PDA

View Full Version : Aulani is Disney's first development not attached to a theme park?

brownie
09-09-2011, 07:09 PM
I ran across this in an article today:

When Disney first announced its plans to build Aulani, the 840-unit hotel/timeshare resort in West Oahu made headlines as the company's first development not attached to a theme park.

What about Hilton Head Island and Vero Beach? They're not attached to a theme park.

faline
09-09-2011, 07:14 PM
I remember this coming up in discussion recently. It does seem strange those other locations are ignored.

Ed
09-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Just goes to prove that the new generation of reporters generally don't bother doing basic research before committing their articles to print.

Ian
09-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Just goes to prove that the new generation of reporters generally don't bother doing basic research before committing their articles to print.Ed's got it exactly right. Journalistic standards have sunk to near-pathetic levels these days. Simple, basic fact-checking is a thing of the past.

I this very recently at work. One of our clients markets an immunotherapy for late-stage melanoma that's been available for 20 years or more. Earlier this year, a competive therapy came to market and virtually every press release or news story on it heralded it as "The only FDA approved therapy for stage four melanoma." :shake:

brownie
09-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Ed's got it exactly right. Journalistic standards have sunk to near-pathetic levels these days. Simple, basic fact-checking is a thing of the past.

You would think it would be easier these days with the power of the Internet. :confused:

Ed
09-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Yep. There was an article recently in the Orlando 'Slantinel' that referenced a certain airplane, which they referred to as "a Cirrus SR22, a twin engine private jet." A two-second Google search shows that the Cirrus SR22 is a single engine propeller driven plane.

Aurora
09-11-2011, 10:17 PM
I think that when reports were first published about Aulani, they referred to the resort as being Disney's first major resort not attached to a theme park, which was not incorrect. (Hilton Head has only 102 units; Vero Beach, less than 200.)

What seems to have happened is that the "major" has been dropped from the reporting, which now makes the stories incorrect.

Doesn't make sense to me either.