PDA

View Full Version : DHS: The Untapped Potential

darthmacho
08-26-2011, 03:01 PM
Disney owns, or at least has huge investments and partnerships with several HUGE franchises that if they cashed in, could transform DHS into the greatest movie theme park ever imagined, and would put it on par with MK. Instead, they let parts of it languish in irrelevancy, such as Sounds Dangerous, Backlot Tour, and other dead parts of their former "working studio."

They could expand on Pixar Place by adding attractions from their other great Pixar movies, Monsters Inc., Up, etc.

They could make entire lands based on Star Wars (Lucasfilm), Muppets, and Marvel Comics.

So, when Fantasyland is done, is there any chance that any of these things will happen? If not, then why the heck not?!?!

Such untapped potential, don't you think?

:beat: <- Not dead yet? Is it?

TheVBs
08-26-2011, 03:13 PM
It would be fantastic if they added even some of those things!

Ian
08-26-2011, 03:34 PM
I don't know what the heck is holding up that Monsters, Inc. coaster that was supposedly greenlit for Pixar Place like a year ago.

DHS along with AK are half-day parks for us. There just isn't enough there.

BrerGnat
08-26-2011, 03:46 PM
There has been some chatter between George Lucas and Disney about having a "Star Wars Land" in one of the parks. Lucas, apparently, would LOVE to do it. So, I guess we'll see. DHS would be a perfect location for it, I think.

I totally agree. That park is largely irrelevant to us. In fact, on our first family trip, we didn't even go there with our kids. Just no reason to do so.

It's sad, because when it first opened, it was a pretty exciting place to visit. They could do so much more with it!

GrumpyFan
08-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Indeed, there are several movies and characters whose potential they could have tapped by now for the parks. Although, I'm a bit torn. I think the imagineers do their best work when they create new stories and characters of their own. In fact, look at the current trend in movies where the studio division is copying the park rides that have endured. I can't wait until the Small World movie makes the big screen. Just think, two hours of THAT song, and, the DOLLS!!!! :thedolls:

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-26-2011, 04:26 PM
I agree, we are actually scheduling in some shopping and people watching time for our DHS day to fill time until Fantasmic:shop:

iceicebritney
08-26-2011, 05:45 PM
I think there are lots of areas with huge potential throughout WDW that haven't been realized. It's sad:( I would love a monsters Inc coaster or a lucas land. I think a Lucas land would rival WWHP.

Kairi_7378
08-26-2011, 07:07 PM
I agree Darth, and this makes me sad. I thnk that DHS is one of the prettiest parks at WDW. My DH especially loves the classic 1930s and 1940s architecture. But there isn't a lot in this park and they really don't seem to know what to do with it! There is a page or so in the Imagineers' Guide to Disney's Hollywood Studios that discusses the "shifting focus" of the park. But I kind of read through the lines that there is a lack of focus for DHS.

Mousemates
08-26-2011, 09:23 PM
I agree Darth, and this makes me sad. I thnk that DHS is one of the prettiest parks at WDW. ....There is a page or so in the Imagineers' Guide to Disney's Hollywood Studios that discusses the "shifting focus" of the park. But I kind of read through the lines that there is a lack of focus for DHS.

I agree with your first thought whole heartedly, in fact it is my favorite park from a purely visual perspective.

As for your second thought I think your likely spot on there as well...they just can't seem to, as the OP stated, get past the whole original "we are a working studio thing." They need to let it go (it feels so old and dated that we don't even walk back there anymore) and more fully embrace what Disney has added since the park's founding.

crltkcagle
08-28-2011, 10:17 PM
I don't know what the heck is holding up that Monsters, Inc. coaster that was supposedly greenlit for Pixar Place like a year ago.

DHS along with AK are half-day parks for us. There just isn't enough there.

I agree!!

Pop Centurion
08-29-2011, 05:01 PM
I agree. So much can be done with Star Wars, Pixar, Muppets, & even classic Disney animation as well as retro Hollywood. For as long as I can remember, fans have wished for a villain themed area or restaurant which I believe would be a big hit.
Only thing I would disagree with is Marvel. While I'm a fan of Marvel, I don't think it belongs just as Power Rangers didn't belong.

sixshot19
08-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Only thing I would disagree with is Marvel. While I'm a fan of Marvel, I don't think it belongs just as Power Rangers didn't belong.

Totally agree, and this is coming from a huge Marvel Comic geek. So much other Pixar stuff they need to do before they touch the Marvel Licenses.

buzznwoodysmom
08-30-2011, 09:57 AM
I think a Lucas land would rival WWHP.

You know, my husband has said several times that Harry Potter is to our kids what Star Wars was to our generation growing up. The fact that there are so many adult Star Wars fans, plus tons of children who have come to love the series as well, I think a Star Wars/Lucas land would be a huge success if done right.

mommad
08-30-2011, 10:04 AM
A Star Wars/Lucas area would be great to me as well. They'd be able to easily add in the Indy coaster plus I would love to see and updated stunt show as well. Now for Star Wars that to me seems like a pretty open area with lots of opportunity to add to with there being things from the original movies all the way up to the clone wars series. Really though the main hope here is that they just simply do something with the parks rather than just to continue to let them sit there and become stagnant.

princessgirls
08-30-2011, 10:40 AM
DHS needs an overhaul!!!

They could do a lot more with the Star Wars area.

The girls didn't even know who most of the muppets were..that needs to go!

The backlot studio tour needs something.

We did end up there twice during our time this trip. Mainly for the RNR and TOT, and we were lucky to get two rounds of Toy Story.

Still...with all of it's shortfalls, people were pouring in to this park last week.
Julie:mickey:

diz_girl
08-30-2011, 01:02 PM
I agree that it used to be a whole day park. Although it's still probably a whole day park to someone who's never been there. I was there about a month after the park opened and it was actually a whole day park then. That's because there were only four attractions open, but there were so many people (it was early June '89 right around the Tianamen Square massacre) there that it took the whole day just to see those four attractions because you were waiting in line so long. I think that it was a 2-hour wait for the Backlot Tour.

You know, I just realized that I've never seen the Indy stunt Spectacular. It was such a long wait for it that I never got to see it. Now I just don't bother to try. I'll try this trip. You know something, we probably will be able to spend the whole day there this trip. I'm gonna try.

Buttercup
08-30-2011, 10:48 PM
You know what else I think would be great? An area (perhaps rip out the backlot tour, since it's not even a real backlot anymore) where they routinely change out props that have been used in movies.
Yes, I know they have similar areas to this already - but I'd like it so you can stand next to a prop from a movie (like say, a snow speeder, or Walt's plane) and get your picture taken (not just as you're driving by). And let's face it, some of those props are old and outdated now - Dick Tracy props?!?! Honey I Shrunk the Kids?!?! Pearl Harbor??? I mean come on... those are kind-of terrible...
So I'd like some kind-of neat area where they have stuff on loan from other studios that changes out from time to time - like maybe some actual Lord of the Rings props, or Grease, or Mary Poppins or even like the Ark from Indiana Jones... wouldn't that be cool?! To see stuff from classic movies (and some newer ones too) that you aren't just driving past, but you can sit and stare at for a moment at your leisure?
And yeah, I know they have a small area with costumes already, but I'm talking about on a grandeur scale - like a museum quality exhibit - think "Smithsonian" of Hollywood props. Disney could be "known" for it - as the "go to" place to see incredible rare props from movies. Amazing!
How easy would that be! Not terribly hard to maintain, it would be a curiosity of what neat props would be in there each time you visit... I think it would be a great and very simple idea!

GBBT
08-31-2011, 01:04 AM
NOOOOOO!:noway: We shouldn't have the Ark there.:scared: Didn't you SEE what happened when they opened it? LOL

McLiberal8
08-31-2011, 01:19 AM

Don't take away my muppets! For real though, the new Muppets movie has the potential to open up the Muppets to a whole new generation. I would love if they expanded on Jim Henson stuff, as his work has a place at WDW, IMHO.

sixshot19
08-31-2011, 01:27 AM
DHS needs an overhaul!!!

:

Disney has a new muppet movie coming out soon, so maybe a refurb or some new meet and greats.

TheVBs
08-31-2011, 07:40 AM
A Star Wars land would be fabulous! DH only recently learned about the Star Wars weekends, and his reaction was, "I wanna do that!" I thought, why don't they do that more often instead of just once a year - but a dedicated land would be even better!

I love the idea of rotating movie props on display as well. It would probably be the only opportunity we would have to see something like that.

Ms. Mode
08-31-2011, 09:42 AM
When we were on the Backstage Tour in January they spoke about how they are in discussions about how to best use the buildings in HS that are currently storage or empty. Baby steps, I guess. :mickey:

PirateLover
09-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Being a HUGE Muppets fan, I can speak to that a little bit. Originally, when Jim Henson was in talks with Disney about buying the Muppets in the late 80s/early 90s, the plan WAS to have multiple Muppet attractions.

There was a Muppet Stage show called "Here Come the Muppets" where Voyage of the Little Mermaid is now. It had kind of awkward life sized Muppet characters. You can YouTube it.

Muppet*Vision 3D was the last project Jim Henson worked on before he passed away.

There had also been a humors Muppet spoof of the Great Movie Ride planned, but after Henson's death, Disney significantly lowered their offer and the Henson children declined and the ride was scrapped.

I really hope the new movie is a hit, and that a new generation of Muppets fans are born and that Disney does more with the franchise. The Muppets are great family entertainment. By the way, Whatever happened to Muppet Mobile Labs?

darthmacho
09-02-2011, 01:06 PM
There had also been a humors Muppet spoof of the Great Movie Ride planned, but after Henson's death, Disney significantly lowered their offer and the Henson children declined and the ride was scrapped.

Too bad. That sounds like it would be pretty good! :beaker: - meep!

SpecJoe Magic
09-07-2011, 08:56 AM
I think there are lots of areas with huge potential throughout WDW that haven't been realized. It's sad:( I would love a monsters Inc coaster or a lucas land. I think a Lucas land would rival WWHP.

Bingo! I think that's the big answer to Universal's Harry Potter area. Star Wars is probably the only property in existence that can rival Harry Potter in the amount of passionate fans. What I don't understand is why Disney doesn't take full advantage of such a huge property. Star Wars weekends is extremely popular. Just imagine the fan response to an entire Star Wars area. I bet there are a lot of people out there who aren't fans of Disney but who are fans of Star Wars that would flock in droves to the place. Plus, Indiana Jones is no slouch either when it comes to popularity, so they could have more of the park devoted to that, too.

I really think Hollywood Studios needs to go the Magic Kingdom route with distinct lands. As someone mentioned earlier, it's time to let go of the "real working studio" idea. There could be Lucas Land, Muppets Land, and Pixar Place to go along with Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard. Think about the possibilities! It would get me excited about the park again.

Ian
09-07-2011, 09:46 AM
I don't want to throw a wet blanket on all the Star Wars talk, but Disney doesn't have any kind of full-blown licensing agreement with Lucas or anything. It's not like Disney "owns" those characters and can use them in attractions at their discretion.

They have two very specific contracts in place with Lucas for Star Tours and SWW and that, as far as I know, is it.

I'm sure there would be tremendous costs associated with trying to blow out the use of the SW characters in the parks and I doubt Disney would take on that expense when they have so many of their own classic characters that are underexploited.

I mean, I love SW as much as anyone ... heck I'm a child of the 70's! ... but even I'd rather see a Carsland added to DHS before they go external to a SW or Indy-themed land.

BrerGnat
09-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Ian, I think you underestimate George Lucas' involvement with Disney and, to some extent, Pixar. George Lucas was the founder of ILM, which, in its early days, was the same core group of people who went on to create Pixar. These guys go WAY back. In addition, George Lucas was responsible for Alien Encounter, and has a very real passion for the Disney theme parks. Now that Disney owns Pixar, I'm willing to bet that we'll be seeing a lot more of George Lucas/Disney collaborating, since all those guys are "buddies".

George Lucas will likely never sign off licensing rights to the Star Wars Universe to Disney, but on the same token, J.K. Rowling didn't sign off rights to the entire Harry Potter universe to Universal either. They only get the rights to make theme park experiences based on the FILMS. Disney could, probably quite easily, do something similar. And, I hope they do. It will mean I get to go to WDW more often, since DH is a huge SW fan. :D

darthmacho
09-07-2011, 02:54 PM
I don't want to throw a wet blanket on all the Star Wars talk, but Disney doesn't have any kind of full-blown licensing agreement with Lucas or anything. It's not like Disney "owns" those characters and can use them in attractions at their discretion.

They have two very specific contracts in place with Lucas for Star Tours and SWW and that, as far as I know, is it.

I'm sure there would be tremendous costs associated with trying to blow out the use of the SW characters in the parks and I doubt Disney would take on that expense when they have so many of their own classic characters that are underexploited.

I mean, I love SW as much as anyone ... heck I'm a child of the 70's! ... but even I'd rather see a Carsland added to DHS before they go external to a SW or Indy-themed land.

I'm also thinking it's a long shot that we'll ever see more Star Wars than what we have at DHS, and that money is probably a huge factor as always. Imagine an entire area that is themed to Star Wars? Shoot, they could do a whole park, with lands themed to different planets! It would make Harry Potter's World look like a wretched hive of scum and villainy. Lucas should make a move on this though, because he's no spring chicken any more.

Just don't go into the Admiral Ackbar meet and greet -- it's a trap!

As for "Carsland", my God, couldn't they come up with a better name than that? Why not just call the area "Radiator Springs"? At least call it "Cars Country" or "Cars Universe". Anything, really.

DisneyKim22
09-07-2011, 10:02 PM
I really, REALLY want the Studios to be a full day park again. It's only a full day now if you don't have a fast-pass for TSM and you get there an hour after park opening. :D The Studios had been my favorite park for a long time.

I know there are several areas that are not in use, or could be completely changed, but how much vacant land is available in the Studios area? Do they have room to expand for bigger and better additions? Just curious.

I also hope they expand the Muppets presence. But at the very least - PLEASE give me (us) some decent Muppet merchandise. I'm more than willing to spend some money there. I'm also not a big fan of slapping together more meet and greets - but I think a Muppety Meet and Greet is needed. :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
09-08-2011, 09:46 AM
More Muppets? Eh, I don't know about that. Talk about limited audience appeal. How many kids today even know about the Muppets? I know they are putting out another movie, but I don't know how successful that will be.

I guess I just never really got into the Muppets. Puppets in general disturb me. ;)

Mogie
09-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Star Wars Land would be amazing. There is just so much that could be done! And what a way to compete with Wizarding World of Harry Potter. You could model it after Mos Eisley on Tatooine, or Coruscant, maybe even have an area that looks like Hoth. Think of the rides! A roller coaster for the death Star Battle that loops you around in an X-Wing shaped car with model Tie Fighters shooting at you, or Animated ones on screens...seeing the milenium falcon roar past you...you loop around and around and then drops you down into an actual Death Star trench and the ride finishes with you blasting the Exhaust port pulling up and around for one more loop in space, and land back at the base...just gave myself chills. Just think of the character meet and greets..a Star Wars HOTEL! omg omg omg

SpecJoe Magic
09-09-2011, 05:55 AM
I know there are several areas that are not in use, or could be completely changed, but how much vacant land is available in the Studios area? Do they have room to expand for bigger and better additions? Just curious.

Unfortunately, there is virtually no vacant land around the park. There is a little real estate to the north, but they would have to relocate a backstage area in order to use that. That being said, they could use the area that is now occupied by the Backstage Studio Tour for something else. After all, it's not like it's a real working studio anymore, and the attraction is very lackluster these days, as it doesn't have nearly as much as it used to have since they shortened it and put in the Lights, Motors, Action! stadium. I really think the only realistic hope for Hollywood Studios is to modify what is already there because I don't think an expansion will ever happen.

BrerGnat
09-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Unfortunately, there is virtually no vacant land around the park. There is a little real estate to the north, but they would have to relocate a backstage area in order to use that. That being said, they could use the area that is now occupied by the Backstage Studio Tour for something else. After all, it's not like it's a real working studio anymore, and the attraction is very lackluster these days, as it doesn't have nearly as much as it used to have since they shortened it and put in the Lights, Motors, Action! stadium. I really think the only realistic hope for Hollywood Studios is to modify what is already there because I don't think an expansion will ever happen.

Um, I'd be totally okay with them bulldozing the entire Backlot Tour AND LMA Stadium. Total waste of space, in my opinion.

You'd be surprised with how much can be built in an area that looks like it has "no available space." A good example of this is the Carsland addition at DCA. That land is HUGE, but prior to its construction, all that it was was a "small" auxillary parking lot for overflow. Since DCA and DL park are literally bordered by city roads, they had to build on the land they had, and they have done a good job of expanding within those boundaries. And, they didn't even use the whole parking lot!

The entire southwestern quadrant of DHS can be redone. In addition, there is a lot of available land around the parking lots that could be developed as an addition to the park (they could use one of the current parking lots for an add on, and add another parking lot further out). Remember, DCA was built in what used to be DL's parking lot. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Ian
09-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Yeah, I have no clue how popular LMA is but I've seen it once and once was enough for me. The Backlot Tour seems a little silly now that it's not a working studio. We hardly ever bother with it.

That being said, both could be wildly popular for all I know. If they aren't, then most defintely they should be torn down and replaced. But LMA isn't that old ... I think it was built in like '05 or '06 (remember it was a "gift" from Disneyland for their 50th birthday), so I highly doubt they're going to tear it down any time in the near future.

Backlot Tour maybe.

SpecJoe Magic
09-12-2011, 05:50 AM
Um, I'd be totally okay with them bulldozing the entire Backlot Tour AND LMA Stadium. Total waste of space, in my opinion.

You'd be surprised with how much can be built in an area that looks like it has "no available space." A good example of this is the Carsland addition at DCA. That land is HUGE, but prior to its construction, all that it was was a "small" auxillary parking lot for overflow. Since DCA and DL park are literally bordered by city roads, they had to build on the land they had, and they have done a good job of expanding within those boundaries. And, they didn't even use the whole parking lot!

The entire southwestern quadrant of DHS can be redone. In addition, there is a lot of available land around the parking lots that could be developed as an addition to the park (they could use one of the current parking lots for an add on, and add another parking lot further out). Remember, DCA was built in what used to be DL's parking lot. Where there is a will, there is a way.

You make a good point. I really wasn't thinking about it like that. While I agree that it would be nice for them to do all of that, I doubt that they will ever have the motivation to do so, but I would love to be proven wrong. LMA in particular is a problem because...

I think it was built in like '05 or '06 (remember it was a "gift" from Disneyland for their 50th birthday)

Yeah, '05 is right. It simply isn't very old, and I imagine that they spent a great deal of money on it. Plus, there always seems to be a lot of people there, but part of that may be because there aren't many shows a day.

And while we are on the subject, I never did understand that whole "It's Disneyland's birthday, so let's celebrate by having WDW receive several new attractions from various parks" thing. It was backwards and made no sense.

Stu29573
09-12-2011, 07:09 AM
I saw LMA once and....meh. I really thought I would like it, but it was slow paced, too long, and had very little "wow factor" for me.

Yep, bulldoze it!:thumbsup:

BrerGnat
09-12-2011, 09:17 AM
... it was slow paced, too long, and had very little "wow factor" for me.

Yep, bulldoze it!:thumbsup:

Yep, that's my opinion of it too. I found the "action" scenes to be enjoyable to watch, but really, no one wants to hear the lectures about how it's done in between all that. I mean, some explanation is fine, but they just drone on and on and on. I wonder how they expect little kids to stay engaged with that. I know my son would love the action sequences, but he has very little patience for sitting through long explanations.

Ian
09-12-2011, 09:24 AM
And while we are on the subject, I never did understand that whole "It's Disneyland's birthday, so let's celebrate by having WDW receive several new attractions from various parks" thing. It was backwards and made no sense.Yeah, I never got it either and thought it was silly. Seemed like a marketing fail, to me.

I saw LMA once and....meh. I really thought I would like it, but it was slow paced, too long, and had very little "wow factor" for me.

Yep, bulldoze it!:thumbsup:Agree. I saw it once and that was it. It was a cool show, but the whole limited schedule, waiting so long to get in, being jammed in like cattle, and then being caught up in the herd on the way out just didn't work for me. Not my thing being treated like I'm on an NYC subway when I'm on vacation.

Stu29573
09-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Yep, that's my opinion of it too. I found the "action" scenes to be enjoyable to watch, but really, no one wants to hear the lectures about how it's done in between all that. I mean, some explanation is fine, but they just drone on and on and on. I wonder how they expect little kids to stay engaged with that. I know my son would love the action sequences, but he has very little patience for sitting through long explanations.

I think the long boring parts are there so they can set up the action sequences off stage. However, knowing that doesn't make it any easier to sit through. I think about the other "how they do it" shows at DHS (Indy, backlot) and they do a much better job at pacing things. Even after seeing Indy a jillion times, I find it much more enjoyable. The huge amount of real eatate taken up by the stadium just seems to add insult to injury. It's pretty bad when I would prefer an outdated "residential street" to what is there now....

Still, I guess some people like it. However, in my opinion, WDW should have taken this "gift' back for a refund.

ValenciaCalling
09-15-2011, 11:10 AM

I totally agree! The park has lacked cohesiveness for years, and a lot of that has to do with the fact that it's laid out like one huge spiderweb.

One of Walt Disney's favorite mantras was "no contradictions", and yet the float for Disney Channel Rocks comes blasting down Hollywood Boulevard, completely breaking the aestetic.
It doesn't make any sense.

After working in the Backlands (which is basically everything that isn't Hollywood, Sunset, Animation Courtyard and Pixar Place), I can tell you that I completely understand guests' frustration with that part of the park. There literally is nothing there. Pixar Place should include more than just TSMM, and the ever-so-awkwardly placed Narnia/Prince Caspian pavilion. I'm dying to know what they are doing with the empty soundstage between the Backlot Tour and Pixar Place. Does anyone know anything?

JPL
09-15-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm dying to know what they are doing with the empty soundstage between the Backlot Tour and Pixar Place. Does anyone know anything?

This space as far as I know as been set aside for the Monsters Inc Roller Coaster that has been rumoured from time to time.

ValenciaCalling
09-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Awesome! I was hoping it was.