PDA

View Full Version : What the hey? Final Thoughts

Mickey'sGirl
08-31-2011, 09:49 PM
What the hey? Let’s just go to Disneyworld – August 14-24, 2011

Awesome cast of characters:
Me (Jennifer )
Brian (My partner in crime for 38 of my 42 years – CanadianWDWFan)
Harry (Just turned 13, is growing like a weed and is ALWAYS hungry)
Euan (7 years old and loves all things Disney, especially Mickey)

My final thoughts.

I definitely feel that a longer stay is the only way for us to go. We need the come and go leisure that comes with a longer stay.

We missed staying at DVC. This was our first resort stay (other than a few days at the Contemporary last year) since purchasing DVC, and we felt a difference. We missed the kitchen … and there is a different vibe to a DVC resort … not as much anxious “OH I gotta do this now” about it.

The Animal Kingdom Lodge is beautiful, and the staff working there are among the best we’ve ever experienced; always polite and helpful and courteous without effort. They were just fabulous. That said, after the initial “OOHs and AAHs” of looking out on a savannah, I kind of wish we had just stayed at the French Quarter. Even though I don’t mention it in my daily reports, we did spend time each day; morning and night, visiting with the animals off of our balcony. Incredible to see them so close and appear to be so happy and healthy.

There is only one pool for all the guests at Jambo House and it was hot and very busy no matter when we visited it. This is a huge hotel, and at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, I was sure that we were actually commuting to and from Nairobi each day.

The minimal planning really really worked for us. We had made 6 ADRs for 10 nights, and ended up cancelling some of them too (I still haven’t made it to the Grand Floridian Café for my lobster burger! L ) . We were more than full and fed for far less than it would have cost us for even just the QS Dining Plan … and that includes our Ice Cream budget and the $250 spent at Brown Derby!!

The amount of food we saw being thrown out during our stay was horrifying; I am talking about full meals that hadn’t even been touched as well as many many many desert foods. It is my opinion that just because you have a “credit” doesn’t mean you should take it if you don’t intend on eating it.

The things people take into the parks astounds me! You are going for the day people, not a week! I’ve done the parks with a young baby and a little kid. I know you need stuff … but, WOW! One day going into Epcot, the family in front of me had two children aged about 5 and 3, a double stroller and 2 backpacks, a diaper bag, a purse and a stroller bag. It took security about 10 minutes to check it all out … because even if it isn’t a purse, it is still a bag folks! The security lady thanked me when I arrived with just my small over the shoulder purse. I was through the gates before that other family was even zipped up again!

Take the time to see the attractions. One Man’s Dream, The AFI exhibit, the movies and programs at the different Epcot Pavilions, Take the train around the park. These are fabulous activities.

Let the kids take the lead sometimes. Letting them in on the decision making gives them a sense of control, and makes for a much saner park experience … especially during busy times with extreme heat and humidity.

Rain is just rain, and everyone else looks just as soggy as we do. The wet look is always “in”. J

Take the time to sit on a bench. I had some great conversations with complete strangers. It was such a pleasure!

Thank you and a smile goes a long way. As does I’m sorry or excuse me. I really enjoyed my holiday.

Swimming always makes things better. As do :bar: :bar: .

I miss the Disney “shorts” in the room. We had them at the Contemporary last year, but not a thing this year. L

Driving is the way for us to go if we can. We spent about $400 TOTAL in gas driving our Malibu from Toronto to Orlando and back. We spent about $105 for one night in each direction coming and going on hotels, spent a day and a half on the road. It works for us, and I love that I have my car as well.

West Virginia has awesome roads.

Enjoying time with friends at the World is very special, and we are very fortunate to have made so many friends here on INTERCOT.

We’re getting ready to book our DVC stay at the Boardwalk for next summer, and we are all pretty excited about it. So the magic is still alive and well!

ElenitaB
09-01-2011, 12:42 AM
I love all your words of wisdom and concur with them wholeheartedly!

So next year at the Boardwalk? Sounds perfect!

candace flynn
09-01-2011, 07:10 AM
"The things people take into the parks astounds me! You are going for the day people, not a week!"

We were there for some of your dates and I thought the same thing! Maybe they thought the 2 week safari was really 2 weeks! :)
I hate carrying anything, so I cram all the neccessities into a small shoulder bag. One night we came back from Epcot around 8pm. People (family of four) got on the bus as we got off with two full backpacks! For what? an hour at the park (assuming they were only going to Epcot!)

Strmchsr
09-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for sharing all of your thoughts.

sassafras
09-01-2011, 11:18 AM
We were there 2 weeks ago and saw several people dragging FULL size suitcases thru the parks on numerous occasions. Just blew my husband's mind!

faline
09-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Glad to hear the next trip is already in the planning stages!

mudpuppysmom
09-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Enjoyed your accounting of your trip! You guys had a wonderful time, some great parking spots and the most important thing -- relaxed!

I too have sat on benches and talked to total strangers (when I was pregnant). While at the time I thought it was just not fair that the boys got to ride and I rode the bench there were times that the wait was so quick and I even met some CM's who were there on their day off!

Yes dragging your life with you takes on new meaning when you go thru security.....we take fanny packs and a small backpack (although we may shed that this trip as we don't need diapers any longer -- YEAH!). My DH's friends laugh at him for carrying his "man purse" but guess what.....he doesn't mind it and often has random items in there that come in handy -- we don't call him MacGyver or nothin'!

I'm sure you are looking forward to your trip next year -- that is a big part of the fun!!

Thanks again for sharing:mickey:

DizNee143
09-01-2011, 04:04 PM
thank you so much for sharing your trip with us..i really enjoyed reading all about it!!:mickey:

pdrlkr
09-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the Report! We do have pretty good roads. :smickey:

Christine
09-02-2011, 12:13 AM
Oh Jenn!! My family loved sharing time with yours, as always!!! Thank you SOOO much for letting us impose & hang out with y'all! Poolside & cocktails- that's our thing!! ;)

Can't wait to bother ya in the summer too!!! :D

disneydeb
09-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Jenn, thanks for sharing!

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-02-2011, 04:36 PM
We are hoping for some free time to people watch and relax on the bench this trip...:blush:

Joannelet
09-03-2011, 08:44 AM
I will be almost 7 months prego on this next trip so lots of bench time for me! When I was a cast member I loved sitting on benches and people watching. It brought so much joy watching peoples faces etc. Can't wait to do that again! Thanks for all your wonderful reports! Loved them all! Have fun planning your next trip!

wildernesslady
09-03-2011, 12:41 PM
What a great family vacation. Thanks for sharing.

Zawadi
09-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Thanks for all of your reports. We really enjoyed reading them and we're in full swing planning our 7-night trip in December.

Darbylew
09-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Enjoyed reading about your trip. Sounds like you are having a great time. We do a lot of the same things when we are there. Nothing like sitting on a bench talking to people from all walks of life at the same time enjoying a
Mickey Mouse bar! :bar:

Hammer
09-04-2011, 11:32 AM
The minimal planning really really worked for us. We had made 6 ADRs for 10 nights, and ended up cancelling some of them too (I still haven’t made it to the Grand Floridian Café for my lobster burger! L ).

Well, now you have to come in October 2012 so we can go to Grand Floridian Cafe for lunch or dinner to have the burger. I'm ready to make the ADR :) !

The things people take into the parks astounds me! You are going for the day people, not a week! I’ve done the parks with a young baby and a little kid. I know you need stuff … but, WOW! One day going into Epcot, the family in front of me had two children aged about 5 and 3, a double stroller and 2 backpacks, a diaper bag, a purse and a stroller bag. It took security about 10 minutes to check it all out … because even if it isn’t a purse, it is still a bag folks! The security lady thanked me when I arrived with just my small over the shoulder purse. I was through the gates before that other family was even zipped up again!

Amen! Do you have to bring your child's whole room to keep he/she occupied at Disney World ?

Rain is just rain, and everyone else looks just as soggy as we do. The wet look is always “in”. [FONT=Wingdings]J!

The notable exception is if one of your party is in a wheelchair. Not fun to be soggy sitting in a chair !

Great report, Jenn! I really enjoyed it!

January-2007
09-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks so much for reporting!

Mickey'sGirl
09-06-2011, 08:49 AM
The notable exception is if one of your party is in a wheelchair. Not fun to be soggy sitting in a chair !
Christine, you made me think of an Epcot visit I had with my Mom (who was wheelchair bound). We had been hit by a multitude of thunderstorms, and the ponchos were just not cutting it, so she bought a long billed goofy hat. We had dinner in France, and my poor soggy Mom wore that hat the whole time. When we came out my Dad wanted something from the Patisserie to take back to the hotel with us. Mom decided to be "parked" under the awning nearby. .... out of the rain and out of the shop. Well didn't that awning spring a leak. ... and when we came out there was a steady stream coming down right on top of that goofy hat and my water-logged mother. Nope. The rain is not fun for those in a wheelchair!

Dsnygirl
09-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Jenn, great thoughts... I echo many of them. Thanks for sharing your memories and special experiences with us -- it was great travelling along with you!! :)

KylesMom
09-07-2011, 11:08 AM
It's been a lot of fun following you, Brian, Euan & Harry around. What a wonderful family trip which included lots of dear friends and magical moments. Thanks for taking the time to share with us all! :mickey:

emerzmom
09-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks so much for sharing your trip. I agree with your final thoughts especially about taking time to just relax, sit on a bench, and talk to strangers. Everyone (almost everyone) is happy and relaxed at WDW...we are all on vacation...and it is fun to meet people from all walks of life enjoying a fun time with family and friends.
Thanks again. Really enjoyed it!
:mickey:
Julie

Nascfan
09-09-2011, 12:47 PM
What a great trip you had! Thank you for sharing and taking us all along. :mickey: