PDA

View Full Version : How do you choose a resort?

Aurora
08-20-2011, 11:46 AM
We might have done this before, but thought it might be nice to get some new opinions.

How do you choose a resort -- price only? Location only? Theme? Habit? Let the rest of us know!

If it's a combination of the choices, please comment on why.

BugeyedMuggy
08-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Our first thought is the time of year. If it's the W&FF for us it's a must to stay in the Boardwalk area. We book the S&D and hope for a discount for a Disney resort. Any other time we book according to discount on the rooms. We love AKL and that is our 2nd choice. With the price we get at the S&D we don't stay at the values unless we have to. We are not a fan of the moderates due to bussing.

buzznwoodysmom
08-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Time of year, or reason for trip, often play a part in which resort we choose. We'd like to stay at them all one day so we are always trying to decide on which new resort we'll try next. If its a birthday celebration we typically let the birthday person pick the resort. If its a holiday trip we almost always pick WL. And if not WL we usually look into a nicely decorated area, like the one year we stayed at the BC for Thanksgiving because all the resorts in that area make for a great "decoration tour". In the summer months we tend to pick a resort that has a summery/tropical feel, or a great pool. When my son and two of my nephews all graduated from Kindergarten the same year we went on a big family trip to celebrate and the little graduates picked All Star Movies because they all loved Toy Story! Another year my SIL, my mom, and myself took my two sons and two nephews to WDW for a summer getaway without the hubbies. They were all big into pirates that year, so we stayed at CBR in the pirate rooms and even booked the pirate adventure cruise for them. So I guess you could say that trip was "pirate themed". LOL.

And then there are times when we want to stick to a budget. We visited for Halloween last year, just because we'd never been for Halloween. It was a short trip just to do MNSSHP and Wizarding World of Harry Potter. We had just gone to WDW for a big trip in June, and were returning for a birthday trip for my son in March so we didn't want to spend a ton on the resort. We got a great discount and stayed at POFQ.

We are headed there for Christmas this year and are staying at WL because I can't imagine being at any other resort on Christmas morning, but we are thinking about arriving a bit earlier and staying a few nights at the Dolphin. We got a great military discount and we've never stayed at the Dolphin before so we figured why not???? Not to mention I love their heavenly beds (have stayed at the Swan before) and we need a new mattress. I'm hoping DH will love the bed and we can order the mattress for our bed when we get back!

Jillirose
08-20-2011, 12:24 PM
If we have enough $$ for deluxe, we choose our resort by location. We like the BC and Dolphin best for proximity to EPCOT (we eat there each night), DHS, and Boardwalk areas. I will say the pools at both keep us coming back!

Our budget is always the first deciding factor :thumbsup:

Mfarquar
08-20-2011, 01:01 PM
For us, it really depends on a few factors:

1) Have we taken or plan to take any additional vacations this year?

2) Our current budget - if limited - What is more important this time around - a longer vacation at a cheaper resort or a shorter vacation at a nicer resort?

3) Are we using a current promotion? Is it a better "value" if used at a particular level of resort?

4) What we have enjoyed in the past and also if we are looking for something new.

This year, we have already taken a 1 week beach vacation and an overnight lake getaway. We had originally planned to go to just Universal and stay at the Hard Rock for 5 or 6 nights, but the free dining plan promo made us realize that we could do an 11 night vacation at Disney and still go to HHN at Universal for 2 days for just a little bit more.

Even with paying to upgrade the dining plan from QS to CS, we determined it was the biggest "value" for us to stay at a value. We briefly considered the WL, but realized staying at a value was a bigger percentage of savings with this promo. We saved the most $$ and this time around we plan to spend most of our time in the park, so Pop Century it was!

We'll save WL for when we don't have a dining promo :mickey:

AllDisney
08-20-2011, 01:01 PM
$$ is our deciding factor thus most of our stays are at values.

Moderates & Deluxe stays were based on special room discounts or free dining being offered.

BTW....the first time we stayed at CBR, our first moderate resort, the rate was $65.00 a night and we thought we would splurge when we went. Boy how times have changed, huh?

E-OR
08-20-2011, 02:10 PM
If the whole family of four goes we will stay at a moderate, and if we have the money a deluxe. If it is just hubby and me we stay at a value. Value has always been ASsports or ASmovies. Deluxe is AKL, but next time I want to stay at WL. Moderate is POFQ.

kakn7294
08-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Our resort choice depends on a number of things - budget, location, any "extra" people going with us, discount offers, length of trip, etc. I do some research then we have a family meeting to decide. Sometimes we have additional family meetings and change our minds based on discount offers that may come out after our initial decision.

darthmacho
08-20-2011, 03:50 PM
What a thoughtful question! I think the first thing we consider is length of stay, which leads to the inevitable question of $$. Those two factors lead to which category we'll choose from. Last trip we decided 10 days, so we went moderate. Next time we want to go 14 days, which means value.
After that, it's all about theming, and hopefully trying something new.
When choosing among moderates, we'd already been to Coronado Springs, and loved it, but we wanted to choose from POR, POFQ, and CBR. We went with POR and loved it! It was harder choosing a value. We'd been to ASMu, but the others didn't appeal. We considered The new Art resort, but we weren't sure about construction maybe still going on.
You know how we ultimately decided on Pop Century? The cheesecake! Seriously, I saw photos of the Tie Dye cheesecake and Pop Waffles, and was hooked! After getting some positive feedback here, it was a go. So it's Pop Century, 14 days, August 2012! It's not officially booked yet, but it will be soon. :mickey:

Grumpy.
08-20-2011, 04:32 PM
For us, it's the size of our family and our budget. There's six of us so we are quite limited as to where we can stay. To us, the length of the trip is far more important then where we sleep at night. Connecting rooms at Pop tends to work out the best/cheapest, we get to stay longer and still be together (with 2 bathrooms, a big plus!).
I was hoping the suites at AoA would be cheaper than getting two rooms at Pop but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-20-2011, 05:15 PM
The first thing we consider is price...once we narrow down the ones in our budget we move onto theming. Like a previous poster said the time of year can be an influence. I knew we could stay at WL or AKL for our December trip. I've seen both of them decorated for Christmas and WL won out on theming. We also like the location, transportation options and the fact that they have queen size beds.

BigRedDad
08-20-2011, 06:41 PM
My decision is based on funds, who all is going, and what we are looking at doing.

My latest plan is to go with several people and camp. There is a company that rents large 5th Wheels for $135 a night. That is about $200 for a trailer and a tent to sleep about 12 people.

texas211
08-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Focus of trip, price, theme.

I balance how much time i plan to spend at the Disney Parks, at other parks.

If less time at any parks, more I plan to spend on the resort.
If more time at the Disney parks, then little bit less on the resort.
If not at the disney, and more on alternate orlando attractions, then less on the disney resort, else maybe not even a disney resort.

Price always factor. I balance what i'm getting for how much. I'm willing to spend more, if i feel i'm getting more, which my include a nicer, more equipped resort. This is where a good theme comes in. I want a nice theme.

Like I wouldn't spend the money on the Contemporary, but would put it on the others in the same price category. I wouldn't spend the same money at POFQ, but would easily on POR. Value resorts, my one stay at ASmusic, i'd rather stay at the hilton offsite.

faline
08-20-2011, 07:05 PM
I think of all the different resorts I've stayed in and try to figure out why we chose which one when. Some of the deluxes we chose when we got a particularly attractive discount. We've stayed in values and moderate when money was a clear consideration in our decision. At times, we've splurged and stayed n a deluxe regardless such as the time we stayed at the Grand Floridian. We've even stayed off-site when we wanted a quick trip but wanted to do it on a budget.

SBETigg
08-20-2011, 07:07 PM
We only stay deluxe, so that's our starting point. Location is our next deciding factor. We like to be close to parks. We always have to decide if we're going to stick with our favorites, the GF and Poly, or try a new location Finally trying the Yacht or Beach Club, just torn between the two and have to decide.

Gregandmel
08-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Our budget usually decides for us! LOL. We stayed at WL for our first trip because we wanted to have that "once in a lifetime" trip where $$ wasn't an issue. We loved it there!! We are big fans of the National Parks so when we were deciding on which "Deluxe" - this was an easy choice for us. The next trip we couldn't afford to spend so much, so we went with Intercot and recommendations on what people liked. AFter doing a lot of research, we went with POFQ. We liked that things were close together and that the busses picked up first. It was a great choice for us and we will probably choose this resort again next time. But I don't think you can go wrong......it's DISNEY!!! :mickey:

Daisy'sMom
08-21-2011, 11:23 AM
We always stay at POP now after staying in the deluxes for years. DH finally pointed out that we could spend the extra money we saved on Disney art and cells. We have a very good collection and we love POP. :mickey:

Mousemates
08-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Our factors include:

Reason for trip - if its a big celebration we are more apt to splurge...i.e. we stayed at the GF one time...for our 25th anniversary.

Have we stayed there before - we are trying to eventually stay at each resort and if things come down to a choice among equals we will often choose a resort we have not stayed in at all or an area of a resort we have not stayed in before.

Price (includes time of year we are traveling and discounts available

luvdiznee
08-21-2011, 07:11 PM
I personally go by themes. Thats why AKL, BWI and Poly ended up being my favorites.

TheVBs
08-22-2011, 08:10 AM
We've always stayed at ASMu and part of the reason for that is habit. It's the first resort DH and I stayed at on our first trip together and he very much likes to stick with what he knows or he gets stressed. And, since we've always enjoyed our stays there, it's hard to justify paying more for another location. We would rather use that extra money elsewhere in the parks. If we did try another location it would make sense to try a moderate rather than another value, but for now this is what works for us. :mickey:

BrerGnat
08-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Well, for us, it usually comes down to availability with a discount. I have used a discount for every single trip I've taken since 1999. So, I find out which resorts are available (Deluxe) using the discount, and then we choose from there. It mostly comes down to $$$, and how much we want to spend. Also, there are certain resorts that hold NO appeal to us, and so even when they are available, we don't consider them.

Our favorites are WL, Contemporary, and Beach Club. So, if one of those is available, we go with one of those. Usually, if I'm traveling without my DH and kids, we choose an MK resort, but with the DH and kids, we pick an Epcot resort, as that is everyone's favorite park! Time of year is pretty irrelevant to us.

Aurora
08-22-2011, 10:21 AM
We always stay at POP now after staying in the deluxes for years. DH finally pointed out that we could spend the extra money we saved on Disney art and cells. We have a very good collection and we love POP. :mickey:

What a great idea! I've heard other people picking values to save money for souvenirs or more days, but that is very specific, and what a nice incentive!

... with the DH and kids, we pick an Epcot resort, as that is everyone's favorite park!

On our last trip in June, I found out that my older kids love staying in the Epcot resorts and that Epcot is their favorite park now. I didn't know that before!

AgentC
08-22-2011, 10:47 AM
We might have done this before, but thought it might be nice to get some new opinions.

How do you choose a resort -- price only? Location only? Theme? Habit? Let the rest of us know!

If it's a combination of the choices, please comment on why.

We are local and go 3-5 times a year for short trips 2-5 days. We stay deluxe or moderate. I try to have at least 1 trip in a moderate to save money. We really enjoyed the better themed pools and the extra activities. At the deluxe resorts we always take advantage of some of the activities for children. We tend to try to do the deluxe for longer trips, special times of year such as Christmas, and if we get a great discount. I try to always book with a room only discount.

The next thing I look at is who is coming. Depending on the situation we are a group of 4, 5 or 6. When we are 5 , we tend to go deluxe. When we are 6, we do 2 moderate rooms. When we are 4, it goes either way.

Once I know how many people are going, I check what is available with a discount. We are trying to do every resort at least once, so if there is a great price on a resort we haven't stayed at, I will pick there. I also look at what area we have stayed at previously (MK, Epcot, DTD, etc.). Sometime we get bored being in the same area. We stayed at POFQ in Mar & May. When I was planning Dec, my husband requested another area which took POR and OKW off the list.

Next, I will look at another special we are doing. In Oct, F&W is going on so I wanted an Epcot resort. In Dec we wanted to be near MK.

After that I take into account personal preferences. My husband loves AKL. I love WL and YC/BC. My mom loves larger rooms and doesn't like CSR. So then I obsess until I decide what is right for everyone. :thumbsup:

Other than that we try to stay at YC/BC at least one trip a year because everyone loves it there. And we only stay at the value resorts for short stays that don't include my mom. So is SO not a value person. :laughing:

TexansInNY
08-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Ask your wife, "Where we staying?"
:mickey:

goofygirl67
08-28-2011, 09:04 AM
I go 4-5 times a year, in fact I haven't vacation anywhere but WDW for the last 8 years. I usually see what the bounceback offer is and book that way. I will keep an eye out for the AP discount and have changed it when needed.
Normally I stay at moderates for my 9 night stays unless I can get a good discount for AKL or WL. A couple of times I was able to get a better discount at OKW. For my weekend stay's it will be mod-values. The moderates are my favorites to resorts to stay at.

phlo8810
08-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Location is by far our biggest factor. We usually take my parents with us on our nov/dec trips. My dad uses the electric cart to get around so we always stay at the boardwalk. He loves epcot so BWV is an obvious choice for him. He hates taking the bus and making people wait for him to get on/off, so staying at the BW we only need to take a bus for AK and that is usually just a one day park. When we go on our april/may trips its just me and the wife with no kids, we like trying different spots because we too would like to stay at all of them. I must say the Epcot area has become our favorite spot. Walk to 2 parks, take the monorail to MK, the BC and BW pools are amazing, the nightlife at the BW is great considering it is at your hotel. Great restaurants and recreational activities too.

Mogie
08-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Price and Location to main attractions. Disney World works out best for us because the Dolphin/Swan is the most affordable of the deluxe hotels, and the transportation is probably the most convenient to travel to all the parks, with buses, boats and walking distance to epcot.

jnfr2424
09-08-2011, 01:10 PM
It first started as trying all of the resorts then it quickly changed to trying the newest one within their first year of existence and now its all about food - we are in WDW at least 4-5 times a year (AP holders) so now we go just to explore the resorts especially their restaraunts.

c&d
09-08-2011, 02:36 PM
If we're not staying at our DVC I chose by a resort I haven't stayed at before. My goal in life is to stay in all the resorts.

dtootsie42
09-09-2011, 04:59 PM
We usually stay at the deluxes because we are a family of five. Our girls love the Poly (we all do actually) so that has been our choice now for years. Due to the expense and because we live clear across the country we don't go as often and we literally save for two years.

Our upcoming trip in Feb of 2012 is the first time hubby and I are going alone...we thought lets try a moderate and then we thought lets try an Epcot hotel then we decided heck its our 25th wedding anniversary so lets do the Grand Floridian.

Now that our girls are all in their 20's and living busy lifes we decided we would try a different resort. Looking forward to exploring other resorts in the next few years.

Dec 1997-Contemporary
Dec 1999-Poly
Dec 2001-Poly concierge
June 2002-Disneyland (off site)
Dec 2003-Poly concierge
Dec 2005-Poly concierge
Dec 2007-Poly concierge
Oct 2008-Disneyland (off site)
Dec 2009-Poly concierge
Nov 2010-Disneyland Hotel
Next trip Feb. 2012 Grand Floridian concierge celebrating 25 years of marriage just hubby and I

kemps@wdw
09-11-2011, 12:58 AM
for us...
Price: don't mind spending a little extra for a
good balcony view since we use it alot.
Transportation: less time spent traveling place
to place, the better.
Theming: relaxing, somewhat quiet.
of course, the usual amenities matter. Room size, cleanliness, and location in regards to the rest of the resort (don't want to walk 1/2 mile to get to the main area), food options, laundry facilities, and pool access.

ryca1dreams
09-12-2011, 12:52 PM
For us it's a multi-step process, but not an exact science.

First we decide where we wantto go. This is based mainly on location and theming. If it doesn't matter, then go to step 3.

Second, we determine when we are going. This factors in cost, discounts, traffic, crowds, use of pools, etc.

After that we look at how long we are staying. This is not just for price reasons, but for convenience. Longer stays mean more time to enjoy the resort.

Last is cost. Based on what we want and when we are going, and for how long we determine how much we can afford (and are willing to pay).

This whole process is pretty transparent - it just happens through talking it out.

tdk316
09-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Right now, with two toddlers, it's all about which resort can we get back to the room the fastest from MK. Yep, we stay at Bay Lake. :mickey:

Looking forward to staying at BW and BC again when the kids are older. :cloud9: Those are the adults' favorites although we've stayed at POFQ a lot (pre-kids) and would be happy to stay there again also.