrmcgiv
09-30-2011, 11:16 AM
We were just there in Aug and were in Building 2 in the 50's. I requested my room on proximity to the parking lot as we had our car. We were ground level so we could walk right to the bowling pool but we were set back by the lake so we did not hear all of the pool noise. We were able to walk right out the door and walk past the lake to get to the 50's parking and it always seemed like there was PLeNTY of spots left back there. I think our room was 2163?? We were right across from bldg three in the back near the bowling pin on the map. It looks far on the map to get to classic hall, but really it was not bad at all and a nice walk. It was nothing like as far as we have been form the main area at CSR and CBR. We loved Pop and had a great room location I would suggest when you check in to make your request and look at the map to see that you are happy with your room. The lady checking us in pulled out a map and circled our room choices that were available and let us pick :) We did not have a preferred room and probably would not pay for one at POP. My daughter and i walked the whole resort and while not tiny it seemed pretty manageable to navigate no matter where you are. There are some areas in the back of the 60s that seem far from the parking lot though!