PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

KatrinaJ91
09-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Getting ready to book reservations for Christmas...figured we could save over $200 by staying at Pop Century instead of POR (which is our fav). We absolutely LOVE POR and I have stayed at Pop once for a short trip. We are actually there to spend Christmas with my daughter who is a cast member and prob won't be in the room for any length of time. What would you do??

johnO
09-16-2011, 11:35 PM
Timeds are tough, save the cash...

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
09-17-2011, 03:34 AM
Pop!

A Big Kid
09-17-2011, 06:48 AM
You asked...no way in Its A Small World I'd ever stay at a value again.

VWL Mom
09-17-2011, 07:07 AM
I'd got with your fav POR. It's Christmas and the last thing you want is to be disappointed because you wish yo were there. You could always cut out some gift giving to make up for it.

retiredfigment
09-17-2011, 08:29 AM
WL and POR were always my favorite. But when presented with the chance to go more often if we spent less on lodging, POP became a fav. But, if walking is an issue, you spend a lot of time in the room, you use the pools alot, you want more amenities or you we will absolutely crushed go with POR. Me - I just want a place to lay my weary head at the end of the day. We spend very little time in the room.

mickeyman42
09-17-2011, 08:35 AM
I'd say stay where YOU want. with that said I don't really get why people think the moderates are so much better than the values. Yes you get a fridge, coffee maker to make terrible coffee, extra sink, and 20 sq feet of space, but for $50 extra a day guess what, I could buy a fridge and coffee maker if I was so inclined. Yes the resorts are lovely and the pools are more themed and they have 1 TS restaurant but if you're barely going to be there then it only makes sense to compare the rooms, since the other resort amenities will hardly be used. Now I'm not saying that the All-stars are amazing, don't get me wrong, they are super 8 with mickey's, but I just dont think that the moderates are much better, certainly not worth what you pay for. In fact the only time I would consider a moderate is if free dining was available, since for us it would be $60 to upgrade the QSDP to regular DDP, just as well to stay at a moderate, otherwise its value or deluxe depending on how much we are inclined to spend and how much we plan on being at the resort

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Tough one!

I think it depends on a couple of things:

1. Do you have the extra $200 to spend on the trip? If you're getting tight, save the money and stay at POP.

2. Will you just spend the trip "missing" POR? If you're really going to miss it, and spend the trip comparing, then go for POR. This would be the big one for us, we love POFQ and wouldn't feel at 'home' anywhere else.

3. Are you going for long enough to split your stay? You could save a bit, and try somewhere new, but still have some time at a favourite.

Either way, enjoy your trip!

dinahvixen
09-17-2011, 10:03 AM
We don't generally spend much time in our room either, but we do love the grounds at POR, and for that sheer relaxation and environment, it's worth the extra money for us. And although I have never been at Christmas, I can only imagine the decor as compared to POP. And you said you LOVE POR, which suggests you may regret POP. I love that waking up to that river view and all the lushness of POR, sitting outside the MIll watching the horses and boats and people gto by. The 200 bucks could be your present to yourself!

Jeri Lynn
09-17-2011, 11:32 AM
I would stay at POR.

One year we decided to split our stay between the Beach Club and the Animal Kingdom Lodge, with the BC being our favorite. Although we really liked the lodge as time got closer we really wanted to spend all our time at the BC but there was no availability to make the change and stay at the BC the entire time.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-17-2011, 02:09 PM
How many will be in the room? How tight is money? I think POR is beautiful and we didn't care for POP, still I wouldn't spend the extra $200 if it would put me in a bind. If its not really a problem then, spend the $200 and be happy.

brownie
09-17-2011, 03:07 PM
I'd stay at Pop Century for the savings and I like the food court better.

KatrinaJ91
09-17-2011, 09:51 PM
Lots of good points and lots to think about....decision time is coming up soon! Thanks everyone!

Gregandmel
09-18-2011, 08:51 AM
It really comes down to how much time you actually spend at your resort to determine if the extra cost is worth it. For my family, where we stay IS important because we are typically back at our resort by about 4pm and stay put. We love to rest, swim, relax, have dinner somewhere without rushing and get a good nights' sleep. We've stayed at WL and POFQ and loved both of them. You've received some great advice and some things to think about as far as where you stay - regardless - have a WONDERFUL time!! :mickey:

Janmac
09-18-2011, 10:37 AM
POR has the queen beds. That'd be the deciding factor for me.

Is it $200 for the trip? What's the per day savings?

Jan

AllDisney
09-18-2011, 04:06 PM
I would stay at the place you are most comfortable:mickey:

johnO
09-18-2011, 11:51 PM
Well if youve got the extra cash, you shoukd stay at the POR

grumpypima
09-19-2011, 01:30 PM
More than likely, POR will be there when you decide to go again some time in the future...save the $$ and try the value this time. It's not THAT bad and you can go back to POR later, right?

Mousemates
09-19-2011, 10:55 PM
We like the bigger beds and would go with POR.

Mousemates
09-19-2011, 11:01 PM
We like the bigger beds and would go with POR.

mrmcgiv
09-19-2011, 11:37 PM
We went to pop for 9 nights last month for the first time and really enjoyed it, the only things I think we really missed was the pool slide, hot tub ( and in Aug it was too hot for hot tub anyhow) and queen beds. Will PORS have all queen beds by that time anyhow? Not sure. If you will not miss those amenities then I would go with Pop. The grounds were nice, it was nice theming, the food court was one of the best yet. Esp if you do not plan to spend much time at resort I say Pop. My husband and I agreed, compared to Sports and Music, Pop was a step above, like someplace between a value and moderate.

I would also consider cost per day vs total cost difference.