PDA

View Full Version : Coral Reef question

5MemphisTiggers
09-08-2011, 10:33 PM
I've seen mixed reviews on dinner at Coral Reef -- on both the food and the service. But I trust you guys!

Can you share your experiences at Coral Reef? Quality of food is primary; service is secondary for me. In your response, please let me know when you last dined there, if possible.

Thanks!

McLiberal8
09-08-2011, 11:11 PM
I went in 2007. It was okay - the food wasn't bad per se, but it didn't blow me away.

I didn't get a table right by the aquarium window, so if I had a better table I might have enjoyed it more.

I haven't been back, but maybe I will give it a second chance soon. From the reviews I have seen, it looks like a kind of gamble for the service/food aspect. Good luck!

Maleficent_vf
09-08-2011, 11:26 PM
We'd seen the mixed reviews too, but decided to give it a try anyway. We had a wonderful meal and excellent service - that was in May 2010. Our seats were several rows back from the aquarium, but it was still a lovely experience.

tinkman
09-09-2011, 06:19 AM
We ate dinner there in 2007. The two of us had seats right next to the aquarium which was fun to look at. The dinner? I am not a seafood eater so my choices were very limited. As I recall, I had a steak and I think DW had salmon. To me, it was so-so, but I think it was way overpriced for what it was. I've never really had a urge to go back. If DW wants to go back, I will, but otherwise, I much prefer the Beirgarten.

mgmnut
09-09-2011, 07:51 AM
We ate there in July. The food was ok, nothing too memorable. The best meal at our table was our son's steak. The service was very good. We were on the dining plan and my DW insisted we make reservations there. We had eated there back about 16 years ago and loved it then, so DW wanted to try it again regardless of the reviews. There are so many choices for places to eat at Epcot, I don't think we will be going back any time soon.

Butters
09-09-2011, 08:44 AM
We've ate there our last two trips, 2010 and 2008, and are going again next Feb, my wife and I both enjoy the food, and we always ask to be seated next to the aquarium. Takes a little longer to be seated but well worth the view.

kathiep
09-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Just ate there at the end of August. It was our first time there. The atmosphere is really pretty cool - our kids really liked it. There wasn't a tremendous amount of options on the menu and the food was OK. Service was a little slow and when we did receive service - it felt a little rushed. Overall it was a nice evening but we won't be rushing to go back.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
09-09-2011, 09:05 AM
DH and I ate there in Jan 2009. While we were not right next to the aquarium, we had a great view of the aquarium. We are huge seafood eaters (we actually live only 30 minutes from the beach) and thoroughly enjoyed our meal, our waiter, the view, and the pace at which everything ran. It was a bit slower paced, but as we were celebrating both our anniversary and our 1st vacation alone since we had our children - we were okay with a slower pace.

And because I have food allergy issues, the chef personally visited our table both before the meal and during the meal to make sure everything was prepared the way I needed it. He was the only head chef that came out during our entire visit.

WDWForever
09-09-2011, 09:44 AM
I've eaten there many times and most recently just ate there a couple of weeks ago (August 26). If we can fit it in, we usually make reservations. This time we were supposed to be seated 4 rows aways from the tank but asked if the empty table by the tank was available and after checking they moved us easily. It was nice that it kept my girls occupied for most of the meal. I loved the mussels appetizer and got the mahi mahi for entree. Service was on par.

magicofdisney
09-09-2011, 07:37 PM
It's been several years but our experience there was wonderful. We also ate at Le Cellier that trip and Coral Reef's food was far superior. I definitely want to make a return trip.

RichGuy
09-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Hate to say, but I'll probably never eat there again. It's not that it's bad, but it can't match my expectations.

My first meal there was in 2000, and the menu has really fallen off since then. The lobster bisque was downright decadent, and now... it's just "meh" in comparison.

The ambiance is great, get lunch there just to watch the tank.

tundramom
09-10-2011, 04:22 PM
We ate there last trip and due to change in plans are eating there again this year (not too objectionable, just wasn't first choice).DH and I had steak- a little salty for my taste, daughter had phyllo mushroom entree-against my recommendations- she didn't like it-as I expected, and ended up stealing my steak. I strongly dislike phyllo, and mushroom concoction could have been so much better (thinking mushroom risotto at Le Cellier :cloud9:) so I ended up leaving relatively unfed. Service was a little slow, but not an issue, ambiance was why we went and didn't disappoint. We are not seafood eaters but really enjoyed the view (seated 2 rows up but still a fantastic view). I think I'll try the chicken this time.;)

5MemphisTiggers
09-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks, everyone! It seems that the steak is one of the best things on the menu. Since I'm already having lunch at Le Cellier, I may pass this trip and try again later (when I'm taking advantage of free dining).

(Now, if I can just get into 'Ohana . . . :D)

RAIDER
09-13-2011, 08:02 AM
Were going in Dec and it will be our first time ,so i am looking forward to it slightly more now ..:thumbsup:

mickeyman42
09-13-2011, 09:06 AM
we ate here back in march. We had a seat right next to the aquarium which the kids enjoyed, and the service was ok, nothing amazing but not the worst we've had. I had the salmon and enjoyed it, DW had the mahi mahi and swears never again. Overall I liked it (but my tastes may have been swayed by the chocolate wave) but the DW and DD's (9 and 5) didn't like it, and we may never be back. It was ok, but on our last trip a few weeks ago we had much better dining options, GF cafe, Kona (dinner), Les chefs de france, and wolfgang puck cafe, all much, much better experiences.

ginger19
09-14-2011, 07:39 AM
We ate there in 2007 and have never been back. My food was inedible and it took 2 hours. The tank is great for the first hour but I had enough of it after that. The service was horrendous and the lobby was so loud and so packed that I had to step over 3 famlies to get to the rest room. It's on my list for ones not to try again for sure.

azcavalier
09-14-2011, 09:44 AM
We ate there in 2007 and have never been back. My food was inedible and it took 2 hours. The tank is great for the first hour but I had enough of it after that. The service was horrendous and the lobby was so loud and so packed that I had to step over 3 famlies to get to the rest room. It's on my list for ones not to try again for sure.

Wow. Well, that's certainly not the norm. We've eaten here five or six times, and never had a bad meal or bad service. One time we ate at Le Cellier one day, and here the next, and I thought that the steak was better at the Coral Reef. They used to have a pork chop on the menu that my wife *loved*, but they have pulled it.

Tigerinvestigator
09-14-2011, 03:15 PM
First of all I like your avatar.....I am a uofm alum thus the name Tigerinvestigator! We have never had a bad meal at coral reef but were never blown away with the food either. This past March we tried it again and it was excellent. We already have plans to eat there on the next trip. Pretty much like anywhere else, there are good meals and bad meals....but we will definately be back!:thumbsup:

yjgirl32
09-14-2011, 04:43 PM
My ds and I ate there in June of this year and just last week and both times the service and the food were excellent. I have eaten here in 2007, 2009, and 2010 and have never gotten anything but great food and great service. I too am not a seafood eater, but loved my steak and cooked perfectly- no pink). Good luck

Silver_Surfer
09-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Hate to say, but I'll probably never eat there again. It's not that it's bad, but it can't match my expectations.

My first meal there was in 2000, and the menu has really fallen off since then. The lobster bisque was downright decadent, and now... it's just "meh" in comparison.

The ambiance is great, get lunch there just to watch the tank.

This for me also:unsure: Was there this May. I had hopes but the wait was long and the food was just OK. Hate to say it but rated last on my list for my dinner experiences from my 16 dinners at WDW.

AllDisney
09-15-2011, 07:17 PM
We have always been more than happy with the food & service:mickey:

TinksGoofyMom
09-16-2011, 03:43 PM
My family has been here twice. Both times the food was great but they did take Lobster off the menu. Our first experience was terrific. The 2nd time, they lost dinner orders for 10 tables. They did bring extra appetizers but we didn't need them on top of those we had and the dinner we were waiting for. The waiter brought the wrong drinks then spilled them all over the table and 2 of our group. I would go again, but my family isn't ready to forget the service yet.

disneydeb
09-16-2011, 04:00 PM
We have eaten there twice in the past 3 years and we have loved it! It was a better experience than LeCellier last trip!:thumbsup: