PDA

View Full Version : Late Jan/Early Feb? crowds @ weather

gratuspater
08-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Hi, I've been reading the boards for awhile, and finally decided to join! Everyone on the boards seems pretty nice and helpful, so Thanks, in advance! I was wondering what the crowds and weather are like in late January into early Febuary? We tried mid January this year and it was MUTCH more crowded than I expected! Was this because of the south american tour groups I've heard about? It was also alot rainier than I expected. Would late May be a better option? I'm trying to avoid the crowds, but also trying to keep our trips somewhere close to the end of the school year.
Thanks again.:)

cuteduck223
08-26-2011, 04:05 PM
We went at the end of January/first week of February last year. It was kind of cool, but I know we got by with capri's and tshirts during the day, just adding sweatshirts at night. We only had rain one day, but it was really hit or miss and im sure our resident weather expert STRMCHSR will tell you i was freaking out the week before.

We did see a few larger groups toward the end of the week, but they were easy to avoid (just bypass what they were getting on and circle back or fastpass the attraction for later). We didn't wait more than 20 minutes for anything, and I think that was dumbo late-morning. :)

gratuspater
08-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Wow, that sounds much better than our trip! It rained half of the days we were there and 1 hr waits seemed pretty common. But we also didn't have park hoppers, won't be making that mistake again. Thanks for your reply.:)

Strmchsr
08-26-2011, 04:34 PM
:welcome: to Intercot!!!

The weather in January can be really iffy. It's possible to see highs in the 70s, but 2 years ago it was 33 with snow flurries at noon when I arrived. So, you never know. Check the historic weather conditions page in Info Central to get exact data for the last several years and you'll get a good feel for what to expect.

The crowds you saw in mid-Jan will be pretty similar to the end of Jan/early Feb. The south american tour groups have definitely up the crowds in Jan considerably. As for late May, the weather is MUCH warmer (upper 80s to mid 90s, again, check Info Central) and crowds are not small, but manageable. The thing is, there's not a "slow" time at WDW any more. You pretty much have to go expecting crowds any time of the year. So, just pick when works best for you and go have a good time. Folks here can give you good advice on how to make the most of your time even with crowds.

gratuspater
08-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the info. We have been to wdw in Sep. Oct. quite a few times, but it just seemed to be geting busier each trip. That's why we decided to try Jan. and I was just expecting significantly smaller crowds. I know now that Jan. and June or July are big tour group months, but what about the first 2 weeks of Feb? I wouldn't mind trying those weeks, because the last 2 weeks are significantly higher pts. for DVC, and I hear those last 2 weeks can be buse also. Thanks again.:)

Strmchsr
08-28-2011, 08:34 AM
The first two weeks of Feb are not as bad for tour groups. They tend to leave around the first of Feb. But, there are cheerleading and dance competitions the first couple of weeks of Feb, and those factor in. Seriously, there's not a time where the parks are "empty" anymore. You just have to go when you can and have fun.

gratuspater
08-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but Thanks again for the info.:) Maybe Disney should start considering another park to thin these crowds out a little. By the sound of some other threads, others are frustrated at possible changes to fast pass, that may be partially due to busier parks. So frustrated actually, there is talk of dropping dvc, which unfortunately I've even thought about. But it is aggravating when you have spent that kind of money on dvc, and you go during the "off season" and you still find hour long waits! Hopefully we've just hit on the wrong weeks the last 2 years. Thanks again for the input and info.

gottaluvtink
08-29-2011, 10:20 AM
We went last year end of Jan, firs week of Feb. I think that was actually a very good time to go. I LOVED the weather. Actually, it was pretty chilly the first few days. We had sweatshirts on in the middle of the day and by night time, layers and gloves. It was very chilly, but that's the way we like it! The crowds weren't bad at all. We go every September, and as you said, the crowd levels have really gone up in the past few years. We just do both now! :mickey: I prefer Feb. I think you will be fine if you stick with your dates.