PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Closure Process

Strmchsr
08-20-2011, 05:37 PM
It is not definite by any means, but the models are looking more and more like WDW will be dealing with a tropical storm (and potentially a significant hurricane) by this time next weekend. I know several of you are going down this week and are concerned. Keep a check in the weather thread for all the latest updates. I will update as often as there is anything to update.When a storm is heading towards Orlando it’s a monstrous operation to shut WDW down. Here’s the process so you can have an idea of what to expect:

Phase 5 (Monitoring Storm Possible) - Review current plan, checklists and business recovery plans. Review personnel and resource availability for the ride-out crew. Verify contact numbers and emergency data. Prepare WDW Emergency Operations Center for activation.

Phase 4 (Storm likely within 24–36 hrs) - General readiness imposed. Brief personnel. Review checklists. Consider possible shut down of long lead operations and not starting extended operations. Limited activation and staffing of WDW Emergency Operations Center.

Phase 3 (Storm probable within 12–24 hrs) - Intensify clean up and tie down. Prepare for phase 2 activity. Selected ride-out crew personnel given the opportunity to secure their personal property. Turn in excess radios and vehicles. WDW Emergency Operations Center opens and is fully staffed. Note: Generally this is when the WDW Emergency Operations Center, command centers, and command posts will be fully activated. However, this is an Executive Policy Team decision.

Phase 2 (Storm impending) - Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney MGM Studios, Animal Kingdom and Downtown Disney close. Guest campground trailers removed and secured by the guests. Scheduled hotel and campground guests notified of conditions. Complete all clean up and tie down short of shutdown. Authorized ride-out families move to pre-designated shelters. Ride-out crew fully staffed at start of phase 1 or as directed by the WDW Emergency Operations Center. Personnel not in ride-out crew released as soon as possible.

Phase 1 (Storm imminent, take shelter) - Shutdown all activities and immediately take shelter. Fulfill ride-out requirement plans.
Post Storm Phase - Command Centers submit situation reports to WDW Emergency Operations Center. Establish business resumption / recovery schedule. Notify employees through media and cast Member emergency lines of call back as directed by WDW Emergency Operations Center.

Now, please keep in mind that WDW has been open 40 years. That's over 14,500 operating days. In that time frame the parks have been closed a grand total of 7 days (5 instances) in those 40 years. The first time this happened was with Hurricane Floyd in 1999. That’s 18 years with no closures. It happened again on 9/11/01 due to the fear of further terrorist attacks, twice in 2004 for Hurricanes Frances and Charley, and then in 2005 for Hurricane Wilma. None of these closures lasted more than a day or two. So, don't worry too much about the impact on your vacation if you happen to be there when a storm hits.

Disney takes very good care of its guests during tropical storms. You’ll be provided with constant information and good care. You can search our forums for the experiences of those who have been at WDW during a hurricane and see that it wasn’t horrible. If you have further questions or want to discuss this more, check out the weather thread and we'll discuss. Have fun on your vacations!!!

faline
08-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the update, Chris! Very valuable information! We were there once, when Jeanne was approaching. Because I was starting a new postion, I REALLY needed to be home and not be delayed by a hurricane so we opted to leave early. The airlines were cooperative in changing our flights and Disney was helpful in refunding the one night we did not use at the resort (We left a day early and, if I remember correctly, we were stayng at Animal Kingdom Lodge).

frozman
08-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Thanks for that information. I'm going in about 3 weeks and I didn't really consider hurricane season a factor when I chose that time frame--truth be told there was only one factor, schools back in session :). But after I booked it, I keep getting "it's hurricane season" from everyone, and was starting to worry if I had chosen the wrong time to go. I am going to be down there for 9 days and only have a 7 day park ticket so a 2 day closure would not damper my plans.

lindkaye
08-20-2011, 11:26 PM
We were at Disney World during Hurricane Charlie. I have to say, I think it is the 1 place I would want to be during a hurricane. The measures Disney took before the hurricane and then the updates during the actual storm were very reassuring. We were asked to stay in our rooms during the actual storm and disney would give us updates on our room phone as to the storm conditions and when it was safe to leave the room. The cleanup process of the grounds and damages were taken care of immediately and the parks were reopened (except for Animal Kingdom due to the animals) the following morning. Disney actually had power when the surrounding areas did not. If you had to be in a hurricane, Disney is one place that is organized and prepared.

CanadianDisneyFan
08-21-2011, 07:51 AM
We've travelled several times during hurricane season and have never experienced more than a bit of rain. With Irene's possible path, we are a little concerned. We fly out of Detroit with Delta on the morning of Saturday, August 27. With current projections, that would be right after the storm hits the Orlando area. It is still early and that could be out a day or two. Has anyone experienced flight delays and how are those handled?

Strmchsr
08-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Has anyone experienced flight delays and how are those handled?

That's up to the individual airlines. MCO does a wonderful job of getting up and running again after the storm, and you'll be less likely to face a delay or problems flying in than if you were trying to fly out. So, just stay in touch with Delta and we'll see what happens.

BugeyedMuggy
08-21-2011, 11:43 AM
We've travelled several times during hurricane season and have never experienced more than a bit of rain. With Irene's possible path, we are a little concerned. We fly out of Detroit with Delta on the morning of Saturday, August 27. With current projections, that would be right after the storm hits the Orlando area. It is still early and that could be out a day or two. Has anyone experienced flight delays and how are those handled?

Last year in October there was a chance of a hurricane on the day of our travel to Disney. When we called the airline a week before to find out how this would be handled we were told we would be put on the next available flight on a first come first serve basis. The trip was very important to us as it was a gift to our daughter for college graduation. We booked refundable fares on the day before and the day after the predicted storm. Fortunately we did not need to use them and cancelled them with full refund. Just a suggestion for another option.

frozman
08-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Last year in October there was a chance of a hurricane on the day of our travel to Disney. When we called the airline a week before to find out how this would be handled we were told we would be put on the next available flight on a first come first serve basis. The trip was very important to us as it was a gift to our daughter for college graduation. We booked refundable fares on the day before and the day after the predicted storm. Fortunately we did not need to use them and cancelled them with full refund. Just a suggestion for another option.
I actually hadn't thought of doing that, believe me, when it comes to airline travel, the term "Non Refundable" is like a cuss word. NEVER EVER EVER consider it. But if my trip is a week away and it looks like there will be issues flying in (NOT FLYING BACK OUT LOL), I might have to do consider doing that.

WDWdriver
08-22-2011, 05:15 PM
If you had to be in a hurricane, Disney is one place that is organized and prepared.

I have actually heard of local families taking rooms at the Disney resorts when tropical storms are approaching. They know they will have safe shelter with electricity, food and plenty of entertainment.

WDWfanatic742
08-22-2011, 05:51 PM
I have actually heard of local families taking rooms at the Disney resorts when tropical storms are approaching. They know they will have safe shelter with electricity, food and plenty of entertainment.

^ This

Couple years back with Wilma we didn't have power for a week and schools were out for about a month. We were a couple hours away of just dropping everything and staying up in Disney for a couple days before the power came back on.

minnie04
08-23-2011, 01:39 PM
^ This

Couple years back with Wilma we didn't have power for a week and schools were out for about a month. We were a couple hours away of just dropping everything and staying up in Disney for a couple days before the power came back on.

WOW!! We were just about to go the day the power came back on in Miami:mad:. I was so upset :( The kids were so mad that we had power back..lol.I told my DH the next time we are out of power that long due to a storm we are leaving for Orlando.(he agreed ). I mean we were within a couple of hours of packing up(friends had already gone)

I was also there on 9/11, when the parks were closed we were at the All-Stars and the staff was more than helpful there was a very calm feeling at the hotel. They were more than ready to help everyone...I just remember the lobby being so quiet (for a disney hotel) it was like you could hear a pin drop. Everyone was walking in shock of course.. very scary day