PDA

View Full Version : How Young is too young?

minniemoomoo
09-12-2011, 04:21 PM
We had a family trip planned for this October. Included in this trip was our newborn son, after much consideration we've decided against it. So in this thinking I've wondered how young is too young for your first trip to WDW? Around so many folks from so many places, when was youngster's first trip to WDW? It's not that they will remember of course, but those with them do remember. So the question is really what's the earliest you've taken your child to WDW?:mickey:

BrerGnat
09-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Not WDW, but we took our oldest son to Disneyland once he was 8 weeks old. Younger son, 6 weeks.

I'd say under 2 months is too young. Disney parks are very stimulating and newborns need their sleep. Once the baby is even somewhat aware of the world, though, and spending some good time awake each day, it's a good time to start, as far as I'm concerned. :thumbsup:

darthmacho
09-12-2011, 05:18 PM
First off, I don't think any age is completely out of the question, but here's my general feeling on age at WDW. Take it for what it's worth, which is probably not much.

In-utero: Okay, but follow those preggo advisories!
Newborn to 1yo: Probably too young, too much stimulation.
Terrible Twos: Possible, but at a slooooow pace, lots of breaks, and a lot of stroller/diaper bag hassle. :babyroll:
Three: Similar to above, but potty trained?
Four or Five: Close, but a lot depends on your child's maturity. Limited ride options, and you're probably still wheeling that stroller.
Six to Ten: The perfect age in my opinion, though the younger ones will need a slower pace and may be too short for some rides.
Ten and up: Disney says your kid is an adult, so now you're all set!

rjmdds
09-12-2011, 05:24 PM
I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as too young. My kids were about 2 1/2 when we took them the first time and we found that age to be perfect.So many people thought that we were crazy and I could never understand why. Most of those people don't get the "Disney-thing" anyway so I didn't pay any attention to it. Most of it depends on you. If you are willing to bring a newborn and everything that comes with a newborn then that is your right. If you feel that bringing a newborn will detract from you having an enjoyable time then maybe you should think twice. But if you feel that having your newborn child with you will only enhance your trip, then I say go for it.

sassafras
09-12-2011, 05:27 PM
The first time we took our sons they were 17 and 21--the perfect age! :silly::funny::laughing: We could pretty much turn them loose and meet them for dinner.:joy::yay::party2:
Actually, I would say about 4-6 years old would be good. The child can really enjoy things and you don't have to lug as much stuff. Plus, they are still young enough you can tear up when they meet the different characters or have a "magical" experience. It's really just a matter of what you prefer.

buzznwoodysmom
09-12-2011, 05:35 PM
If its a once in a lifetime trip, or you don't think you'll go back that often I'd wait till they are old enough to remember and really enjoy it all.

If you are like me and go about once a year then I'd take them as soon as your comfortable doing so.

We took our kids for the first time when our oldest was 2 1/2 years old, and our youngest was 9 months old. We had a fantastic time and there are times now that they are older that I wish they were babies again. Its great now that we can all ride the rides together, but there was something very special about those first trips with them when they were that young. After taking my baby at 9 months old I can say I'd probably feel comfortable bring a baby starting around 6 months old.

gardenia
09-12-2011, 05:36 PM
We waited until our 2 older children were 3 and 4, but we couldn't wait with the youngest, so he went at 18 months. Ideally, though, they should be walking and talking. I personally don't like dragging (pushing, carrying, rolling) an infant around the parks, I don't think it's fun for anyone. Just my opinion.

disneydeb
09-12-2011, 07:10 PM
Like my 3 year old grandson said, " I want to go to Disney World".... "NOW!"

We took him and his youger sister (age 1 1/2) to celebrate his 4th birthday!:party:

magicofdisney
09-12-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm in the camp of those that feel you're never too young. However, I think there may be exceptions. If you have one child, you may want to wait a few months until that child is more interactive. At that point, any thing goes.

My oldest was 4 before I took him. At that point his sisters were 2 and I couldn't deny them the joy of Disney! When my last was born we waited 9mos, simply because we were buying season passes on our annual trip and I had to get those before we could go again. Otherwise, he would have been there much earlier. :mickey:

Dulcee
09-12-2011, 08:10 PM
My parents took me at 4 months!

For our family the only limiting factor has been getting the all clear from the pediatrician that baby can be out and about in the world.

tdk316
09-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Took my youngest at 5mo when my oldest was 2.5yo. Worked out great and he actually had a lot of fun looking around at everything. Never too young or old IMHO. :mickey:

akaDisneyDreamer
09-12-2011, 08:39 PM
The first time we took our sons they were 17 and 21--the perfect age! :silly::funny::laughing: We could pretty much turn them loose and meet them for dinner.:joy::yay::party2:

The first time I took my daughters they were 18 and 21 and the three of us had the best time ever, so I have to agree that was the perfect age! :trio:

Personally I can't imagine bringing a baby (but that is me, not you! :mickey:) I would think maybe 6-8 years old is the youngest I would start if I had it to do over again! At that age they are big enough to walk the parks and remember the magic!

Georgesgirl1
09-12-2011, 09:24 PM
I wouldn't take a baby before they were probably 2 months old because of the lack of sleep, long nursing sessions (if breastfeeding), and the fact that I can't imagine trudging around the parks very soon after giving birth!
We took ODS at 6 months old and had a blast! We went again when he was 20 months which was still fun, but harder. The fact that i was 5 months pregnant probably didn't help any :-) We will be going again in January. ODS will turn 3 during our trip and YDS will be 11 months. I think Disney is great for all ages!!

Buttercup
09-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Never too young. Took my kids at 4 months and 6 months. They're very portable at that age and they're very interested in everything going on around them!
Plus, nothing is cuter than seeing a 6 month old clap and laugh on the rides with their eyes as big as saucers! :mickey:
Disney makes it easy with the baby stations as well. My favorite is the Magic Kingdom one. It's just like a little house with a kitchen, change room, dining room, nursing room with rocking chairs... it's even themed to match Main Street USA's old-world decor! :)

Tink#64
09-12-2011, 11:28 PM
The first trip for all for of us, DS's were 4 & 6 & it was absolutely magical! They were potty trained, no naps or strollers & very much caught up in the magic of it all! We were able to ride everything that we wanted & enjoyed every little thing! DS's loved the characters, although we spent gobs of time waiting in those meet & greet lines! DS's are now 14 & 15 & still have those autograph books! Each trip is different and very special for our family, but those trips when they were young & the fantastic pics that we have of them on the rides & with the characters, etc. - Priceless! :cloud9: I miss those Dumbo days! :dumbo:

GottaLvDisney
09-12-2011, 11:51 PM
We cancelled our trip last year when I unexpectedly found out I was pregnant with DD - she would've been 5wk at time of travel and for me, that was too young.

We took our DS when he was 10mo old and he had a wonderful time. It was perfect bc he wasn't walking yet so he was content to ride in the stroller and he loved all the rides, etc... This year he'll be almost 3yo and I can't wait bc he's very into everything Disney. Our youngest DD will be 13mo and I'm sure will have a wonderful time even if she won't remember it.

That's just a good excuse to have to go again and again and again.

diz_girl
09-13-2011, 02:24 PM
For our family the only limiting factor has been getting the all clear from the pediatrician that baby can be out and about in the world.

That's my rule. Younger than 2-3 months of age, their immune system is still pretty immature. So wait until at least 3 months old. At that age, they're probably able to sleep through the night (at least mine were).

We took our oldest DS in utero and at 17 months. By that time (17 mo) he was eating table food, although we still had to deal with diapers. My favorite baby station is AK. He loved breakfast with Pooh and the riverboat and the safari. He's now 4 and he'll have an even better time, especially since he's tall enough for Splash, BTMRR and Soarin'.

Our youngest DS will be 10 months when we travel in November. We couldn't take him in utero due to high-risk pregnancy travel restrictions. He's the happiest baby that I've ever met and really easy to care for, so I'd expect him to have a blast on this trip. He'll laugh and squeal on an ordinary bike ride, so I can just imagine how he'll be at WDW.

Joannelet
09-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Both sons so far have gone in utero :mickey: Actually we found out we were pregnant with both of my boys in Disneyland and the other in Disney World! I consider my boys Disney miracles! My 1st son went on his first trip to the world at 7 months. It was great! He loved every minute of it. His smile lit up wherever we went! He is about to go on his fourth trip next month and he is only 2! My current son is still in utero and this will be his 2nd trip in utero. We are planning on taking him when he is out and about around 7 months old. The same as our first son did. It's whatever floats your boat. My son has had a wonderful time. This past trip in May was the first time he started to remember EVERYTHING. He still talks about this past trip and I cannot wait for him to go again next month with my entire family for a reunion. What a magical time that will be! The younger times we have pics of and he loves looking at them! He is grinning from ear to ear in all of the baby pictures and he still does the same thing now! It is whatever you want and when you want to bring them that makes it the right time, the right choice and the right age. :)

2Epcot
09-14-2011, 06:21 AM
First off, I don't think any age is completely out of the question, but here's my general feeling on age at WDW. Take it for what it's worth, which is probably not much.

In-utero: Okay, but follow those preggo advisories!
Newborn to 1yo: Probably too young, too much stimulation.
Terrible Twos: Possible, but at a slooooow pace, lots of breaks, and a lot of stroller/diaper bag hassle. :babyroll:
Three: Similar to above, but potty trained?
Four or Five: Close, but a lot depends on your child's maturity. Limited ride options, and you're probably still wheeling that stroller.
Six to Ten: The perfect age in my opinion, though the younger ones will need a slower pace and may be too short for some rides.
Ten and up: Disney says your kid is an adult, so now you're all set!

Almost my feelings exactly. I've decided to wait a while to take our son on a WDW trip. He is 27 months now. I took him to Disneyland for the first time last month.

ginger19
09-14-2011, 07:46 AM
My kids were 3 and 18months when we first went and I would definitely do that again. It's harder with little ones but so magical to see their faces at every new wonder they see :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Well, I think this is very debatable but I would never take a child under 3 to Disney World. My son was 4 when he went the first time. But of course, I am thinking about the pace that we usually keep and have heard many successful trip reports right here on Intercot. I think the key to going with young children is plenty of breaks with a return to the hotel for naps in the middle of the day. Still, I wouldn't ever consider taking a newborn.

wdwfansince75
09-14-2011, 08:42 AM
We took DD#2 (DK#3) to DL at 1. She didn't get to do or see much, but DW and I and DS#1 (6) and DD#1(3) had a blast...and became Disney nuts. We took DS#2 at 4 to WDW...a wonderful age! Then, over the years, we took trips with DGK's as young as 4 months. (DGK's took first trip to WDW at: 5, 6, 3, 4, 4mo, 4mo, and 6mo) Four months did require adaptations...going at that age allowed their older siblings and cousins to enjoy WDW, and parents, aunts and uncles, and grandparents all still have wonderful memories..and tons of photos. Mom and Dad were able to do almost everything....and I was able to do a lot of Baby-Swaps!
Disney is really the most kid friendly place on earth...However, a newborn does require lots of attention....and I agree with the issue of immune systems concerns...nothing puts the damper on a Disney trip like a sick child. Nothing wrong with waiting a few extra months. But from our own experiences, once they can travel and mingle, they can experience and share the Magic.

kakn7294
09-14-2011, 08:48 AM
We've taken our older daughter at 13 months, 3 yrs, 8 yrs, then yearly since age 10. Our younger daughter has been at age 3 then yearly since age 5. We also traveled when our niece was 6 months old and again when our nephew was 5 months old. All of our kids have handled the trips well. Each trip was a unique experience and while they don't remember the experience from their younger years, we cherish the memories (and they like the pictures).

Personally, I would be leary of taking a child under 2 - 3 months, especially in the winter months when more people are sick. However, plenty of people do it and it turns out just fine.

disney obsessed
09-14-2011, 09:10 AM
My opinion is that there is no "too young" for Disney World. It all depends on your temperment, your childs temperment and what your expectations of the vacation are. I was very lucky. My kids were good travelers and we did two days at MK. We knew we would be back and did not push it. It is the reason I go back so often. It is the reason for my obsession. Each time I go back I am searching for that feeling of watching the looks on their faces at the parades and how excited they were at the experience. Each time I go back I feel it for a differant experience but the basics of it are still there. The magic.

KAT1811
09-17-2011, 10:04 PM
If its a once in a lifetime trip, or you don't think you'll go back that often I'd wait till they are old enough to remember and really enjoy it all.

If you are like me and go about once a year then I'd take them as soon as your comfortable doing so.

:ditto:

The youngest we have ever taken one of our 4 children is technically 3 months. It was a one day stop in Disney on our way down to Fort Myers Beach to see family (We took a direct flight into Orlando and ended up there a day earlier trying to outrun a snowstorm. What better place to stop for an unexpected night?)

The youngest all Disney trip . . . 8 months. We spent 18 days in Disney with our 4 children ( :princess: :princess: :princess: :prince: )the youngest of which was 8 months. It was fabulous! Every morning DS (then 8 months) and I were up before everyone so we would take a walk around the resort while I drank my coffee then head back to the room to shower and then get the rest of the tribe ready and then we were off for the day!

We are heading back next month for another 18 days the children are now DD 14 1/2, DD 6, DD 4, and DS 2 1/2 (DD 14 is coming late and leaving early because of school)

LVT
09-18-2011, 10:33 AM
1 more for the 4 months at least. Their immune system is system is in better shape to handle the enormous load from so many kids.

jonahbear2006
09-25-2011, 08:45 AM
We took our son at 4 weeks and I have to say its the best age to take a baby. We didn't even know he was there and he was light. I wasn't used to NOT carrying him yet so I put him in a bjorn and he was good right there

Gator
09-26-2011, 12:29 PM
I took my first daughter when she was 7 months. It really wasn't that fun of a trip. My wife was always having to stop to nurse, so all the shows were out.

I then took her when she about 18 months, and the same with my son. That seemed to be a perfect time. They had a schedule more like an adult's for eating. They seemed to come alive when they saw all the things of WDW. As much as I want to go back in Jan/Feb, my daughter will only be about 7-8 months, so I'm forcing my self to wait another year so that we all can enjoy the trip a lot more.

Mousemates
09-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Our daughter was about twenty months old the first time she went and had a great time. Our son made the trip internally....my wife was five months pregnant with him at the time.

Disney Doll
09-27-2011, 10:15 AM
We take regular Disney vacations so we started incorporating the kids into our annual trips right away. I've been with both kids in-utero, with a 9 month old, 12 month old, 15 month old, 18 month old, 23 month old, almost 3 yr old, and now I am preparing for our trip in a couple of weeks when the kids will be almost 4 and 18 months old.

I've had great experiences with every trip so far. I wouldn't bring a newborn because of the weak immune system, but I wouldn't delay my trip by more than 6 months or so.