PDA

View Full Version : August Trip 2011

Ms. Mode
08-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Just back from our first August trip in 3 years and boy was it HOT...and crowded! We thought that with most schools (even in FL) having started the week before the parks would be less crowded...we were wrong. We actually saw a local news station on Tuesday (16th) that said more children would be reporting to school "today"...I would never have miss the first days of school...it was the second week and there after I wanted to miss. :)

Anyway, we stayed at WL and it was everything we hoped for and more.

We had great weather for most part...Thursday evening and night were a wash out....literally!

The two dinner ADRs that we were most worried about turned out to be the best meals we had (The Wave and Coral Reef) and Mama Melrose will never see us again!
Pin traders were everywhere, even the CMs were talking about the huge number of trades that were happening.

All in all it was a great trip, and so we scheduled the next one for January when we got home. Unfortunately there is no bounce back for the week we have to travel. And for everyone wanting bounce back info. here it is: the bounce back offer is good only until the end of 2011, the free dining offers that you see posted here on Intercot until March is the only other option. If you want a date in between that doesn't have an offer posted already you get nothing. Sorry, your in my boat!

MM

faline
08-23-2011, 12:28 PM
So why won't you return to Mama Melrose's?

We've had mixed experiences with both The Wave and Coral Reef. Glad they worked out well for you!

DisneyBarb
08-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Glad you had a nice trip, we will not go back to Mama Melrose either.. I have a few friends in Florida (Orlando area) and they started yesterday (22nd), much later then a few years ago that may explain some of the crowds...

Christine
08-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Osceola & Orange counties did not go back to school til yesterday 8/22. But new York & many other states don't go back til after labor day, so they coulda been part of the crowds. I think it's really funny that ppl relate crowds to locals. :D

Anyhoo- sorry you disliked mama melrose. It's one of our favorites!
Enjoy planning for January!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the report. We decided last minute to change our Fantasmic Package from Mama's to Hollywood Brown Derby. What was wrong with Mama's?

AgentC
08-23-2011, 01:35 PM
My part of Florida (Hernando, Pasco, Pinellas and Hillsborough) went back to school on 8/22 and 8/23. Seasonal passes also came out of black out this weekend. I have some friends who went over the weekend as a treat before school starts.

Still sounds like you had a great trip! I love WL. What didn't you like about Mama Melrose? I have never eaten there and was considering it for my next trip.

Thanks for the report.

Ms. Mode
08-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Well, please understand that I love everything WDW so it's very hard to complain about a restaurant that I've enjoyed previously, but Mama Melrose wins the prise.

1. There was a very pleasant gentleman working the door..the lobby was packed like sardines. We arrived 15 minutes before our ADR and waited 45 for a table. People were arriving that had missed their time and they were moving them ahead of everyone else.

2. Our waitress was never around, anywhere! It took better than an hour from the time we placed the order for the food to come. Then we had to wait even longer for her to take care of the bill, over 2 hours later we were out the door.

3. The menu has changed (which you expect) but the food was NOT what it used to be, and was NOT what we have come to expect from a WDW eatery. There are three of us, we all had different plates..on each the food was just "ok".

4. Alright, so the entree was just "so so" dessert will save the day...NOT! AAAHHHH, who can ruin dessert? Mama's can...we always pass them around; the best thing there was the Lemon Pound Cake (no sugar added) with fruit topping. The rest just stunk! (Sorry, but it did)

We all agreed that we would have to give Mama's a miss until drastic changes are made. I would strongly suggest Tony's, Tutto or Via Napli if you're in the mood for Italian!

vizsla
08-29-2011, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the report.

nfrustaci
08-29-2011, 02:57 PM
i have eaten at all the italian rest. maybe it is because i am from nyc but i didn't like any of them. i thought the tomatoe sauce tasted more like jared ragu. My husband is italian so my mother in law gave me her receipe for meatballs and sauce and that is the only one that taste exceptional to me. i have eaten italian all over florida and i just don't like it. that includes the pizza. i guess it is just what u get used to. i just stay away from italian and chinese food while i am in any part of florida.

DisneyMom12
08-29-2011, 04:58 PM
i have eaten at all the italian rest. maybe it is because i am from nyc but i didn't like any of them. i thought the tomatoe sauce tasted more like jared ragu. My husband is italian so my mother in law gave me her receipe for meatballs and sauce and that is the only one that taste exceptional to me. i have eaten italian all over florida and i just don't like it. that includes the pizza. i guess it is just what u get used to. i just stay away from italian and chinese food while i am in any part of florida.

It so is a NY thing. My DS4 kept saying the bagels taste funny.

January-2007
09-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks for sharing.