PDA

View Full Version : Choosing new bikes, any suggestions?

TheVBs
08-26-2011, 03:28 PM
DH and I have been saying for ages that we're going to get ourselves bikes so that we can all go out for long rides. Neither of us have ridden a bike in years. We're not looking for anything special or expensive, just something that would be comfy and easy for at least a 3 mile ride. Does it matter where we go, Target, Meijers, a specialty bike store? How do you figure out what would work best? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :mickey:

BrerGnat
08-26-2011, 03:50 PM
I highly recommend Trek bikes. They are not cheap, but they do have some entry range bikes that are not too expensive.

I'd definitely go to a specialty bike store. The bikes you get at Target are not the best in terms of quality, weight, and longevity. Better to get a bike that is well suited to what type of rides you want, your body type, etc. Bikes are NOT one size fits all...

I'd start at Trek's website, and then use the "find a retailer near you" feature to find a local bike shop.

I have to say, though, a 3 mile ride is nothing. You'll likely find that you can (and will want to) go much further with a good quality bike. My 5 and 7 year old can do a 3 mile ride no problem. I regularly do 12-15 mile rides...takes me about an hour, usually.

TheVBs
08-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Thank you for the tip! I'll look into those. There's a bike shop just down the street from us. I'll stop in and see what they have and what the prices are like. I noticed some bikes at Meijers, I think the style is called "comfort"? They looked just my speed. I'd like to sit upright, I've never been comfortable riding leaning forward. The ones at Meijers were in the $160 range. If I can find something for not too much more at a bike shop, I'd be happy with that.

DH on the other hand doesn't want to spend ANY money on bikes. He'd be happy with a bike someone else is throwing away.

And, yes, I think you're right, 3 miles is probably nothing on a bike. I'm hoping to do a lot more than that, which is why I want to make sure I get a bike I'm comfortable on.

Thanks again!

DizneyRox
08-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Bikes don't typically ship assembled. Last time I was in a [Insert local discount chain store here] I wasn't at all worried about being the dumbest one in the store.

I wouldn't trust a bike purchased at one of those places as far as I could throw a 30-40lbs bike.

Your local bike shop would be a much better/safer place. Even if it's just for the piece of mind that you wheels won't fall off a mile and 1/2 from home leaving you stranded with a case of road rash that would rival an Evil Kenevil stunt gone bad.

Disney Hungarian
08-26-2011, 08:09 PM
I decided to buy a bike about 2 years ago. I did all of the research and then went shopping. I went to the 2 bike shops that were near enough to me. One sold the Trek line and the other sold the Giant line. At both places I was able to get a frame the correct size for me and was able to test ride the bikes. I went with the Giant. It was a better fit for me and it had a few extra features the Trek did not have for the same price. Both were a little pricey though. About $500. But I am still happy with my purchase. I usually ride about 14 miles in an hour every other day. I am hot when finished, but not winded.

brownie
08-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Go to a bike shop and not a retailer like Target or Meijer. The bike shop will fit you to the proper size bike and make all the adjustments that go along with that. The shop may or may not throw in routine maintenance on the bike for a period of time as well. If the shop is reputable, you will be asked about what you want to do with the bike and be presented with appropriate bikes to look at.

At retailers like Meijer and Target, the bikes are assembled in the store. It's been a while (I used to work for Meijer), but at Meijer it was am outside company that came in to bulk assemble a bunch of bikes. More than likely there's going to be something wrong or not quite right with the bike. It's probably fine for a kids bike that won't be used much but if you're serious about riding regularly, I'd go to a bike shop.

My personal preference is Trek. I've had my Trek 6000 for over 10 years now. I've had to replace the cassette, crank arms/front cogs, trigger shifters, and several chains, but only because of wear and tear from use. The frame and most of the components are still in good shape.

luvDaMouse
08-26-2011, 08:36 PM
My Dh and I just purchased our bikes as a matter of fact we will pick them up tomorrow :) we have been shopping for a couple weeks and looked at bikes at wallmart, kmart, target, dicks, sports authority and local bike shops! I agree with the previous posters the bikes at those stores are generic and don't fit everyone. We found the trek comfort bikes first then we moved from there to specialized (that's the brand) the model is the expedition. They are also a comfort bike. Which means you sit more up rite. We got one price at a local shop for 420$ :( then found another shop that was marking all their bikes down for the season and I got my bike for 279 and my Dh's was 279 for an upgraded one called " globe" also a specialized bike. They also gave us 50$ off for buying 2 bikes:) I know it is expensive but they both "fit" us so we sucked it up and spent the extra $$ . We figure the ones we were looking at in wall mart were almost 200 each so for a little more we got much better bikes!
So, shop around but if you can try the smaller bike shops, just dont be afraid to ask for their best price :D

magicofdisney
08-26-2011, 09:47 PM
I purchased a bike at Target simply because I only needed a bike to ride around the neighborhood with my kids. I've had it for a few years now with no problems. If you're looking for the cheap route, this is definitely the way to go. My only advice is invest in a comfortable seat. I purchased a wider seat, or as I affectionately call it, "a big butt seat", and that has made all the difference in world as far as comfort. I have no complaints and no regrets. :)

garymacd
08-27-2011, 12:10 AM
I decided to buy a bike about 2 years ago. I did all of the research and then went shopping. I went to the 2 bike shops that were near enough to me. One sold the Trek line and the other sold the Giant line. At both places I was able to get a frame the correct size for me and was able to test ride the bikes. I went with the Giant. It was a better fit for me and it had a few extra features the Trek did not have for the same price. Both were a little pricey though. About $500. But I am still happy with my purchase. I usually ride about 14 miles in an hour every other day. I am hot when finished, but not winded.

I also bought a Giant OCR-3 about four years ago and have not had any major trouble with it. I spent a fair amount on it - $1200 - but I use it A LOT! I commute 20 km to work each way at least 3 times a week and go for more rides on my days off.

For me, it was the right choice. The bike is light, fast and comfortable. It is a perfect compromise between the $120 piece of junk (my opinion) at a discount store and the $6000 Cannondale one or two of the guys at work have.

A lot depends on what you want to do. I committed years ago to commuting (in good weather) by bike for my health and for the environment (I'm cheap, too, so saving money on gas is a big bonus), but if all you want to do is go for 3 mile rides with the kids, and have to purchase two of them, I wouldn't spend $1200 each for that.

Check out the bike shops and the different models on the internet before deciding. Giant, for example, has entry level bikes built for lifestyle and comfort. The MSRP for the Giant Simple 3, for example, is around C$460. Prices are probably lower in US. (Just checked. It sells for about US$430)

You get a good quality, retro-style, cross purpose, comfortable three-speed bike that is not going to fall apart and is fitted to you, without all the problems you might get from a cheap department store bike. You also get a relationship with a reputable bike shop that will stand behind their product and guarantee and have the expertise to repair it if something goes wrong.

BraddyB
08-27-2011, 03:15 PM
I have a Gary Fisher and a Specialized mountain bike. I would recommend those to anyone.

I would also steer you in the direction of a bike shop. Make sure you try out multiple bikes to see what the right fit for you. Both of my bikes I ride on are a frame size larger than they fitted me for.

What works for one might not work for another, go with what works for you.

TheVBs
08-31-2011, 07:52 AM
Thank you for all the replies and suggestions! :mickey: After doing some research and giving this lots of thought, I'm thinking I'll go with an inexpensive bike from a chain store to start. Then, if we do use them as often as I hope we will, we'll treat ourselves to better bikes in a year or two.

However, I'm really frustrated because it looks like the whole thing might go on hold. We would need a bike rack. I didn't realize that bike racks could be hundreds of dollars alone, not to mention that we would need a hitch for the rack, potentially hundreds again. I have to pay our property taxes in the next couple weeks, we have a Disney trip coming up and Christmas not long after that. All of which means now is probably not a good time to spend a lot of money on getting us bike riding. :(

BrerGnat
08-31-2011, 09:41 AM
Why do you need a bike rack? We don't have one. We've managed to transport our bikes in our cars when needed (and we don't have large cars either). The good thing about nicer bikes is that the front wheels simply pop off, making the bike WAY smaller and easy to fit in the trunk/cargo area of most cars.

In addition, if you want to go the inexpensive route, there are bike racks that attach to either a standard trunk or hatchback. You can get these for not too much money. However, just be aware that the "chain store" bikes are often much, much heavier (the are made from steel, primarily, rather than aluminum). The heavier the bike, the more sturdy the rack needs to be.

The bike store we purchased our bikes from was about 3 miles away from our house. When we bought the bikes, I simply rode mine home, and then later, I drove DH back to the store, he picked his up and rode it home.

Where do you live? Buying a bike at this time of year might not even make sense since winter will be here before you know it.

On the other hand, if you DID go the bike shop route, this is a perfect time to get in on some sale/clearance pricing on bikes, as the "season" is ending.

Getting into biking is not cheap, but it's a lifetsyle/wellness decision that is worth spending some money on, IMO.

Don't get discouraged by the number of "accessories" out there that make it seem like riding a bike is a huge financial thing. Really, all you need is a bike and a helmet. Everything else is optional.

DisneyDINK
08-31-2011, 10:24 AM
It looks like you've made up your mind and I hope you have some good suggestions here. If you are still taking suggestions, here's my 2 cents:

Try to get a bike with a quick release skewer on the wheels (just Google "quick release" and look at the Wiki). This allows easy removal of the wheels. Most newer bikes have them. With the wheels off you'll probably be able to fit the bikes in a car trunk and thus be able to postpone any expensive rack discussions. Once you've practiced taking the wheels on and off a few times, you'll be golden. Keep a pair of garden gloves handy to take the rear wheels on and off or you'll get a bit dirty sometimes.

The most important thing is to get the right frame size. Again, just poke around the web and look for a chart that tells you what size to get based one your height and inseam. This should give you one or two sizes which will work for you.

Somewhere down the line you might want to take a basic maintenance class. Many bike shops, gyms, tri clubs and bike clubs offer them and usually cheaply. All you really need to know at the beginning is how to fix a flat, clean your bike, lube your chain and adjust your seat and handlebars. It is probably a good time to make a new friend. You must have some friend or neighbor who likes to ride. Get them talking one time and chances are you'll get more information than you need.

If you have a specific question feel free to PM me. :mickey:

TheVBs
09-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Definitely still taking suggestions! :) Good tips about the better bikes being lighter, and popping off the front wheels.

I'm thinking what I'll do is wait until spring to figure this out, when we have lots of good weather months ahead of us. Our good weather here is not going to last much longer, so it seems silly to try to make this work right now, especially with other expenses coming up quickly.

Thank you everyone for your help! I definitely want to make biking a part of our family lifestyle. It's fun and easy and I have no idea what took me so long to do something about it.

emerzmom
09-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Thanks to all of the "go to a bike store" suggestions! I needed a new bike and have been seriously shopping big chain stores (Target, Academy) for a bike. They all seemed okay and I was just waiting for a good sale however after I read this thread I went to a local bike shop and WOW what a difference! There was actually a sales person (non existent at the big chain stores) that was very knowledgable about bikes. He talked to me about how I was planning to ride the bike, what I liked and didn't like about my current bike (an old chain store Schwinn) and then pointed out several bikes that would work for me. I test rode a couple and then I found MY bike. I couldn't believe the difference! It just worked for me. It was a little more $ than I would have paid at a big chain store but not that much more. They even offered a one year free maintenance deal with it. I literally rode it out of the store.
I love it!
Thanks again!
:mickey:
Julie
:bike:

garymacd
09-07-2011, 09:31 PM
I didn't realize that bike racks could be hundreds of dollars alone, not to mention that we would need a hitch for the rack, potentially hundreds again.

Hundreds of dollars for a bike rack?

I bought mine from the bike shop I got my bike from. It cost about $50 and holds two bikes and there was also one that held four bikes.You don't need a trailer hitch or roof racks. This one straps onto the trunk lid. I have even seen it used on a mini-van.

I am sure if you look around you can find one cheaper.

BrerGnat stated that all you need is a bike and a helmet. Sorry. Most jurisdictions also require a bell and reflectors. If you ride at night, you really need front and rear lights.

Also be aware that most provinces and states consider bicycles vehicles and thus must follow the rules of the road. Our local police have started cracking down on people riding bikes on sidewalks, other traffic infractions and using unsafe bikes. I actually went to a call one day where a woman was riding with her children on the sidewalk (riding against the flow of traffic). One child was hit by a car turning from a side street. The child only suffered a broken leg, but mom was so upset and completely surprised that the police would not charge the car driver.

BrerGnat
09-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Hundreds of dollars for a bike rack?

I bought mine from the bike shop I got my bike from. It cost about $50 and holds two bikes and there was also one that held four bikes.You don't need a trailer hitch or roof racks. This one straps onto the trunk lid. I have even seen it used on a mini-van.

I am sure if you look around you can find one cheaper.

BrerGnat stated that all you need is a bike and a helmet. Sorry. Most jurisdictions also require a bell and reflectors. If you ride at night, you really need front and rear lights.

Also be aware that most provinces and states consider bicycles vehicles and thus must follow the rules of the road. Our local police have started cracking down on people riding bikes on sidewalks, other traffic infractions and using unsafe bikes. I actually went to a call one day where a woman was riding with her children on the sidewalk (riding against the flow of traffic). One child was hit by a car turning from a side street. The child only suffered a broken leg, but mom was so upset and completely surprised that the police would not charge the car driver.

Well, most bikes sold in the U.S. come with reflectors, down to little 12" bikes for toddlers. It think it's safe to say that it's standard equipment. Bells are optional here in the U.S. Really, they are "recommended" for trail riding, but not required. My Trek road bike came equipped with a bell, but my DH's (a mountain bike) did not, so he bought one.

Also, the rules of the U.S. in regards to bikes on the road are very different, it seems, from Canada. Here, if there is NOT a dedicated bike lane on the road, bikes are permitted to ride on the sidewalk. Some areas have paved bike trails that run alongside the road and are separated from the road by a strip of grass. If those exist, bikes MUST use them, not the road.

In addition, each city/county has different rules regarding how a bike should use the road. In some places, bikes are not permitted into left turn lanes, for example. They must cross using crosswalks, like a pedestrian would. In other areas, bikes are required to act like vehicles, and follow all the same rules.

Just worth mentioning that every area has different rules, and it is worth knowing what the rules in your area are, because you can be ticketed if you break them.

Some cities/towns require you to register your bike and obtain a license, and some don't. Just depends.

And truthfully, helmets are "optional equipment" in many, many areas, even for children. This drives me insane! You should never get on a bike without a helmet. Period.

brownie
09-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Bells are optional here in the U.S.

Depends on the state. A sounding device is required on bikes in Michigan, although it's not required to be on the bike for it to be sold. Additionally, if you will be riding between dusk and dawn, you are supposed to have a white light on the front of the bike and a red reflector on the rear of the bike.

Also, the rules of the U.S. in regards to bikes on the road are very different, it seems, from Canada. Here, if there is NOT a dedicated bike lane on the road, bikes are permitted to ride on the sidewalk.

This is up to individual states. Michigan does not require cyclists to use dedicated bike lanes. Cyclists can use sidewalks, although it's more dangerous to do so, unless there is an official traffic control device (sign) prohibiting it.

TheVBs
09-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Thanks for all the additional info and comments!

We would need a bike rack to hold 4 bikes, and while DH did look into roof and bumper mounted racks, he prefers we go with a hitch mount because the others have scratched up the cars of co-workers. It would be great to manage the hitch and rack at a reasonable price!

When we look into this again in the spring, I will definitely visit the bike shop. Definitely we will all have helmets! I didn't think of the bells, so glad you guys mentioned it. I'll make sure we all have one.

Initially we'll just be riding trails. We live in a small town, but it has a very busy main st. We have lots of people biking around town, which is great, but for the time being we'll avoid it.