PDA

View Full Version : It melted before I could taste it - Day 2

Lisaj13
09-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Day 2 (August 17) – Epcot

We had breakfast in our room again. It definitely speeds things up. DD2 stood outside to spray on her sunscreen, and when I went outside to check on her my glasses fogged up again. Sigh. We walked to the TTC to get the Monorail, and it came right away.

At Epcot we watched Goofy, Pluto and Minnie while we waited. As soon as we were allowed in we headed for Mission: Space, orange side. Awesome! (Warning: I will be using the word awesome a lot.) Then we got fast passes for later and went to Universe of Energy. When we came out Innoventions was already busy so we headed back to Mission: Space to use our fast passes. On the way I was thrilled to see that the Jamitors were performing, so we stopped and enjoyed watching them. Once again stomachs demanded attention. We stopped at the Electric Umbrella when it opened at 11:00 and had an early lunch (no lines!)

World Showcase time! On our way to Mexico we stopped and listened to Mariachi Cobre. Then we entered the pyramid and strolled through the market. I just love the distant smoking volcano, I think the effect is great. Then off to enjoy our favourite furious duck on the Gran Fiesta Tour.

At Norway we rode Maelstrom, and DD1 reminded us that we have to stop at the bakery later. After the ride we stopped to enjoy the film. Did there used to be seats in the theatre? I seem to recall standing to watch it some years ago. We exit via the gift shop. There are some great t-shirts here, I must come back.

We wandered through China and onto Germany. Just a note of explanation: my DD2 isn’t terribly interested in anything that isn’t a ride, so getting her to watch a film is a major accomplishment – which we don’t always accomplish. Hence our accelerated pace through World Showcase. We had to explore Karamel Kuche because we are all caramel fans. We got a caramel apple, caramel brownie and dark chocolate caramel. Talk about decadent sweets. But yummy!

It had been getting cloudier as the afternoon progressed and while we were in Italy it started to rain. We took our time looking at the gorgeous masks from Venice and by the time we left it was coming down harder, so we bought ponchos at American Adventure. Soon it was pouring, but with our ponchos it wasn’t so bad. We took our time in Mitsukoshi, and I had promised my girls that they could pick a pearl, so they did that and then agonized over how they wanted them set. Eventually settings were picked (sword and oyster) and we left them to be completed and went to check out Morocco.

There were many beautiful things in Morocco, but what got my family excited was a t-shirt with a camel on it and “Habibi” underneath. My kids love MASH and there was an episode where Klinger had an invisible camel he called Habibi. Obviously, we have to get the t-shirt. When I was paying for the shirts I asked the CM if Habibi meant camel. Nope, it means “my love”. You learn something every day.

By now the rain had stopped and the pearls should be ready, so we head back to Japan. The drummers are performing so we stopped and listened to them. We pick up the pearl pendants and always aware of flagging energy levels decide to call it a day. Working our way towards the monorail, we stop at the bakery at Norway (as promised) and pick up goodies for tomorrow’s breakfast. And to help us make it all the way back to the monorail we pick up churros to eat on the way.

The monorail came quickly and before you can fall asleep we’re back at the Poly. The kids turn on the t.v. and there is much rejoicing – Gunsmoke is on! DD2 loves Gunsmoke. I can see she won’t be moving until it’s over so DD1 and I go to Captain Cook’s and bring supper back. I sit on the patio and read and do more observations of wildlife, until the clouds gather again. More rain. We were thinking of going to Illuminations but with the iffy weather decide to stay in and relax.

faline
09-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Lovely day in Epcot! To my knowledge, there have always been seats in the theater at the end of the Norway ride.

T-Belle
09-02-2011, 05:34 PM
The bakery in Norway is a new "must" for us. We discovered it on our last visit thanks to a fellow Intercotee's trip report. Did you try the school bread?? Yummy!!! Great report!

pdrlkr
09-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

January-2007
09-04-2011, 10:35 PM
What a nice day! Thanks for reporting.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-06-2011, 10:02 AM
thanks for the report, that's interesting about the camel t-shirt. I don't remember that MASH episode:blush:

BigRedDad
09-06-2011, 10:30 AM
WS tends to grow on you. If it is just myself, I would really enjoy it. This trip will not be that way. DD5 will not enjoy it so Epcot will be a one day activity for us.

Glad you are having fun.

Joannelet
09-06-2011, 02:39 PM
What a great day in Epcot! Your mention of food has made me so hungry! :)

KylesMom
09-07-2011, 01:25 PM
What a nice, leisurely tour of Epcot - complete with some great food & snacks. We've found that as DS gets older, we spend more and more time at Epcot, just browsing and taking in all of the entertainment. There's so much to discover!

You're having some great luck with transportation - I hope it continues for you! :mickey:

emerzmom
09-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Sounds like a great day and ending with Gunsmoke is perfect ;)
:mickey:
Julie

Tigerinvestigator
09-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Sounds like a good day. My DW loves the bakery in Norway!

Jennifer_and_Chris
09-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Oh, you make me want caramels even more...

vizsla
09-17-2011, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the report.