PDA

View Full Version : May, particularly late May

MushuGrl
08-19-2011, 12:05 PM
We're all over the place with planning a possible next trip, from January to October, and now May. How is May weatherwise and crowdwise?

Tygger7
08-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Mid to late May is actually one of our favorite times to go. We usually try to go the 2 weeks prior to Memorial Day, leaving WDW on the Thursday before the long weekend. The weather has always been excellent for us....nice & warm, but lower humidity. Crowds are kinda hit or miss...there was one day that MK was packed, so we left after lunch and hopped over to Epcot. Practically no crowds and it was one of the best days of our entire vacation. You can usually hit the tail end of the Flower & Garden Festival, and one of the Star Wars Weekends. I've been multiple times in June and July, and May is by far the best in terms of crowds & weather.

Good luck with planning!

buzznwoodysmom
08-19-2011, 05:02 PM
We've been in late May once, and it was just a bad week all around. There was a horrible heat wave that came through, seriously, hotter than all our trips in June. I am from Southern Louisiana and this was way hotter than a normal May. And it was packed!!! We left to go home the weekend of Memorial Day, but the parks were packed from day one of that trip. I really think it was just a fluke. We had friends there with us who had been during the exact week the year before and they said it was no where near as hot or crowded the previous year. I think we'll go back again in late May one of these years. Just know that it can be extremely hot and crowded, even when your not really expecting it.

Tink#64
08-20-2011, 10:36 PM
We've been in late May once, and it was just a bad week all around. There was a horrible heat wave that came through, seriously, hotter than all our trips in June. I am from Southern Louisiana and this was way hotter than a normal May. And it was packed!!! We left to go home the weekend of Memorial Day, but the parks were packed from day one of that trip. I really think it was just a fluke. We had friends there with us who had been during the exact week the year before and they said it was no where near as hot or crowded the previous year. I think we'll go back again in late May one of these years. Just know that it can be extremely hot and crowded, even when your not really expecting it.

I don't think that was a fluke at all since we had the same experience several years ago! We arrived on Saturday the weekend prior to the holiday weekend & we noticed it was considerably more crowded as soon as we arrived & the crowds built all week! By Friday of the MD weekend, very CROWDED everywhere! We said then, no more holidays for us! Heard lots of people say their kids were out of school already & others said that they just pulled them out since it was the last week! We went during our spring break in early April a year or 2 later, and it was way less crowded then & I had expected it to be comparable! Happy surprise!

We've been mid May several times & it was fantastic! Great weather, nights in the 60's & high's in the 80's, and some trips no rain at all! Low crowd levels, (compared to summer), only ran into a few field trip groups at Epcot. Alas, DS's are now in high school & we can't pull them out of school in May now!

This year we went at the end of June & it rained - every day, somedays for quite awhile! Not to mention the huge BTG's! They were everywhere, made for very long stand by's, even some FP lines if you got behind one of those big groups! Apparently June & July is a very popular time for the BTG'S according to one Soarin CM. I'm shooting for Spring Break again for next trip! :thumbsup: