PDA

View Full Version : May 5th to the 11th???

Disney Hungarian
08-19-2011, 10:15 PM
I have never been to WDW in the spring. I have been in June, July, August, Sept., Oct., Nov. and Dec.

My Mother's birthday is May 11th. I want to surprise her with a birthday trip. How are the crowds/weather?

Also I have never booked a trip more than 2 months out. I am afraid I will have a nervous breakdown from trying to keep a secret and from waiting. How on Earth do people stand it?

Oh, and I will also try to get a bounce back offer or an AP discount (when we go in Sept.) for this December also. We froze our keesters off last year. But mom loved it and wants to see the lights and snow again.

brivers222
08-19-2011, 11:45 PM
before this past Oct trip I used to only go in early may for 14 days... mainly because my anniversary was may 2nd. I loved this time of year. Crowds were very manageable (got to do everything we wanted with minimal waits and not really needing fastpasses) weather was really awesome too

Disney Hungarian
08-19-2011, 11:50 PM
before this past Oct trip I used to only go in early may for 14 days... mainly because my anniversary was may 2nd. I loved this time of year. Crowds were very manageable (got to do everything we wanted with minimal waits and not really needing fastpasses) weather was really awesome too
AWESOME!!! I was hoping it would be like that. Mother's Day is that Sunday the 13th so I want to get her back for the rest of the family/friends to celebrate it with her.

BugeyedMuggy
08-20-2011, 06:16 AM
Early May is our 2nd favorite time of year in Disney (Oct being our first) It is F&GF and Epcot is beautiful. The crowds are very managable and the weather is usually upper 80's to low 90's but not humid yet. I can't tell you how to keep a secret like that as I would not be able to. Have a blast.

Strmchsr
08-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Weather can be a little iffy in terms of the heat. The last 3 years it's been low to mid 90s and quite humid for early May. Generally it's upper 80s, but Florida is in a bit of a drought and things have been much hotter than normal in May. If you've been June-August though it shouldn't be a big deal.

Also, crowds are manageable. Not low like they used to be in May, though. They've definitely increased considerably in the last 3-4 years, but not horrible.

Basket Mommy
08-20-2011, 09:09 AM
The first week of May is one of my favorite times to go to WDW. The heat is manageable but warm enough that the pools feel great, the crowds are not so bad, and the Flower and Garden Festival is winding down. LOVE early May! When we went this year I swear the humidity was almost non-existent. Some friends went down 2 weeks after we did and the temps were in the 90s-100s with high humidity. What a difference a couple of weeks makes!!

Disney Hungarian
08-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks everyone. We can handle the heat and humidity better than the cold. The temperature swings in the Spring are the main reason I haven't tried to go at that time of year.

I think mom would love the F&GF. The crowds are typically my biggest concern now. Pushing a wheelchair through a crowd is not a magical experience.

joonyer
08-20-2011, 12:18 PM
The weather won't be much different from South Mississippi for that time of year. Maybe a little more humid, more frequent afternoon showers, and plenty warm. WDW will seem crowded, but its nothing compared to what it gets like from Memorial day and later. Very manageable, especially if you've been there before, and know your way around, what you want to see or skip, etc. Use Fastpass wisely and you should be able to avoid most really long waits.

Tink#64
08-20-2011, 10:46 PM
We love April & early May in WDW! :thumbsup:
We have always had great weather & crowds were very manageable. But it has been years since our DS's were young enough to pull out of school in ealy - mid May! I miss visiting during the Flower & Garden Festival! :mickey: