PDA

View Full Version : hurricane and WDW ??'s

kevinsmom29
08-23-2011, 10:50 PM
im leaving for POFQ in the morning... watching the weather i am freaking out... in the event that irene passes thru orlando, what precautions does disney take? i know the parks close, but what if we are stuck in the room, cant get food from the food court ?? any tips? then i leave on the disney dream on sunday... keeping my fingers crossed with the weather....:thumbsup:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
08-23-2011, 11:00 PM
There is another post here on Intercot that explains it. But they have plans. And if you look at the national hurricane center website, I don't think Orlando will get much more than a little wind and rain. It keeps getting pushed further east. Right now, it is slated to go right up through the NC coast line (where I live).

Strmchsr
08-24-2011, 07:38 AM
Check the weather thread in vacation planning for all updates on Irene, which won't be an issue for WDW.

wendybird
08-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Was there during one in 2004. We were warned way ahead of time of early park closures and to be in our resort rooms by 8:00 p.m. Told to take food and snacks in with us, as we would not be able to access food court (we were at POFQ). Ate dinner at WL, then backto the room to hunker down. Never lost power and staff constantly providing updates via phone messages. Next morning hung out in room and waited it out. We snuck out a little and wandered - resort was a mess, but no tike was wasted in getting in cleaned up. Food court opened up in late afternoon to grab what we needeed. Everything was back to normal and up and running the following day (except water parks remained closed for clean-up). We are from California so it was pretty cool for us to experience. Disney did an A+ job keping us safe, confortable and informed. Our trip was only interrupted for about one day. :thumbsup:

mydisneygirls
08-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Irene has already passed Florida but check with your airline. I just saw on the weather channel that NY airport will be closed for incoming flights at 12 noon but didn't mention outgoing flights. The Disney site itself has info on hurricane policy.

Disney5+2
09-09-2011, 11:13 PM
We also were at wdw during hurricane Charley in August 2004. We were staying at POR and the campground guests had been evacuated to POR.The resort was very crowded as a result and the food court was not equipped to handle the crowds. We ate snacks from the vending machines for dinner after standing in line for 1 1/2 hrs. Not a good experience, but hopefully they have learned since then. The parks were only closed for a short time and Disney did a great job with the cleanup. We never lost electricity which was a relief considering the heat. Hasn't stopped us from returning several times since then!

IfUHadWings
09-13-2011, 11:51 AM
We were there during a hurricane. Disney was great in handeling the situation. The day of the storm arrival, the parks were open until 1pm to on-site guests only. The hotel resturant stayed open to serev, however I did have to wait almost 2 hours to get hotdogs. Disney also gave everyone a free park day credit, which we used 2 years later! Very nice...also, the storm was light and everyone was safe!:mickey: