PDA

View Full Version : last minute surprise trip - POP newbie questions...

wdw_bound
09-10-2011, 05:31 PM
So excited, but have LOTS of questions. We are leaving in just over two weeks for a trip that only just came about this week. Got a great room-only pin, and have some days left on unexpired ticket.

I've stayed (and enjoyed) ASMo, but there was no availability, so we are giving POP a try - I've never even driven by it, so have no idea what to expect.

Any room suggestsions? I don't need a preferred, but I don't want to be at the back of beyond, either. I'm thinking a pool view would be nice.

How long does it take to drive from POP to the different parks? How is the food court? Healthy options at all?

I'm excited about the trip, but I've never done WDW so spur of the moment before - and don't want POP to be a dud for DH (he hasn't done a value before, but claims he will be fine as long as he has somewhere to put his head at night). I think the kids will like the theming, especially DS6.

Thanks for any help and advice!

Daisy'sMom
09-10-2011, 07:07 PM
POP is our favorite. The food court is great, and we have never had a room that seemed out of the loop. We like the fifties building but they all are nice. You don't share a bus either. We leave Thursday for a family reunion, all staying at POP. Have fun!:mickey:

brad192
09-10-2011, 09:20 PM
If you've stayed at ASMo, you pretty much know what to expect at Pop Century, although it is a MUCH larger resort!

I also recommend the '50's section, as it's away from the main pool, which can be noisy at times, and is only about a 3 minute walk to the main hall.

The food court is on par with ASMo, or maybe a cut above. It's definately bigger, with more choices. Be aware that it gets absolutely crazy for the morning breakfast rush. Eat early or late.

Rooms are pretty much copies of the All Stars. Clean, comfortable, with the basics.

I always tell people staying there to take some time & stroll around the resort. It has some wonderful nostagiac things to see. I'm certain you'll enjoy your stay there!

JerseyDad
09-10-2011, 09:25 PM
....I just got back from a 9 day stay at POP this past Tuesday. It's a fantastic resort...lots of nice theming...great food court with lots of variety (Medeterranian Chicken Flatbread is very yummy....had it 3 times!). We were in the 60's Building #5...very close to all the "action"...pool in particular...and more important...the bar! All the rooms were renovated over the past year...so they're quite nice.

Lotsa' healty food options...my 15 yr old daughter is eating vegetarian now...and had no problem. They have some pre-made sushi in the fridge case if that is something you like...plus some salad options...and they have a vegetable lasagna that's offered at least twice a week.

Having said that...I'm not sure that I'd ask for a poolside / 1st floor room again...as I always have. POP has poolside "activities" now...which they never had during any of my previous 7 stays there. There is a LOUD DJ / music thing going on from about noon to 5pm....which really started to get on my nerves.

Once previous...we were in the 50's Building #1...and it was close to all the needed facilites...and far enough away to be (I'd guess at this now)..."quiet".

Bus travel time to parks varies...Magic Kingdom the longest (about 14 min)....Hollywood Studios the shortest trip (about 8 minutes).

Tink#64
09-11-2011, 01:54 AM
Pop is our WDW home! We started staying there 6 months after it opened & currently have no desire to stay elsewhere, I just can't justify the expense for a place to lay our heads & a couple of hours at the pool each day! We really enjoy the theming at Pop, it has everything we need and we always enjoy our stay there!

We've grown partial to the 70's section bldg #10 or the 90"s section bldg #9, these are the absolute closest to the bus stops! Very short walk to the front of Classic Hall, at the end where the bus stops are located! But still a very short walk to everything else! These buildings are also close to the computer pool, which is one of the quiter pools, but still only a short walk to the main Hippy Dippy Pool. You can look a property map for Pop & see the layout & the buildings to get an idea of where you might like to stay & put in a room request.

I think that Hour Glass Lake is such a nice bonus, we really enjoy strolling along the lake, watching the birds & ducks! Lot of benches all along the lake to stop & catch your breath & just relax for a quiet moment!

During our stay,we typically eat lunch or dinner every at the food court, so many really tasty offerings! Some of our fav's are the chicken ceasar salad, the veggie lasagna, pizza & the oriental offerings. They also have lots of fresh fruits & salads & veggies in the refrigerated cases. We really enjoy getting our dinner & eating at the tables outside of Classic Hall or around the pool if we're combining with our pool break!

If you have any specific q's, feel free to pm me. Everyone has their favorite resort, where they are comfortable and Pop is that for us! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Wishing you a very magical trip! :pixie:

Mfarquar
09-11-2011, 08:23 AM
September is a wonderful time to visit Pop. It's not at full capacity, so we have never found the food court or pools to be mobbed.

The layout of the resort is great. Although it is larger than many resorts, you are never too far away from the important areas.

We usually stay in the 50s area and find it is close to the food court, bus pickup and quiet pool (looks like a bowling pin - love the "wooden" planks around the pool - great detail). A friend of ours has stayed in the 90s and said there's a great shortcut to the buses.

I have stayed at All Star Music, All Star Movies and Pop. I have found Pop to have the largest variety of items in the food court and gift shop. Our favorite reason for staying here is that it is the only value that does not share buses with any other hotel.

You've made a good choice!

Enjoy!

DisneyKim22
09-11-2011, 02:49 PM
It's good to hear such favorable reviews of POP. I haven't stayed there yet, but if my work sends me there in November, that is likely where I'll stay.

I know it's not a moderate or deluxe, but as much as I love those, my memories are going to be of the parks and such so the extra $$ for the room doesn't make sense for me. Besides, I still enjoy the deluxe resorts now and then by taking strolls through the property or enjoying a relaxing meal in one of their restaurants.