PDA

View Full Version : diverticulitis

mickeymacnlinda
08-18-2011, 11:29 AM
My wife has diverticulitis and therefore should not be eating seeds, nuts, etc. When we were last in the World we found that Disney had switched all of their buns to whole grain, which contain seeds. Even the pizza crust is whole grain now. We would always ask if there was an alternative bun and mostly found it was only the gluten free bun. She tried this once and it did not agree with her. We spoke with the manager at Cosmic Rays (which was the only place that had an alternate bun choice) and he said every counter service should have that. Has anyone else experienced this and what does everyone suggest. Thanks.

Strmchsr
08-18-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm not entirely sure about the bun choice, but I would call Disney Dining and ask to talk to their special need dining section. They have CMs who deal with that specifically and they're really wonderful to talk to. I think that would be the most helpful option for you. Also, note the need on your ADRs and the chef will come talk to you to make sure your wife gets a good meal.

brownie
08-18-2011, 12:35 PM
I think this page from the Disney World site has helpful information for you: Special Dietary Requests (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/special-dietary-requests/).

From the list towards the bottom of the page, it looks like not all the counter service locations are equipped to handle food allergy/intolerance issues.

chrim
08-19-2011, 11:59 PM
That is a tough problem. I have family members who have suffered from the same medical issue and I hadn't thought about the bread, but I see it now.

Some ideas that might or might not work
- ask for a burger or hot dog wrapped in lettuce instead of on a bun

- order a wrap instead of a sandwich (available in places like Pecos Bill and Cosmic Rays for instance.

- go for a taco salad or other meat rich dish without a bun (at least I assume you are asking about things that are burger like rather than roasted chicken, chicken nuggets, pasta, etc.).

- I believe the Plaza Restaurant has white bread/rolls but you will be paying more since it is table service (but not as much as other table service restaurants).

- Teriyaki Beef at Yakitori House in Epcot.

- At least one CS restaurant in each park should have pre-packaged kosher meals (which Disney buys from an outside vendor) available. I believe one of the options is a hamburger; I don't know what kind of bun is used but it could be worth asking.

- There are a couple places that serve a meatball sub, although you might have to ask them to hold the sauce in case there are any tomato seeds in it. Pinocchio Village Haus in the MK (although I am not sure about the bread type) or Earl of Sandwich at Downtown Disney (they offer a choice of white or wheat bread).

- The Wolfgang Puck Express places at Downtown Disney have their own pizza dough (different from the Disney run places) I do believe, so they might be an option.

I hope one or more of these options might work out for you!

chrim
08-20-2011, 12:54 AM
You might also want to look at the Boulangerie Pātisserie in France at Epcot for a sandwich on a croissant or french bread (baguette).

Or maybe even Starring Rolls Bakery at The Hollywood Studios.

(I keep thinking of other possible options -- sorry for the long list.)

MinnieMommie
08-20-2011, 05:14 PM
My immediate thought upon reading this is to say to avoid the popcorn. I am sure you already know this but popcorn is everywhere, is very tempting but a key food to avoid with diverticulitis. Careful food selections will be key to enjoying your trip. Again I am sure you already know this.