PDA

View Full Version : Dream and Irene?

DisneyFr33k
08-23-2011, 04:58 AM
What will the Dream do this week with Irene hitting the Bahamas? Do they cancel the cruise or sail elsewhere?

exvagirl
08-23-2011, 11:30 AM
I know when we sailed on the magic a few years ago, a hurricane was going through the gulf, and our cruise was originally to the west carribbean (where the hurricane was headed). The cruise ended up being redirected to the east carribbean itinerary (although we didn't know this would happen until we got to the port).

kevinsmom29
08-23-2011, 10:51 PM
i leave on the dream on sunday... hoping i get lucky with missing irene...

Tink1
08-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Latest Updates

Hurricane Irene Update
Tuesday, Aug. 23 - 5 p.m. EDT

Disney Cruise Line
The safety of our Guests and Crew is our first priority at Disney Cruise Line® and we are monitoring Hurricane Irene very closely.
At this time, we anticipate that the current voyage of the Disney Dream will return to Port Canaveral as scheduled on Thursday, Aug. 25, 2011, with the following voyage departing as planned.

Walt Disney World Resort
The Walt Disney World® Resort is operating under normal conditions as we continue to monitor the progress and path of Hurricane Irene. Based on the storm’s current path, forecasters predict little to no impact to us beyond rain and windy conditions late Thursday and into Friday morning.

Ed
08-24-2011, 08:37 AM
At about 8am today, Irene was upgraded to a Category 3 hurricane, meaning sustained winds of up to 115 mph. The storm is expected to pass over the Bahamas early Thursday morning before continuing its northerly track.

I'll be monitoring reports and will advise of any reported damage in Nassau and/or Castaway Cay.

Ed
08-25-2011, 10:52 AM
I've learned that Dream will be departing Port Canaveral at either 3pm or 4pm today instead of the normal 5pm. Disturbingly, DCL has posted nothing about the changes to departure time or itinerary on their website or Facebook page. :shrug:

No word yet on damage at CC; judging from news sources, Nassau got clobbered - lots of damage. :(

LorrieP
08-25-2011, 05:45 PM
I was wondering about CC. I was just watching the news and they said Nassau had no flooding. Downed trees, power lines, and lots of waves!!

We will be visiting with Irene on Sunday!!

Ed
08-26-2011, 12:24 AM
Dream ended up departing Port Canaveral at her normal time of 5pm today. At this writing, she is headed south just off the coast of Boca Raton, much closer to shore than normal, and still showing a destination of Nassau, due to arrive at about 10am Friday morning.

Still no word on how CC fared... :(

waymickey
08-26-2011, 09:52 AM
I read today online that the straw market in Nassau was damaged badly.

DisneyFr33k
08-26-2011, 03:47 PM
What would happen if they were to dock in Nassau while a hurricane was there? Would they divert elsewhere or cancel the cruise as it is so short? I've read that on 7 day cruises they will divert to other locations away from the storm, but there is time. What about 3,4 or 5 night cruises to a single location?

Mousemates
08-26-2011, 10:50 PM
any word yet on castaway cay?

Tink1
08-27-2011, 01:14 AM
From USA Today:

"The Disney Cruise Line has also rerouted one ship, allowing time to inspect facilities at Castaway Cay, its private island. Disney Dream, which was scheduled to visit Castaway Cay on Saturday, will instead spend a second day in Nassau."

waymickey
08-27-2011, 10:10 AM
I would be so upset if that happened on my cruise . I look forward to Castaway Cay the most.

ElenitaB
08-27-2011, 01:39 PM
I would be so upset if that happened on my cruise . I look forward to Castaway Cay the most.
That's the risk one takes when cruising during Hurricane Season. :(

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-28-2011, 10:16 AM
I would be sad too, Castaway Cay was awesome, but we cruised at this time last year, and knew there was a chance we'd have to work around a storm.

I'm sure they have some extra events planned on the ship, so there is still lots to do, and lots of fun.

Tink1
08-28-2011, 03:41 PM
That's the risk one takes when cruising during Hurricane Season. :(

Actually, they miss docking more due to wind than hurricanes. Some of the non-hurricane months can get VERY windy.

Nanc

Ed
08-29-2011, 12:44 AM
Although there's no OFFICIAL word yet, I've read on a few other boards that CC sustained quite a bit of damage, but I prefer to takew that with a grain of salt until DCL releases some official word.

I'm praying the damage isn't too significant; we're on the DVC cruise on 9/18 that's schedule to make two stops at CC. :(

Tink1
08-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Ed, Melissa is sailing right now on the 4 nighter. She has not checked in with us yet, but as soon as she does I will let you know the status of Castaway.

DCL has not told us anything yet.

Nanc

Ed
08-29-2011, 09:54 PM
Thanks, Nanc! I've read so much conflicting info by browsing various cruise-related sites that my head is spinning. :dizzy: Everything from CC being totally flattened to just minor wind damage.

Which again reinforces my belief that DCL is doing their customers a big disservice by not releasing ANY information - - good or bad - - about how the island fared. :mad:

Ed
08-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Well, doing a little more browsing, I found an article in USA Today (http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/08/hurricane-irene-damage-half-moon-great-stirrup-castaway-cay-cococay/417124/1)that states the following:

The storm also closed Disney Cruise Line's Castaway Cay, but damage was minimal. Dream will change its itinerary, rescheduling a Tuesday stop until Wednesday, giving crews an extra day to freshen up the popular call.

Here's hopes the information is accurate... :shrug:

Tink1
08-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Just came to post about the same info Ed. Heard from DCL that they plan on a docking attempt this sailing. Will be the captains call though.

Definitely docking next sailing.

Nanc