PDA

View Full Version : Bad ECV driver advice . .

EeyoresBestFriend
09-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Apple seems to be the company of choice and I have a question.

The person that we are renting it for is an absent minded, distracted person that will not be a good driver. This will be her first time EVER on an ecv.

Is there a way to "drive " the ecv while walking beside it? Please don't say get a wheelchair because all of us are older and no one can get through a day pushing her, let alone ten days . . . .

Any thoughts or hints? We've thought of walking in front of her so that she won't hit other people, but we also know that we will be continuously run down.

Sigh . . . . . .

Disney4us2
09-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Have her practice at her local Target or Walmart or grocery stores. Also have her practice parallel parking to the left for the busses. Keep her speed on the lowest setting. On my ecv the settings are turtle up to rabbit.

Have her practice at the resort.

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-04-2011, 02:23 PM
I agree with keeping it on the "turtle" setting, which is actually fairly slow, so it might help.

It sounds like you might have to take turns "policing" her, walking right beside the EVC and keeping an eye out.

I'm sorry, it sounds like this is going to be a really stressful part of the trip for you. When my Mom rented an ECV on her last trip (first time too, following knee surgery), it did take her a couple of days to get really comfortable with it, so a slow start, with lots of practice will also help.

disneymom15
09-04-2011, 03:28 PM
First hand experience here. My mom was in LaLa land last trip (over medicated). I walked beside her and controlled the speed knob. It was stressful, but not as stressful as if I had let her go on her own. She was so out of it, she ran off the side of the ramp on the bus and rolled her scooter over. Good luck. I feel for you.

ElenitaB
09-04-2011, 04:12 PM
If the "driver" is able to walk some, I would recommend that another member of your party handle the getting the ECV on and off the bus.

Many moons ago we travelled with my mom who was extremely nervous about the whole experience of using the ECV, so I drove it on and off the bus for her (this was prior to my having to use one myself :( ). She was able to walk up the ramp and be seated, before we dealt with the ECV itself.

kakn7294
09-04-2011, 04:22 PM
I have nothing truly helpful to add but just wanted to say that if your inexperienced driver has a good sense of humor, you could make a sign that says "student driver" and attach it to the ECV - that way, everyone has been warned...

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-06-2011, 09:46 AM
I have nothing truly helpful to add but just wanted to say that if your inexperienced driver has a good sense of humor, you could make a sign that says "student driver" and attach it to the ECV - that way, everyone has been warned...

That is an excellent idea:thumbsup:

Itchy
09-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Just got back from WDW and the lady friend used an ECV and did well. When in heavy crowds I would just walk ahead of her a few step and kind of cleared the way. Most of the folks down there would not give any to ECV's or Strollers.

Most of the time I walked along side of her. By doing that you can monitor the speed they would have the ECV set on.

Hope this helps.:mickey:

BigRedDad
09-15-2011, 12:42 PM
ECV's are weapons. People should be required to be licensed for one and carry insurance policies.