PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on divorce for college course

pink
09-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Hi everyone! I haven't posted on here in awhile but I haven't forgot about Intercot.

I'm currently in my senior year of college and one of my more recent projects is conducting a poll on strangers views on divorce. If you wouldn't mind answering a few questions for me I would really appreciate it.

1. What do you think if the leading cause of divorce for married couples today?

2. Do you feel that divorce is more socially acceptable today?

3. Are you male or female?

4. What is your age? (Or age range if you don't want to say your exact age)

5. Are you married?

6. Are you divorced?

Thank you so much. Have a great day! :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-16-2011, 11:10 PM
1) I'd say the leading cause could either be infidelity or fights over money.
2) It's not necessarily that it's more acceptable, it just doesn't have the stygmatism (sp?) that it used to have. It's more common now so you don't have to feel embarrassed.
3) female
4) 50-55 age range
5) never married
6) not divorced

I hope this helps.

Tiggerlovr9000
09-17-2011, 03:14 AM
Hi everyone! I haven't posted on here in awhile but I haven't forgot about Intercot.

I'm currently in my senior year of college and one of my more recent projects is conducting a poll on strangers views on divorce. If you wouldn't mind answering a few questions for me I would really appreciate it.

5. Are you married?

6. Are you divorced?

1 selfishness and the myth that we are supposed to be happy all the time
2 yes it is more socially acceptable
3 female
4 48
5 yes
6 no

VWL Mom
09-17-2011, 07:26 AM
1. What do you think if the leading cause of divorce for married couples today? infidelity

2. Do you feel that divorce is more socially acceptable today? yes, but I also think it's a reflection of today's society as a whole that can't seem to grasp commitment whether it be job, marriage, family etc

3. Are you male or female? female

4. What is your age? (Or age range if you don't want to say your exact age) 55

5. Are you married? yes - 32 years

6. Are you divorced? no

micky95
09-17-2011, 07:52 AM
these are my personal experiences 1.too young just turned 20. 2 yes 3. male 4.50 5. remarried at 38 and still on my honeymoon. 6.divorced after 14 years.you'll get a lot of different reasons for divorce.i know people who got divorced for cheating,money, grown apart.in all these situations each person should take some responsibility for their marriages failure.i hope this helps.

Mfarquar
09-17-2011, 08:13 AM
Lack of effective communication that slowly creates a distance between 2 people and/or financial issues

Yes, definitely and has been for awhile. There's a reason why "starter marriages" are so common now. I don't know if people always realize what a giant, life-long commitment they are making because divorce is so acceptable. I've heard too many people I know who are engaged say, "Oh well, if it doesn't work out I can always get divorced". While that's absolutely true and no one should be trapped in a loveless marriage, it's kinda creepy to hear so early in someone's relationship!

4. What is your age? (Or age range if you don't want to say your exact age) 31

5. Are you married? yes

6. Are you divorced? no

disneymom15
09-17-2011, 09:57 AM
1. What do you think if the leading cause of divorce for married couples today? infidelity

2. Do you feel that divorce is more socially acceptable today? yes, but I also think it's a reflection of today's society as a whole that can't seem to grasp commitment whether it be job, marriage, family etc

4. What is your age? (Or age range if you don't want to say your exact age) 55

5. Are you married? yes - 32 years

6. Are you divorced? no

Ditto on all of "VWL Mom" answers except my age is 51.

CosmicRay
09-17-2011, 11:01 AM
1. What do you think if the leading cause of divorce for married couples today? Money

2. Do you feel that divorce is more socially acceptable today? Unfortunately I think it is.

3. Are you male or female? Female

4. What is your age? (Or age range if you don't want to say your exact age) 35

5. Are you married? Yes - 15 wonderful years

6. Are you divorced? No

A Big Kid
09-17-2011, 01:06 PM

Unreasonable expectations

Of course

Male
4. What is your age? (Or age range if you don't want to say your exact age

5. Are you married?

Going on 24 years

6. Are you divorced?

Nope

:

For those who said that infidelity was the leading cause: infidelity is a symptom of a much larger problem in a marriage. Address the problems before they manifest themselves into infidelity.

wdwaggie
09-17-2011, 01:22 PM
1) Young adults are getting married too early before they know who they are or what they want. The ease of getting married and getting divorced.

2) Yes

3) Male

4) 39

5) Happily Married for 6 years

6) Divorced 8 years ago

Good Luck with your research!

badkitty
09-17-2011, 02:03 PM
1. What do you think if the leading cause of divorce for married couples today? I think not knowing how to communicate with each other. Plus, getting married too young and thinking that issues while dating will "go away" and that a person will "change". I was married at 19 years old (ex was 21) and the issues we had in the beginning were the same issues that ended up spliting us apart.
2. Do you feel that divorce is more socially acceptable today? Yes but it shouldn't be. It is too easy to end a relationship without really trying to work it out.
4. What is your age? (Or age range if you don't want to say your exact age) 48
5. Are you married? No
6. Are you divorced? Yes. (I was married for 14 years.)

badkitty
09-17-2011, 02:06 PM
For those who said that infidelity was the leading cause: infidelity is a symptom of a much larger problem in a marriage. Address the problems before they manifest themselves into infidelity.

Absolutely but both parties need to be willing to address the problems. I am speaking from experience.

disney obsessed
09-17-2011, 02:21 PM
1. Lack of true comitment. Marriage seems to be a disposible commodity these days. It's a lot of work. You either work at it or you are not committed enough to work at it.

2. yes

3.female

4. 49

5. yes

6. no

MNNHFLTX
09-17-2011, 03:51 PM
1. I think communication (lack of communication, differences in ways of communicating, etc) is a big reason why couples end up going their separate ways. If people don't have the tools to work things out in a relationship, all the other problems that come up will do them in.

2. Not sure how to answer this one. Is it more acceptable today than when my parents were young? Yes. But it's probably been more socially acceptable since I was a kid. In fact, I am surprised at how many of my old high school classmates are divorced or have been divorced.

3. Female

4. 50

5. Married--yes

6. Divorced--no

Janmac
09-17-2011, 04:13 PM
1. What do you think if the leading cause of divorce for married couples today? Inability to communicate and faulty understanding of personal expectations

2. Do you feel that divorce is more socially acceptable today? absolutely

4. What is your age? (Or age range if you don't want to say your exact age) 58

5. Are you married? yes

6. Are you divorced? No

SBETigg
09-17-2011, 04:16 PM
1. Differences of opinion and inability to compromise, in matters of money, fidelity, parenting, and other things.

2. Divorce has been socially acceptable for a long while and I do think it becomes more socially acceptable every year, every day. If two people are not happy together, it's better to split up than stay miserable. But I do think people give up too easily sometimes.

3. Female.

4. 42

5. Married (for 21 years, since I was 21).

6. Divorced, never.

pink
09-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Thank you for your opinions. I really appreciate it! :mickey:

citizensnoopy
09-18-2011, 03:08 AM
1. What do you think if the leading cause of divorce for married couples today? Unrealistic expectations, infidelity

2. Do you feel that divorce is more socially acceptable today? Yes

4. What is your age? (Or age range if you don't want to say your exact age) 28

5. Are you married? No

6. Are you divorced? No

PirateLover
09-18-2011, 05:30 PM

Not being fully committed/unrealistic expectations, lack of communication,

Yes. Sadly, with 50% of marriages ending in divorce, I think that's a given.

4. What is your age? (Or age range if you don't want to say your exact age) 25

5. Are you married? yes

6. Are you divorced? no

TheDuckRocks
09-19-2011, 12:47 PM
1. What do you think if the leading cause of divorce for married couples today? Not completely realizing the total commitment that marriage should be.
4. What is your age? (Or age range if you don't want to say your exact age) 68
5. Are you married? Yes, 49 years.

6. Are you divorced? No, never have been and our marriage has like any other had it's rough patches.

Hope this helps.

Dulcee
09-19-2011, 01:06 PM
1. What do you think if the leading cause of divorce for married couples today? Money issues.

2. Do you feel that divorce is more socially acceptable today? I think its less stigmatized then it was thirty years ago.

4. What is your age? (Or age range if you don't want to say your exact age)24

5. Are you married?Nope but I'm engaged

6. Are you divorced?nope

minnie04
09-19-2011, 02:09 PM
1: MONEY !!! MONEY!!! MONEY!!!
2: YES
3: FEMALE
4: 43
5: YES
6: NO :mickey:

DisneyDINK
09-19-2011, 02:28 PM
1. What do you think if the leading cause of divorce for married couples today? Choosing the wrong partner before you're ready to get married.

2. Do you feel that divorce is more socially acceptable today? Yes.

3. Are you male or female? Male

4. What is your age? (Or age range if you don't want to say your exact age) 40

5. Are you married? Yes

6. Are you divorced? No

diz_girl
09-19-2011, 03:20 PM
1. Unrealistic expectations and lack of effective communication, coupled with an instant gratification society.

2. Yes, which can be either good or bad, depending on the circumstances. People who were unhappy in their marriages stayed together 'for the kids' or because the wife was dependent on the husband for the family's income, which made for lots of miserable marriages and bad marriage examples for their kids. There are just as many miserable marriages now as there were 40-50 years ago. You just couldn't get out of them because of the social stigma attached. I wouldn't place blame on a specific generation or age group. Actually, my generation (Gen X) is probably more committed to marriage than the generations before or after, specifically because they were the latch-key kid generation, the first generation of kids with divorced parents of any significant number.

3. Female

4. 42

5. Yes - 15 years

6. No

emerzmom
09-20-2011, 06:01 PM
1. I agree with many of the opinions already stated however I think that an additional reason couples divorce today (as opposed to say 25+ years ago) is the social acceptance of women in the work force which makes it financially possible to live independently. I think many women (like my mom) used to stay in an unhappy marriage because they didn't have the financial means to leave.
2. Yes, it is more socially acceptable.
3. Female
4. Married once
5. Currently divorced

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-21-2011, 08:27 AM
1. Adultery
2. Yes definitely more acceptable today
3.female
4. 41
5. no
6. no

Mammabruski
09-21-2011, 02:54 PM
1. What do you think if the leading cause of divorce for married couples today? Way too many causes, but I think cheating is the #1 reason followed closely by stress due to money...

4. What is your age? 33

5. Are you married? Yes

6. Are you divorced? No

SandmanGStefani24
09-21-2011, 06:37 PM
1. getting married too soon
2. yes
3. male
4. 26-34
5. yes
6. no

kemps@wdw
09-24-2011, 11:07 PM

5. Are you married?

6. Are you divorced?

1. Lack of comunication. As cliche' as that sounds, it's true.
2. Most certainly! Most newer married couples simply don't want to put in the extra effort to make it work. Fight/make-up, agree to disagree, forget it and move along!
3. Female
4. 50
5. Married (over 30 yrs) Twice as long as my parents were.
6. Not yet :D Haven't found a reason to be.
I'm reminded of an old (really old) Ann Lander's column I read, where she responded to someone's divorce question with this advice..."ask yourself 2 questions when thinking about divorce. Is the issue/trangression worth divorcing over and would you be better off without them?" So far, I've not answered yes to either of them.

Mousemates
10-10-2011, 12:18 PM
1. What do you think if the leading cause of divorce for married couples today? Selfishness as expressed in sexuality, communication and finances.

2. Do you feel that divorce is more socially acceptable today? yes

3. Are you male or female? male

4. What is your age? (Or age range if you don't want to say your exact age) 40-50

5. Are you married? y

6. Are you divorced? n

ImagiAsh
10-10-2011, 12:36 PM
1. Money and married too young.

2. Yes

3. Female

4. 24

5. No

6. No

Boojum
10-14-2011, 08:57 AM
1. Too many folks go into marriage without realizing how much commitment and work is involved. They also don't discuss important stuff ahead of time. I've known three married couples who split because one wanted kids and the other didn't and somehow this didn't get discussed before the wedding.

2. Divorce is much more accepted today. I can remember, being a small child in the 1960s, when divorced people were somewhat ostracized, especially the women.

3. I'm female.

4. I'm 46.

5. I've been married 21 years. Never been divorced.

Hope this helps!

Bethanymouse
11-18-2011, 10:35 PM
1. What do you think if the leading cause of divorce for married couples today? Communication is one, and getting into "ruts" is another.

4. What is your age? (Or age range if you don't want to say your exact age) 29

5. Are you married? Yes

6. Are you divorced? No

Hair_Razor
11-18-2011, 10:58 PM
1 not communicating
2 yes
3 female
4 33
5 yes
6 no

Sidebar to this, I have noticed there seems to be a clear connection to the people going on here. There seems to be lots of no's in your divorce column could it be... Disney? ;)

brivers222
11-22-2011, 02:18 PM
1. What do you think if the leading cause of divorce for married couples today? Communication is key, but Finances and in ability to compromise are very huge issues

3. Are you male or female? male

4. What is your age? (Or age range if you don't want to say your exact age) 34

5. Are you married? Re-married Yes, as of 11.12.11

6. Are you divorced? Yes... 07.10.08 (after 5 years of Marriage)

captain j
11-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Two things come to mind.
A. Money issues
B. The internet

Yes

Male

Soon to be 56

5. Are you married?
Yes...going on 35 years.

6. Are you divorced?
No