PDA

View Full Version : Golf Advice

tinkman
09-07-2011, 06:57 AM
I am planning to play a couple rounds of golf on our trip in October. Problem: to take my clubs or not. According to Southwest, if my clubs are in a hard-plastic travel case, as long as they are under the 50lb limit it will count as one of my two allowed bags. No problem here. I am well under the 50lb limit. Question: has anyone done this with Southwest and has there been any issues? If, all of a sudden they decide to charge me, it'll be $50 each way, making renting clubs a much better value.

BigRedDad
09-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Keep your head down
Stay out of the sand traps
Avoid hazards
Swing through the ball
Follow through

Ooops... :mickey: I have flown with my clubs on SWA. It is very easy and should be no issue. Just keep track of the 50Lb limit. We had to pack the golf balls, golf shoes, and other things in our other luggage to keep the weight down.

QOD99
09-07-2011, 01:52 PM
I too have taken my clubs on SWA and no problems at all! We're playing Osprey Ridge this time...great course! Have a blast!

QOD99
09-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Just because I was curious about the actual policy, I went out to Southwest's website and it says the following:

"Sports Equipment

The following items may be checked at no charge (unless a charge is specified), and will count toward the two-piece free baggage allowance for each fare-paying passenger. Overweight and/or oversize charges may apply.

Golf clubs in a hooded or soft-sided golf bag are conditionally accepted. Golf clubs that are transported in a hard, plastic travel case should be tagged with a regular tag. Golf equipment includes golf clubs, golf balls, and golf shoes, contained in one bag.* Overweight charges may apply. "

Hope this helps!

mdricks
09-07-2011, 05:33 PM
I play every year on a boys weekend golf gettaway. If you pay full price ($100) they throw in club rental.

Watch your october dates. There is a pro tourney in disney late month. It will limit your golf options (although imho they play on the worst two courses)

Have fun
:number1:

DisneyorBust
09-07-2011, 06:31 PM
BigRedDad's advice rings true....especially the follow thru part.
Oh the luggage question! I have taken my clubs, in a soft sided bag and never had a problem at Southwest.
Enjoy your rounds!

tinkman
09-09-2011, 06:32 AM
BigRedDad, I'm still laughing! Thanks for all the responses everyone. We are arriving on Oct 22 and I believe the tournament is over on Sunday the 23rd. I've looked at tee times via thier website and it looks like Osprey Ridge is the only one that has any time left. I was really curious about the comment about Magnolia and Palm being the worse of them. Is Osprey Ridge really, really good? I'm used to paying $25 for 18 holes and if I have to pay over $100, I want to get the "wow" effect.

mdricks
09-12-2011, 06:02 PM
This year (the 19th to be exact!) Will be my first round on ospery. I did not like palm at all. The course was in bad shape and they were putting out foursomes every 5 minutes with no marshall out to insure speed. We were a deuce and it took 6 hours.

Last year played at buena vista. Couse was beautiful, pace was great, and we saw the beer cart more than once.

I am looking forward to osprey and have heard a lot of good things about it. I am asuming its out of the way location is the reason for its slow fill speed.

Have fun!

:number1:

tinkman
09-13-2011, 06:46 AM
MDRICKS, thank you. I feel much better about it now. We are a twosome scheduled for the 10/26. I got on the website and looked at the flyovers and it looks very challenging. Can't wait.

mdricks
09-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Seeing as how I'm there before you let me apologize ahead of time for the lack of scotch on the bev cart.
:D

WDWCrazyKaren
09-19-2011, 10:21 AM
DH has played a number of rounds and rents clubs (no free bags on Delta!). His biggest problem is that he is 6'3", and all of their rental clubs (which are free if you are staying onsite) are just too short. If you can bring your own, DO!