PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Choice - Moderate Range on property, which one?

MikeJake
09-15-2011, 11:18 AM
For others that have seen my previous posts, this is our first trip to Disney. We aren't going until fall of 2013, but just starting to lay the foundation now and beginning to save money.

We are interested in choosing a hotel in the moderate range. Any recommendations or pros/cons based on experience? Thanks again for the great advice.

Mike

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Although we've never stayed there, I love the looks of Port Orleans French Quarter. One of the perks is the smaller layout which wouldn't be as much walking for little legs at the end of the day. If you don't mind walking the Port Orleans Riverside is also beautiful. The POFQ underwent refurbs and they now have queen size beds, I believe they are currently refurbing POR as well. Riverside has a full service restaurant but POFQ only has the food court area. You can use the pool at either resort and transportation by boat to DTD and Hollywood Studios. Buses run for the other parks.

Happy planning...

MizMissy
09-15-2011, 11:54 AM
I would also recommend POFQ. I think you stated in a previous post that your children will be 5 and 7 at the time of the trip. The dragon slide is perfect for children of that age. Also, you can use the POR pool too because they are sister resorts.

This is always subject to change, but when we were there (at a less busy time) POFQ shared buses with POR (except on the return trip from MK - made that mistake once!) but POFQ was the first pick up so there was never a problem with finding a seat.

faline
09-15-2011, 12:17 PM
There are two in this category that I would suggest. Port Orleans French Quarter is one of them. It's small size puts you closer to the main pool etc. than a resort like Caribbean Beach which is quite spread out. There is also the boat to Downtown Disney.

The other is Coronado Springs. This resort is more spread out The bonus, here, though, is that the resort offers more of the amenities typically found at the Deluxe resorts but for a moderate price.

MizMissy
09-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Also, let me just add that I do not think there is a "bad" choice. There is variety so there is something for everyone .... and just the same, since people vary, opinions vary.
I would suggest you find pictures of the different resorts to see if you like the "vibe" of the resort.
Also, for now, you are looking at a moderate, but remember that AKL and WL are deluxe resorts at a lower price than other deluxe resorts. They are beautiful resorts. Also, the Contemporary has rooms in the Garden Wing that are cheaper than other monorail and EPCOT resort deluxe rooms. The walk to the MK is why we chose Contemporary (and the modern styling). If there are discounts available (Disney keeps threatening not to offer them), you may open your spending range a bit. Always good to keep your options open (and to dream a little).

SBETigg
09-15-2011, 12:27 PM
I recommend the Swan or Dolphin, which offer a more deluxe experience for moderate prices considering they are usually offering great discounts. You have the benefits of staying in a great location with some perks offered by Disney resorts (like EMH and Disney transportation). Big rooms, comfy beds, and great resort shops, lounges, and restaurants. We had a wonderful stay there.

btharvey
09-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Unless you're bring a trailer or camping in a tent (in which there is one wonderful choice: Fort Wilderness), either Port Orleans French Quarter or Coronado Springs would be a wonderful choice.

POFQ is small, cozy (one bus stop), everything in walking distance, nice pool, not too crowded, friendly. Food court will have something for pretty much everyone, but if you want, you can walk 10 minutes to Riverside and use their larger food court.

CS is big, with both quiet (normal) and themed (big and fancy) pools, has larger food court and several bus stops.

Rooms are now equivalent now that POFQ has upgraded to Queen beds. We've stayed at both and like both -- whichever has the better deal at the time is probably where I'd go.

wdwaggie
09-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Coincidentally, we stayed at Coronado Springs in 2006 when our children were 5 and 7!! We chose this one due to the look and we upgraded from value at the last minute. It feels like it is equally close to all the parks. Our room was in between the main pool and the Pepper Market food court. The bus stop was very near to our room and the children/wife rarely complained about the walking. Occassionally we would get lucky and catch the golf cart shuttle on the walkpath which was a nice break.

mdricks
09-15-2011, 01:57 PM
I ditto the "all choices are good" with one caveat.

If it is adults only (particularly one romantic couple) pofq is the best choice. Still a great choice with kids but my particular fav for a romantic atmosphere.

At night it is beautiful and the bar is very relaxed and laid back.

BigRedDad
09-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Not sure how many in your party. With that much of a lead time, you can keep an eye out for DVC point rentals. You can get a Deluxe for the price of a moderate.

As far as moderates go, I have only been at PORS (when it was Dixie Landings) and CSR. I love CSR. It may be a little spread out, but the pool theming is one of the best.

jnfr2424
09-17-2011, 12:27 PM
CBR: Request rooms in Trinidad that way you can be close to the main pool and food court

CSR: It's big but we had a great room off to a side with our own quiet pool steps from the front door

POFQ: My fave because I stayed here when it first opened and its just smaller and looks like a quaint New Orleans town.

I too agree to check our the pricing for WL and AKL it may be surprising to you to find out what the difference in price is.

mickeyman42
09-17-2011, 03:29 PM
my vote would be for POFQ also! we have never stayed here but are going to on our next trip in 2012. here is our logic:

CBR- stayed here in feb and didn't like it, too big, theme was ok, not great, pool was underwhelming to our kids, food court setup was annoying, bus stop setup is terrible, rather have the all-stars type queue.

CSR- never stayed here but again, really big, same bus stop issue, food court setup is again, strange. nice sliding door to separate washroom area though (wish they all had that!)

POR- ok theme, still a large property. couldn't see a reason not to stay here except that there is POFQ

POFQ- nice theme, good pool area, decent food court, beignets, boat to DTD, queen beds, little walking to amenities, small property, whats not to like.

overall I really don't get caught up in the resort theme. to me they are all ok, but nothing special, maybe I'm just hard to please, but I don't think I would pick or be swayed from any resort because of the theme, I hardly notice it once I'm there.
Now when we went in Aug we went to AKL to look around and WOW! the lobby was very impressive, not that you spend much time in the hotel lobby but, it was amazing, and the African masks on the room doors, yeah I wanted to take one home! not sure what the pool theme is suppose to be though, we just saw a typical pool, nothing special.

Awesome_guy
09-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Sherri mentions this above, but I would also encourage that you consider Swan or Dolphin, too. We were looking at moderates for our most recent trip and ended up going with Dolphin because of a great deal, after looking at all it had to offer. It's location is incredible for Epcot and Disney Studios; it's also in a great resort area with access to Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach.

Swan/Dolphin mean forgoing Magical Express and Dining Plan; if those aren't important, everything else is available to you..... like the all important Extra Magic Hours.

You'll have an awesome trip; let us know what you decide!

=),

KAT1811
09-17-2011, 09:43 PM
The other is Coronado Springs. This resort is more spread out The bonus, here, though, is that the resort offers more of the amenities typically found at the Deluxe resorts but for a moderate price.

:ditto: :ditto: :ditto:

Coronado Spring is our favorite moderate resort hands down. :number1:

Kairi_7378
09-18-2011, 01:00 PM
There are two in this category that I would suggest. Port Orleans French Quarter is one of them. It's small size puts you closer to the main pool etc. than a resort like Caribbean Beach which is quite spread out. There is also the boat to Downtown Disney.

I agree with Faline. We have stayed at FQ, RS, and CSR. Of the 3, my favorite two were FQ and CSR. Loved them both for different reasons.

FQ is small and their "square" architecture gives the resort an intimate feel. We particularly enjoyed our room in building 7- furthest away from the main building but still very close. Building 7 is also closest to RS. FQ and RS are "sister" resorts so you are welcome to use the recreational facilities of both when you stay at one. We liked the boat ride to and from DTD. I highly recommend taking this trip at least once at night. The resorts and DTD are beautiful at night.

CSR is beautiful. The staff was very polite- some of the best service we received at Disney, ever, was from the staff at CSR. We were assigned to the Ranchos section and I was initially disappointed and considered requesting a switch because of the distance. However, we took our original assignment and thought that the landscaping was most beautiful here. There are 4 bus stops here and the buildings that are furthest from the main building were served first which was great when we had a stroller to deal with.

I did not care for the decor at RS, but the grounds are beautiful.

WDWCrazyKaren
09-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Here is one more vote for POFQ. We just love the small size, nothing is far away. The boat to downtown is a wonderful trip, even on a hot day. The food court is smaller, so if you are thinking about a lot of meals at the food court, your options may be limited. We don't use the food court all the much, so for us it wasn't a big deal (except for the beignets...had to have those!).

And the pool bar there is really nice!:secret: