PDA

View Full Version : First Day of School Traditions

Mousefever
09-14-2011, 08:12 AM
I know it's a little past the first day of school for all of the kids, and I was wondering if you have any traditions in your family for the first day of school. I am remembering that my parents used to wake up my sister and me with a special song every year, the first line of which is:

"School Days, school days, dear old golden rule days!"

It's a very old fashioned song which includes references to calico, slates, and bashful, barefoot beaus. I sang the song to my son on the first day of school when he was younger too.

Do you have any special foods, or songs, or traditions related to the first day of school?

Amy

buzznwoodysmom
09-14-2011, 10:51 AM
The only first day of school tradition we have is to take a picture of the boys dressed in their uniforms, backpacks on, in the front of our house standing at the front door. Its amazing to see how they've changed since their very fist year of school.

I try to have special little traditions for my kids. Just little things that hopefully they'll remember when they are grown. For instance, every Monday I pick up Icees on my way to pick them up at school. Its our Monday treat day! When we get home we sit on the front porch with our Icees and talk about their day.

Georgesgirl1
09-14-2011, 08:49 PM
We also took our pictures by the front door. We started that tradition this year for our boys (2.5 and 7 months) with older son standing and our baby boy sitting next to him.

disneyfan328
09-21-2011, 05:38 PM
We do the picture thing as well, but we also always buy something little to send in with our kids for the teacher. The kids all get new clothes and backpacks and what not, but what about the teachers? So we started sending in a little something - a welcome back to school gift for the teachers. Its been anything as simple as a few flowers in pretty tissue paper with a note to a small gift bag with some stickers, note pads or a 5-10$ coffee gift card for a local place. Sometimes the kids even make them a gift. One year it was a pencil holder made out of a terra cotter planter. too cute. the kids painted them and glued little school type things on them etc. they turned out really cute! Just something to let the teachers know that we appreciate all of their hard work as well!