PDA

View Full Version : Marriott Timeshare owners

MarkC
08-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Anyone out there own a Marriott timeshare? First I should share that we have a timeshare at Beach Club through DVC and absolutely love it.

I stayed at a Marriott timeshare in Branson, MO last week a couple of days on business and it was the closest to a Disney type resort I've stayed at. You can buy them on the resale market for a lot less than buying new. However, when I googled them there are some concerns. I understand maintenance fees, but are there other assessments, etc.? Disney contracts have a specific expiration date-- what about Marriott? Any other issues or problems that made you wish you had never bought into it? Thanks.

NJGIRL
08-28-2011, 07:43 PM
I can't speak for the Marriott, but I know the timeshare that I own is deeded for life. Unless I sell it I can pass it on when I die. I pay one maintenance fee per year. If I want to trade off to another resort I have to pay a transfer fee of an additional $150. There is also a yearly fee to join a timeshare trading company. Mine is RCI and I think that is appox $65 per year. If I would use my week at my reosrt every year there is no need to join RCI. Those are the only fees I pay.

Please look into it very carefully before buying because every company has their own rules and fees.

I suggest contacting the Timeshare Store (one of our sponsors). They sell other timeshares besides DVC so they may be able to help you with a Marriott property.

DVC2004
08-29-2011, 11:21 AM
I have heard many of these (Marriott, Hilton) have additional fees for banking and borrowing points. I can't confirm specifics but I have a friend who owns both and complains of being nickeled and dimed (he also owns Disney). However unlike Disney their ownership is deeded indefinitely.