PDA

View Full Version : Monte Cristo sandwich

disneydrmr
09-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Ok....to try it or not to try it..that is the question I'm asking... We will be eating at the Cafe Orleans on our upcoming trip. My friend and I are talking about splitting this sandwich, and also an order of the pommes frites things. Is this sandwich as good as people say?

BrerGnat
09-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Personally, I think it's pretty gross. It tastes like a donut filled with meat. :ack:

I guess it's a regional thing, and it's one of those "love it or hate it" food items. I find it to be over the top and it combines too many different food flavors and textures for my liking.

The Pommes Frites are pretty darn amazing though. I highly recommend those, but beware it's not a huge serving. Just about the standard "side of fries" serving. If you get the monte cristo, you'll probably be good on greasy food with just that. I'd probably not recommend eating that AND the fries.

mouseketeer mom
09-15-2011, 11:16 AM
We get two orders of the Pomme Frites for the table (there are five of us), and we split a couple of Monte Cristos. It looks like a heavy sandwich, but its actually not too bad. But..having said that, I still don't feel like I'd want to eat a whole one. Like Natalie said, a donut with meat!! Good, but also weird...
But the fries..:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:
And..the gumbo and the french onion soup at Cafe Orleans are both really good too. Enjoy! It's a great spot for people watching!

NewDVCowner
09-15-2011, 11:45 AM
I went to Cafe Orleans last month with my sisters and mom. One of my sisters got the Monte Cristo. She said it was good and enjoyed it. I had one at the Blue Bayou several years ago and this one looked much better. I don't know if I'd get it, though, just too many different flavors in it I think.

That being said, while I don't remember what everyone ordered, all of us cleaned our plates and were very happy with our meal there.

robnadina
09-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Monte Cristo is my fav sandwich! Hello, its a French Toast Grilled Cheese! The one at Disney is so-so. The one I had was very heavy and greasy. I used alot of the Jam that is served with it to help balance out the taste. For the price there are much better food choices at Disneyland (Fried chicken at the Plaza Inn is awesome). Needless to say, I have never ordered a Monte Cristo after that first time.

badkitty
09-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Cafe Orleans offers a meatless version and I think it is amazing. I don't find the Monte Cristo at DL to greasy and it is better than others I have had. (Although to be fair, all the sandwiches I have had have been in CA!)

I think it is too big to eat a whole one (especially adding the frites) so your idea to split one is a good idea.

My favorite is the gumbo soup. Yum.

Love Cafe Orleans for the atmosphere. :thumbsup:

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
09-18-2011, 01:47 AM
Gotta say that I have ALWAYS enjoyed Monte Cristos at Disneyland. That is until the last time. Don't know if it wasn't cooked thoroughly or what but got so sick after eating it. Won't be having another one any time soon.

:smickey: