PDA

View Full Version : Settle a debate about HM

Disdad13
09-12-2011, 05:59 PM
In the stretching room, I always just assumed the walls were "stretching up", but then got to wondering if the room itself were actually dropping down. So which is it? Does the room stay stationary and the walls move up, or does the entire room drop down?

McLiberal8
09-12-2011, 06:06 PM
From what I have read, the room in Disneyland is an elevator that goes down, while the Disney World version is indeed a ceiling that rises.

BigRedDad
09-12-2011, 06:18 PM
:ditto:

Disneyland had to plan a way to get people under the railroad tracks. Therefore, they went down and through a tunnel. In WDW, it is not necessary. The ceiling goes up while the people stay still.

Cjsmom1811
09-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Yeah, WDW you can tell that the walls go up. You just have to look real close!

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-12-2011, 08:48 PM
The fact that we're not actually going anywhere really helps my clausterphobia ... at least I know I'm on solid ground :)

GBBT
09-12-2011, 09:23 PM
"Is it really stretching or is it your imagination.......remember there is room for 1 more....."

Buttercup
09-12-2011, 10:14 PM
You can tell it's the ceiling that goes up, because there is no crack or 'space' in the floor when the doors open (like when you're stepping into an elevator). It is one seamless piece of carpet leading right into the doom-buggy loading room. :mickey:

Spoiler: Stand under the ballerina to be closest to the door if you want to be the first to exit the stretching room!

Melanie
09-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Spoiler: Stand under the ballerina to be closest to the door if you want to be the first to exit the stretching room!

Is that true in each stretching room? We always try to guess which doors will open.

Buttercup
09-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Is that true in each stretching room? We always try to guess which doors will open.
Yep - both rooms it's the Ballerina. :)

Stu29573
09-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Of course if you are the first out, you dont get to hear the gargoles...

Buttercup
09-13-2011, 01:12 AM
That is true... those whispering gargoyles are pretty cool! :thumbsup:

Ian
09-13-2011, 08:10 AM
In the original in Disneyland, it's an actual elevator. This was necessary for the function of the attraction, since in the DL version the actual show building is outside the berm and guests have to travel under the railroad tracks to board the Doom Buggies.

In WDW the show building is directly attached to the facade, so there was no need to drop guests down to another level. In order to preserve the stretching room effect, they installed sort of a reverse elevator in which the ceiling rises to simulate the stretching walls. You don't actual move anywhere in the Disney World version.

Butters
09-13-2011, 08:11 AM
We would always stand near the exit to be the first out... but after a while realized it's less stressful and less pushing to just hang out until most people have shoved their way through... and it really only adds about 3 minutes to your wait...

Mousemates
09-13-2011, 10:11 AM

:thumbsup: that is quality information :mickey:

ryca1dreams
09-13-2011, 12:40 PM
We would always stand near the exit to be the first out... but after a while realized it's less stressful and less pushing to just hang out until most people have shoved their way through... and it really only adds about 3 minutes to your wait...

I'm the same way with most of the rides like that. Especially with ToT where you get to see a few of the Twilight Zone references if you hang back.

Zawadi
09-13-2011, 01:47 PM
As already said HM at WDW the ceiling goes up.

HM at Disneyland California and Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris are elevators and you go down.

Boost
09-18-2011, 08:35 PM
What do the gargoyles whisper and do they all whisper or just those near the doors under the ballerina?

Totodog
09-20-2011, 01:02 PM
And consider this dismaying observation: this chamber has no windows, and no doors...

5MemphisTiggers
09-20-2011, 07:35 PM
And consider this dismaying observation: this chamber has no windows, and no doors...

Of course, there's always MY way . . .:D

Victor Kelly
09-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Look for the little red light. It is a trip sensor that does not allow the doors to open if somebody breaks the beam. That is the doorway. But don't rush, enjoy the atmosphere and the paintings in the loading foyer.

johnO
09-22-2011, 06:43 AM
ceiling moves up.

Buttercup
09-23-2011, 07:46 PM
What do the gargoyles whisper and do they all whisper or just those near the doors under the ballerina?
The gargoyles don't actually move when they speak or anything - so don't be looking for movement. It's just basically the sound of whispers coming from up & above all around the stretching room where the gargoyles are hunched over. They giggle and whisper telling you to hurry up and get out of there. I can't think of a quote in particular unfortunately!

Oh and I might have confused people by saying "The Ballerina" -- that's just what I call her because she's wearing ballet shoes. She's the young woman with the parasol and she's tight-roping over a crocodile. That's the exit side. :mickey:

Ian
09-23-2011, 08:28 PM
When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelight flickers ... when the air is deathly still; that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight!

Imagineer1981
09-26-2011, 12:17 PM
You can also look closely at the wallpaper and see that different sections are raised off the wall, maybe 1/2 an inch tops. That is part of the track the roof raises up on .