PDA

View Full Version : Vince Scully to return next year!

wdwfansince75
08-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Vin Scully announced during the fifth inning of Friday night's telecast that he will return for a 63rd season as the Los Angeles Dodgers ' primary play-by-play voice next year for all home games and road games against NL West opponents.

I became a Brooklyn Dodger fan from listening to Vince announce the games about 1950, even before we had a TV. Unfortunately, I heard him call "The Shot Heard Round the World. Also heard him call the four home runs in one game by Gil Hodges, and heard the sad news from him that the Dodgers were moving to LA. Years later, heard him announcing Dodger games while driving from LA airport to China Lake.

He would have quit long ago if he were merely an announcer, but he was and is a fan. Most of the voices of my youth are disappearing...No, I can still hear Harry, and even Mel Allen..and Vince.

Scar
08-28-2011, 05:17 PM
... but of course his best call was...

Behind the bag... IT GETS THROUGH BUCKNER... HERE COMES KNIGHT... AND THE METS WIN IT!

wdwfansince75
08-28-2011, 09:27 PM
Not even close! Best call was Kurt Gibson's home run. I also recall that he called the 7th game of the 55 series...the Dodger's first World Series win.
He also shared the mike (with Mel Allen, I believe) for Don Larson's perfect World Series game. I didn't enjoy that one, however. And he announced Hank Arron's 715th home run.

He also did a live game show..where the clues were hidden on the set...He would turn up the clues for the contestants...One story was that the show set him up, with a young lady, sans clothing, hiding where he was supposed to fine the clue...In the trunk of a car, on stage...He opened the trunk, on live tv (the model could not be seen by the audience, nor by the TV camera)...without a pause, he announced, "Nope, not there, they must have moved it!" and closed the trunk...

Scar
10-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Behind the bag... IT GETS THROUGH BUCKNER... HERE COMES KNIGHT... AND THE METS WIN IT! 25 years ago tonight. :party:

wdwfansince75
10-25-2011, 04:50 PM
The most fun I had at a ball park was at Connie Mack Stadium in 1962...late August...we were in Philadelphia as part of our summer Midshipmen training...got to see the Met's lose their 100th game of the season...think they lost about 120 that year! Richie Ashburn was playing for the Mets by then, but got a standing ovation from the crowd...a very small crowd, as I recall...Think Joe Torre was on the Phils then...don't recall either of the pictures...I kept the program for years...lost if during one of our moves. The only reason the crowd stayed to the end of the game is that no one wanted to walk those 5 or 6 blocks back to Broad on their own...