PDA

View Full Version : It melted before I could taste it - Day 9 & departure

Lisaj13
09-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Day 9 (August 24) – Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom

Our last day. I think the weathermen in Florida must have a job description similar to police. Boredom and paperwork interrupted by moments of sheer terror. I swear every morning the forecast is exactly the same – currently 76, going to 92 later today, with 50% chance of thunderstorms this afternoon. Nevertheless, I check the forecast every morning. After watching the news about Hurricane Irene I’m sort of glad that we’re leaving bright and early tomorrow. I realize that it’s not supposed to impact Florida, but I would be worried about flights being affected if we were leaving later.

It’s morning EMH at Animal Kingdom so we leave a little earlier. The bus pulls up as we’re walking to the bus stop (of course) and we’re riding Expedition Everest by 8:25. We get fast passes and go looking for a shop we were in on our first day. Eventually we find it and I spend way too much money. But after all, it’s our last day!

Now we’re off to the Magic Kingdom. We wait a few minutes for the bus to the TTC and when we get there, there is a huge line-up for the monorail to MK. The line-up for the ferry was long too, but it obviously holds a lot of people because we all make it on.

Once again I head to bag search with a huge bag of souvenirs. Will I ever learn? Probably not. We have an early lunch at Columbia Harbor House, where an incredibly enthusiastic gentleman is welcoming guests. When we leave he’s still outside welcoming people, and even singing.

I drop the kids at the Pirates gift shop while I go to Big Thunder for fast passes. When I return the Pirates wait time is only 10 minutes so we hop on. This time the ending of the ride is a bit different. A Cast Member continues Captain Jack’s song with “Yo ho, yo ho, it’s time to get out of my boats.” He even sounded like him!

We agonize in the gift shop, as we know it’s our last chance. T-shirts are bought and we head for Big Thunder. I don’t know how the ride is different this time, but my glasses get sprayed with water three times. We stop at Aloha Isle for a snack and rest. The kids are leaning towards leaving. I’d like to ride Space Mountain again, so I’m willing to go check out the wait time and possibly get fast passes, but DD1 says it’s not fair that I’d be walking all across the park and back. We compromise. I see on the map that there’s a Tip Board on Main Street, so we all head for it. The wait is too long for the girls so we work our way back via the shops (as usual) and get another person checked off our list. Almost done!

After our monorail trip we have cold drinks and then go to the shop at the Poly, Bou Tiki. The last gift is bought! After showering and supper we slowly begin to pack.

We only walked about 5.5 miles today. A stroll in the park!

Departure Day (August 25)

The alarm went off at 3:15 a.m. What’s worse is I was up before it went off. We are at the front door at 4:00 a.m. as instructed and after stopping at the Grand Floridian we’re off to the airport. At the airport by 5:00 a.m. My suitcase just makes the weight requirements – 48 pounds. I have GOT to start packing lighter.

Going through Security we meet a guard with a sense of humour! “Pick the shortest line. This isn’t Disney World, you don’t have to stand in the longest line.”

Our flight is uneventful (my favourite kind) and filling out the form for Customs keeps me awake. In Toronto we breeze through Customs, transfer our bags, and head for our gate. The girls are hungry so we stop at Tim Horton’s. Where I realize why we’re hungry. It’s 11:30 and breakfast was at 3:30. Being the most sensible person in our group I nap on the plane.

So that was our trip. To sum up, Intercot advice was correct. Arrive at opening, have a plan, and you’ll be amazed at what you can do. My arthritis never bothered me a bit, and while the heat and humidity were hard on us we knew when to take time for an ice cream and when it was time to call it quits. We saw lots of cranky kids/families, but we managed to keep it all in perspective and enjoy ourselves. And I’m still amazed at how great the buses, ferry and monorail were. Ten minutes was the longest we waited for any transportation.

We didn’t get everything done we wanted to, but that just means we’ll have to go back!

Strmchsr
09-02-2011, 02:49 PM
I swear every morning the forecast is exactly the same – currently 76, going to 92 later today, with 50% chance of thunderstorms this afternoon.

I have often said I could write my forecast on June 1 and not change it again until Sept 1 and I would be right, barring a tropical event, 99% of the time - Highs in the 90s, lows in the 70s, 33% chance of an afternoon sea breeze thunderstorm. I can't tell you how many creative ways I try to come up with to say that very thing through the summer months on our Intercot weather forecast thread. :mickey:

I'm glad you had such a great trip. Thanks for sharing!

Auntie B
09-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Loved reading about your trip! Thanks for sharing!:mickey:

T-Belle
09-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks so much for taking us along on your wonderful trip!

faline
09-02-2011, 07:06 PM
What a nice trip you had! I'm also amazed at the luck you had with transportation with no long waits at all!

Yes, the weather forecast is pretty much the same all through the summer in Florida. Lots of folks who don't know this get upset when they see rain in the forecast every single day!

pdrlkr
09-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

January-2007
09-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Thanks so much for sharing.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Sounds like you and the girls had a wonderful trip:mickey:

Joannelet
09-06-2011, 03:26 PM
I loved your description of the weathermen in Florida! Once again made me laugh! You had such a wonderful trip! I know how hot it is there and your girls sound like such good sports through it all! The cast member on POTC sounded funny too! Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us!

Disney4us2
09-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Sounds like a wonderful trip. Happy birthday to dd:party:

WDWCrazyKaren
09-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Thank you so much for sharing your trip! Sounds like you and both of your girls were able to simply enjoy everything instead of making life miserable. Way to go!

princessgirls
09-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks for sharing your wonderful trip with us!!

I was in WDW at the same time...weather was the same bright beautiful mornings...hot humid and a shower in the afternoon. The one day that the forecast was for 70% rain....we got none!

We never got drenched, used the ponchos and were happy when we didn't have to run outside in the deluge! They never lasted long.

Julie:mickey:

Tigerinvestigator
09-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Great Trip!! You got alot done and still relaxed and got plenty of rest at night. Got me wanting to book a week at the Poly now!! Thanks for taking the time to give us a report.

emerzmom
09-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Thanks for a great trip report!

Jennifer_and_Chris
09-13-2011, 10:07 PM
beautiful time! thanks for sharing and giving me the courage to LEAVE THE PARK EARLY... it's ok, it will always be there.... :D