PDA

View Full Version : Few Camping Questions

yjgirl32
09-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Planning a camping trip in 2012 around Thanksgiving and have some questions:

1. Will I be able to drive to the marina with my car or do I have to take the internal bus?

2. Has anyone camped during this time and if so what was the weather like?

3. Are there preferred locations like at the hotels and if so are they worth the extra money?

Thanks for your help.

Goofeygal
09-14-2011, 04:17 PM
You can not drive and park at the Marina in Fort Wilderness. I have not been there at that time but seems like the weather should be nice. The premium sites are closer to the Marina, to us we did not think about spending the extra money for that. There is Preferred sites that are closer to Medows trading post and the main pool. They also have sites that acomadate tents and smaller campers that do not have sewer at the sites. So it really depends on your camping vehicle.
Hope this helps a little.

yjgirl32
09-14-2011, 04:34 PM
We only have a pop-up camper so no sewers are needed. Is the walk to the marina far from the preferred sites? I would rather not rent a golf cart- but have my mom who will be 69 when we go. The info you have shared with is very helpful- thank you.

AuntLaura
09-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Haven't camped but have been at FW many times. There are preferred campsites quite close to the marina. I think the 100/200 loops are the closest. You can find a map of FW on Intercot at info central/resorts. From the checkin to marina, it's about 1 mile. We've been to FW a few times T-giving and early December. Weather was nice - sweatshirts at night. We were here last year first week of December and it went down in the 30's and I was wearing my winter coat. I would bring a mix of clothes so you are prepared for anything.

Janmac
09-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Have you seen the campground map that is at info central here at Intercot? We have stayed at loop 800 and at loop 1100. There is an internal bus stop close to loop 800. You could request a loop close to a bus stop.

Loops 400 and 700 would also be close to the marina area. Almost as close as the bus stop, anyway.

With my two youngest grandkids (then in their mid-teens) I have walked from loop 1100 to Trail's End Kitchen while DH and our daughter and s-i-l waited for the internal bus. We pretty much all arrived at the same time. Our grandkids got there first but that's because they saw the bus coming and ran from about the intersection of Big Pine Drive and Fort Wilderness Trail. (I didn't run.)

We have also used our bikes to get around FW, except that I ride a trike. (It turns out you can forget how to ride a bike.)

Or maybe simply lose a sense of balance.

My sister did rent a golf cart one trip but that was more because of her 2 yr old granddaughter and thinking it might be easier to get around.

If memory serves, the 2000 loop is the partial hook-up loop. However, all through the other "full hook-up" loops you'll find tents, pop-ups, trailers, RVs, etc. The main sorting item being whether you want a pet loop or not. With a pop-up, any pets brought would have to be kenneled if everyone is going to be away from the camp site.

Jan

yjgirl32
09-15-2011, 11:03 AM
I have looked at the maps- but I am not good with maps. Plus I am able to walk very long distances and am not a good judge if something is far away- so I have been told. Thanks for the info I will let my mom know what you guys have suggested and go from there. Appreciate and and all help.

joonyer
09-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Internal buses run regularly at FW, so you do not have to rent a golf cart to get around in FW, no matter where your campsite is. Buses run at all loops and go to the marina area as well as the trading post and main entrance area where you can catch park buses. We never had to wait more than 5 minutes for in internal FW bus.

Janmac
09-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Just remembered something, maybe. I think I recall seeing somewhere that it's a mile from the Outpost to the Pioneer Hall area. Seems as tho it's further than that but it didn't take us very long to walk from loop 1100 up to the Pioneer Hall area.

Even though you have a pop-up you are not limited by Disney as to the loop you stay in. I would request a loop near a bus stop, because of your mom. The best thing about a pop-up is that it will not be too big to go into any site, which opens up more options for you, as to loops near bus stops.

The CMs try to accommodate folks but the way I understand it is that they have to take into consideration equipment size - how long, slide outs, awnings, etc. - when assigning sites from those available in loops that have been requested.

Jan

yjgirl32
09-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Great thanks for the Information. We are so excited to go camping at Disney!!!!

LVT
09-16-2011, 08:37 PM
I hope you have a lovely trip. Maybe you will write up your experiences. I like to read about the places I have not stayed (yet).