PDA

View Full Version : A 'Who Remembers' Contemporary question!

Suzi Q
09-06-2011, 06:31 PM
This just randomly popped in my brain..I remember seeing old ads from the 70s for the Contemporary showing people water skiing...as I was about 5 yrs old when we stayed there, I don't recall every seeing anyone actually water ski...does anyone know if that was an option way back when? And if there was waterskiing, why was it discontinued? An alligator find a tasty dinner?

faline
09-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Actually, you can still ski at Disney World if you'd like. I've seen folks do it but not often.

Danny Duvall Water Sports (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/water-sports/)

Ian
09-06-2011, 07:11 PM
This just randomly popped in my brain..I remember seeing old ads from the 70s for the Contemporary showing people water skiing...as I was about 5 yrs old when we stayed there, I don't recall every seeing anyone actually water ski...does anyone know if that was an option way back when? And if there was waterskiing, why was it discontinued? An alligator find a tasty dinner?Actually you may be thinking of way back in the day when they had a water ski show on the Seven Seas Lagoon. It was a Cypress Gardens kinda thing called The Wonderful World of Water Ski Show. I think they also called it the Water Ski Spectacular or something.

Don't remember it? Not shocking ... it only ran for a year from '72 to '73.

wdwfansince75
09-07-2011, 09:54 AM
First stay at CR was 75....the show had stopped by then, although there was a short occasional show of Goofy on water ski's in the Lagoon. Later, there was the option to Parasail or waterski on Bay Lake. And Sammy Duval's still offers those services from CR....Hey, have they ever been approached as sponsors?

brownie
09-07-2011, 11:03 AM
[QUOTE=faline;2205779Danny Duvall Water Sports (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/water-sports/)[/QUOTE]

I think it's Sammy Duvall, not Danny. ;)

another tink
09-07-2011, 11:23 AM
I remember seeing Goofy on water skis while we were on the boat to MK. That was my first trip in '75.

faline
09-07-2011, 12:20 PM
I think it's Sammy Duvall, not Danny. ;)

Brain cramp! But it does sound like a nice name - doesn't it? :blush:

brownie
09-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Brain cramp! But it does sound like a nice name - doesn't it? :blush:

Send it in! Another idea for Disney courtesy of INTERCOT!

PETE FROM NYC
09-07-2011, 05:21 PM
I saw both water skiing and para-sailing from my window in BLT.

AndrewJackson
09-07-2011, 07:47 PM
I remember seeing Goofy on water skis while we were on the boat to MK. That was my first trip in '75.

I remember this as well. We use to camp every year at Fort Wilderness. Back then, there was no pool, so we would swim in the lake. Every day, a character would ski by the beach - Goofy, Pluto, Pinocchio, etc.

I remember the cheesy ski show as well. I remember they would form a small pyramid.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
09-07-2011, 08:05 PM
My grandparents stayed at the Contemporary right after it opened and my grandfather actually water skied while there. Unfortunately someone else in the family ended up with those photos. They then saved up the money to send my family (mother, father, myself and 2 siblings) to Disney at Christmas for over a week in 82.

Suzi Q
09-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks everyone! Didn't know there was still waterskiing, I've never ever seen anyone skiing there and I'll be celebrating my 30th trip as an adult this November.

TexasPrincessAurora
09-09-2011, 10:30 PM
I remember in 1991 seeing Mr. Smee waterskiing across Bay Lake as the ferry took us to the MK in the morning. Was so neat to see!

Tigerinvestigator
09-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Yep I remember as well during the 1970's. I have fond memories of swimming in both Bay Lake at the CR (we had a room that opened almost right on the beach) and 7 Seas Lagoon at the Poly. I even remember getting in trouble when I was seven by a lifeguard at the Poly for taking a mask and snorkel into the 7 Seas Lagoon. She explained it was because they didn't want any glass to break in the water......as a seven year old I thought that was stupid because my mask was made out of plastic. lol

steamboat willy
09-16-2011, 11:49 AM
This just randomly popped in my brain..I remember seeing old ads from the 70s for the Contemporary showing people water skiing...as I was about 5 yrs old when we stayed there, I don't recall every seeing anyone actually water ski...does anyone know if that was an option way back when? And if there was waterskiing, why was it discontinued? An alligator find a tasty dinner?

I remember water skiing on Bay Lake and The Seven Seas Lagoon! Water Ski trips were booked out of the Recreation Staff at both marina's at both Poly and Contemporary Resorts.
Back before Sammy and Danny took over.

Goofy, Pluto, Donald and Mr. Smee also graced the waters outside the Magic Kingdom waving at guest as they made their way to and from the Magic Kingdom. I have pictures of our two girls playing in the sand at the Poly when Goofy and Pluto skied up onto the beach for a meet and greet.
I've swam and played in Bay Lake, The Seven Seas Lagoon and River Country when you still could......Noting has fallen off thus far!
In the late 70's I also remember a special show for all the Dignitaries from the various Countries that DISNEY was presenting the IDEA of EPCOT to. At night, during a this special FIREWORKS show they had 10 Delta Wing Kite Flyers circling the waters of the Seven Seas Lagoon, 4 Hot Air Balloons tethered to the ground with sparklers shooting from the basket and 4 Aqua Larks....the small boats they rented out back then (without gas or engine) anchored in 4 corners of the Lagoon that launched a HUGE FIREWORK Rocket to the center of the Lake at the finale. Also the Electrical Water Pageant was also going on during this show. I remember Fireworks being shot from the Light Show barges, but that might have been the 1976 Bi-Centennial.
39 Years Of DISNEY kinda runs together.
REGARDLESS.......In 6 more days, DW, DGS and Steamboat Willy will be watching Fireworks :fworks: from the beach of the Poly again!

See Ya Real Soon!:wave:

lawgirl
10-05-2011, 02:26 PM
My dad and grandparents went alot back in the '70's. They always talk about water skiing in WDW...my dad was even approached by a pro scout back in the day, while water skiing at WDW!!

Fun story: my dad and aunt had driven late into the night, back in the '70's, and had just pulled in to the CR. They didn't have a reservation, and asked for the cheapest room. The only room available was the penthouse suite, and the CM let them have it for the price of the standard room. Talk about magic!!!