PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane policy question

slottedpig
09-08-2011, 02:58 PM
We are going to WDW in 13 days ( yeah!!!) and I have a question. I don't expect any weather issues but if there is a hurricane I see from the Disney site that I can reschedule my trip with no penalties from them. My airline is of course a different story. For our trip we have a very nice pin code -- 40% off at the Yacht Club. If I am reading the policy right I will lose the pin code discount. That sounds like a pretty steep penalty to me. Anyone have any experience with a situation like this?

Strmchsr
09-08-2011, 04:37 PM
In general, yes, you lose the discount, though Disney often works with you in any way that they can. Sometimes they'll give you the bounceback offer or something similar to help if you have to reschedule. I'll be down the same time, so see you then! :mickey:

TheRustyScupper
09-08-2011, 05:28 PM
1) As mentioned, yes.
2) The codes are good for specific times.
3) To use them otherwise might defeat the purpose. *
4) Fall is hurricane season.
5) You book you trip and take your chances.

* If you cancel and move it to, say Christmas, would it be right to offer 40% off on a holiday. If not a holiday, then when would it be proper? You can see the problem.

SBETigg
09-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Chances are slim, but it's good to be prepared. As long as you can get there safely, if it happens while you're there, you would be in good hands. I've been to WDW during a hurricane (wilma). They closed the parks, but they added hours the next day to make up for it. Plus, they had character visits in the lobby, in room disney movies and our resort was serving meals, in no danger of a food shortage (at the Poly that time). Disney has great hurricane management. They really work hard to make sure all guests are familiar with hurricane safety tips. Not that I am recommending traveling to an area with a hurricane prediction, but if you are there, you will be well looked after and hopefully won't miss much park time.

BigRedDad
09-08-2011, 07:32 PM
What storm are you even concerned with?

Maria is going to head back out to sea like Katia. If it comes towards the eastern sea board, it will be north of FL affecting people traveling (like me!!!).

Strmchsr
09-09-2011, 07:48 AM
What storm are you even concerned with?

I think the concern is with the as yet unformed Ophelia which some models are showing threatening Florida around Sept 22-23. I've been discussing it some in the forecast thread. Since that's WAY out there, though, it's nothing to be concerned about.

It looks pretty set now, that Maria will follow Katia's path and won't bother anyone. I think you'll be okay. Not set in stone, but I feel pretty confident on that.

waymickey
09-09-2011, 12:32 PM
We were in disney when hurricane charlie hit and we had a great time. Parks were empty the day before day after. Characters came to the resort and sat on the floor and played board games with the kids. Hotel brought everyone a sort of Happy meal to eat and a flashlight in case power went off. The TV played classic disney shows as well as regular programming.

Keep your reervation, enjoy the discout .

diz_girl
09-09-2011, 02:09 PM
I think the concern is with the as yet unformed Ophelia which some models are showing threatening Florida around Sept 22-23.

I was in WDW during the infamous 2005 hurricane season (Katrina, Rita, Wilma), actually while the previous hurricane Ophelia sat (relatively close) off the Florda coast for a few days. I remember watching Illuminations in a deluge from the Outpost. It didn't make a direct hit and WDW operations were not affected. The chances that a hurricane will make a direct hit at WDW while you are there and it will have to close is pretty low. So just hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and have a great time.

Janmac
09-09-2011, 05:37 PM
As others have said, as long as a hurricane is not affecting the day of your travel, I would not let an approaching hurricane change your Disney plans.

We tried an early September trip in 2008, driving down to WDW through the remnants of Faye, here in Missouri. Rain was so heavy we were all going about 35 mph at times.

Once we were at WDW we experienced some heavy rains due to Ike but nothing closed. We were thoroughly soaked by the time we arrived at Akershus for our supper ADRs. I saw a CM in rain jacket and pants - that's what we would have liked. But we had a good meal.

Gustav dumped a bunch of rain in Missouri, while we were in Florida. This situation might be a problem, as you'd have to leave WDW. I think it was Gustav that caused some outages around Houston. We were talking to a family at breakfast one morning who were extending their Disney visit because flights to Houston were cancelled. They were slightly worried about their house but their neighbors were keeping them updated as to the situation in their neighborhood.

We sure kept an eye on the NWS Hurricane website both before we left and while at Disney. And we weren't too happy while driving through the Faye remnants. And we did bring some movies, flashlights, and extra snacks in case we experienced a hurricane directly. But we'd go back to Disney World during early September, for sure.

Jan

slottedpig
09-09-2011, 09:22 PM
I appreciate all the replies. I really don't think we'll have any issues and I suspect we'll just tough it out if we do. I would never expect WDW to honor an off peak discount during a prime season. I do think it would be reasonable to honor the discount on a space available basis during whatever period it was originally offered. Maybe they would if we asked but I am counting on a great time.