PDA

View Full Version : Sleigh Rides

amy853
09-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Hey Guys!
Has anyone done the sleigh ride "thing" around the holidays? I'm getting conflicting info re: whether it's an actual sleigh, or a carriage and where it departs from. I've heard the campground, and WL. Just wondering if it is worth it (traveling in early Dec with Mom, DH and kids 5&7), and if so, is it a real sleigh and where does it go? Thanks so much for your help everyone!

buzznwoodysmom
09-03-2011, 01:56 PM
We are doing it in December and here is the info I got when I booked it. Its not an actual sleigh. Its a carriage that's been "built"/"decorated" to look like a red sleigh. The ride departs from Ft. Wilderness Campground. I'm pretty sure it departs from in front of the Blacksmith's shop. We did the Haunted carriage ride last Oct. and if I remember correctly that's where it departed from.

amy853
09-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Thank you so much! So you liked it? Worth the $? Do I call the regular Disney reservation line to book?

buzznwoodysmom
09-03-2011, 05:12 PM
We really loved the Halloween one, so I imagine we'll enjoy the Christmas one. We've rode through Ft. Wilderness, in our own car, for Thanksgiving once and the decorations were so elaborate. Amazing! We are thinking of bringing one of our iPhones and a small speaker set to play holiday music during the ride. I don't know if they provide music or not, but we'll be prepared just in case. And I think we'll fill up our mugs with hot chocolate before we head there too. We are staying at WL so we have a very short drive, hot chocolate should stay warm enough. If its a cold night I'm going to bring small blankets to cozy up with. Our luck it'll be a nice warm Florida night and mess up all my plans. LOL.

I don't remember where I called. I think when I was making my ADRs I asked the CM about it and she transfered me to the correct number.

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
09-04-2011, 10:19 PM
We did this Christmas time of 2010. It looks just like a sleigh but its not. It is drawn by a huge Clydesdale horse. It was really beautiful. We even had a "private" tour in the stables where the Headless Horseman horse is housed. A castmember told us we could go in the barn and check it out before our sleigh ride. Well.... it was actually closed and the cast member was wrong. We didn't know and it was all innocent. The castmember in the stable asked us what we were doing and we told him and he said actually noone is allowed in here! We of course apologized and was told normally it was roped off and someone took down the rope. He then proceded to explain each horse on our was back out of the barn. Awesome experience and a tad embarassing too. We are huge animal lovers and we were happy they were so understanding.
It was fun riding through the park and seeing everyones unique decorations. We rode for about 45 minutes. It was very relaxing and quiet too.

Have fun!! Dawn,Denis&DIane:wave::wave::wave:

brivers222
09-06-2011, 11:25 PM
we are doing a sleigh ride on our 1 month anniversary... its a surprise to my new wife ;)

There wasn't many options of time slots left when I called 2 months ago... they seem to fill up fast.

We have a 6:30 ressie for it... which is nice because we have a 4pm HDDR

TexansInNY
09-07-2011, 02:53 PM
We do Christmas as well when there - I won't hit on the "sleigh" and horse but they are wonderful - my favorite part was actually seeing all of the campsites/RV's decorated - I mean decorated - for the holidays - and listening to the driver discuss - would definitely do it again!

brivers222
12-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Surprised my wife with this on our 1 month anniversary.... it was sooo nice. It rained the entire day before and up until 3 the day of (I was getting nervous lol) but when the time came for the ride the skies cleared up and listened to the hooves and jingle bells of the horse under a moonlite night sky.

The campgrounds and decorated to full capacity of the sites... i am not sure how they get space for all those things, let alone bring them to disney lol..... its truely a sight to see!

mom2morgan
12-21-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm glad it was fun! Thanks for updating us :-)

Surprised my wife with this on our 1 month anniversary.... it was sooo nice. It rained the entire day before and up until 3 the day of (I was getting nervous lol) but when the time came for the ride the skies cleared up and listened to the hooves and jingle bells of the horse under a moonlite night sky.

The campgrounds and decorated to full capacity of the sites... i am not sure how they get space for all those things, let alone bring them to disney lol..... its truely a sight to see!