PDA

View Full Version : Splash mountain ok for back problems?

disneymomma2010
08-18-2011, 02:57 PM
My brother in law is going with us this fall and he has back problems and will not be able to ride anything jerky. Would splash mountain be too rough for him? It's not rough for me but i'm not looking from the perspective of someone with a bad back. Thanks!:thumbsup:

Disney Hungarian
08-18-2011, 03:14 PM
There can be some jarring when the logs get backed up and bump into each other. Plus the g-forces as the logs splash down and greatly reduce speed.

SBETigg
08-18-2011, 03:14 PM
I think that's a ride with warnings for people with back problems. My husband does have back problems, but he goes on lots of rides anyway, Splash Mountain among them. He spoke with his doctor, and they agreed that the rides in question for us present no special issues that should bother him. This does not mean your BIL would be able to go on and be unaffected. Only your BIL and his doctor could make that call. I want to be more helpful than that, but honestly, there are all kinds of back problems and what works for one person could be great pain for another.

cather74
08-18-2011, 03:19 PM
My dad had back problems the last time we went and had to sit out Splash along with most of the other jerky rides. Although it is smoother than others....when it comes to backs you just don't know what will set them off. Better safe than sorry.:mickey:

joonyer
08-18-2011, 03:34 PM
Anyone with serious back pain problems should probably not be riding theme park attractions that move very much. Ever been rear ended by a log on Splash? That's one reason why they have a warning sign posted (not to mention the big drop). Ignore the risks at your own risk.

lettripp
08-18-2011, 04:06 PM
I think it depends on the kind and severity of the back problem. He should talk to his doctor just in case.

From experience: my back problem is pretty minor and has (luckily) healed with time. As of now, the only attraction that aggravates it at all is Mission Space... so again, it depends on the type and severity.

disneymom2000
08-18-2011, 11:50 PM
I have spinal implants which includes rods between the curves of the spine, a plate and some screws around the very lower part of my back. I think the worst rides I have been on that mess with my back are Big Thunder Railroad and Space Mountain. I have never had a problem with Splash Mountain ( or TOT for that matter). I hate to tell anyone to take the chance because you just never know the extent of someone else's problem. If I get hurt then it will be my own fault as they do stress the risks with signs everywhere.

Dznygrl79
09-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Another consideration is weight, as you go over the mountain you can rise up and then slap back down in the seat, it can be very hard on the back. I know I cannot ride it anymore. For the same reason up and down, I cannot ride the hunny pots at pooh and they have always been a fav!
I am going back in February after having been away for several years because of back injury. Good luck and have fun there is still plenty to do!

EeyoresBestFriend
09-23-2011, 03:55 PM
My dad had back problems the last time we went and had to sit out Splash along with most of the other jerky rides. Although it is smoother than others....when it comes to backs you just don't know what will set them off. Better safe than sorry.:mickey:

I have a bad back (couple of herniated discs) and have no problem at all with Splash. Anyone with back issues will admit that you NEVER know what will set it off, this isn't one of the rides that seems to be bad in the rough department.

I always have a tonne of drugs on hand just in case I misjudge my ability to handle a ride. :D

Good Luck!