PDA

View Full Version : Staying at POFQ Dec17-Dec22 any experience with this time frame?

DisneyNut6777
08-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Hey all. DW and I, along with DML and bil are arriving early Dec 17th in the A.M. We will be staying at POFQ. We are thrilled to finally be able to visit during the holiday season. Any tips or ideas that anyone can share to make this trip even more memorable? Anything we should or shouldn't miss? What's the weather like, still able to swim? Is it very crowded. Look forward to all and any suggestions . Thanks in advance:D

BrerGnat
08-22-2011, 09:05 AM
I would also like to hear others experiences. We will arrive Dec 15 for a week. VERY excited to see WDW at Holiday time! However, it's all new to us, so I'd love some information as well.

Strmchsr
08-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Hey, Natalie, I'll be down there with you (though arriving a couple of days earlier). We'll have to meet up to say hi.

In general, my experience with this time frame is that crowds are pretty manageable up until around Dec 19 or 20 then the crowd levels seem to skyrocket. However, I heard some reports from last year that mid-December was pretty crowded, too. Didn't go in December last year, so I can't verify. I guess we'll find out.

Disney Hungarian
08-22-2011, 09:57 AM
I was there Dec 11th to the 17th last year. The weather was freezing. On one day the high was 36! and the wind chill factor never got above freezing all day. The crowds were moderate level much busier than in previous years. But, not unmanagable. The weather started warming up on the 17th so I called and booked on more night so I could wear shorts. Yes, I went from earmuffs, scarfs, and gloves to shorts in one week. Loved it! The crowds were definately building by the 17th. I enjoyed it so much that I booked the 11th to the 17th again this year. You should expect high crowd levels during your stay from the 17-22. Have a game plan and have fun!

faline
08-22-2011, 10:29 AM
The weather was freezing. On one day the high was 36! and the wind chill factor never got above freezing all day. The crowds were moderate level much busier than in previous years. But, not unmanagable. The weather started warming up on the 17th so I called and booked on more night so I could wear shorts. Yes, I went from earmuffs, scarfs, and gloves to shorts in one week. Loved it!

This weather is typical for December. You can have mild, warm, swimming weather - there's many the time when I spent the whole day at a pool in December OR you can have freezing, cold weather (There are other trips when we've just glanced at the pool in passing) OR you can have anything in between including all extremes on the same trip. On my last December trip, I wore sweatshirts through most of the trip but wore shorts on the day we attended Mickey's party - including all through that night's party without feeling chilled at all.

I'd expect moderate crowds with crowds increasing to heavy by the time you leave.

Tygger7
08-22-2011, 11:03 AM
That's what I've heard as well....plan for all 4 seasons because you very well may see them all in December. :mickey:

Looks like there will be quite a few of us down there in December...we'll be there from Dec. 10-19th, staying at POR. Counting down the days! :party:

Jforrest2
08-22-2011, 03:30 PM
We will also be at POFQ the 19th - 26th. We have been to the world the week before and the week after. This will be our first over Christmas trip. The crowds will be crazy but who cares...we will be at Disney!! :party:

DisneyNut6777
08-23-2011, 06:03 AM
It' s sounding great. Being at WDW is always great!!!!:pixie: Temp in the 30's I hope to leave that stuff in TN.:D Hoping to have time to see all the different resorts and the decorations!!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-23-2011, 10:14 AM
We will be there 17-23rd this year

We have been there Dec. 25-Jan.1, Dec. 20-30 and Jan.1-7....I can say the weather is totally unpredictable.

For our Jan. trip we actually packed short sleeves, jeans etc. but no heavy jackets. It was freezing that year and we had to buy sweatshirts to keep warm at night. On the other two trips it seems like we had mixed weather. A day or two that was cold enough for jackets and other days in the mid 70's warm enough for short sleeves. My suggestion is to wear layers. I usually wear short sleeve shirts with jeans or athletic pants and carry a hoodie jacket that can be worn around the waist when its warm.

Have fun. Its a great time to visit.