PDA

View Full Version : Amoeba blamed for swimming death in Florida

Goofy4TheWorld
08-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Reposting from Yahoo! News.

This morning....

ORLANDO, Fla (Reuters) - A dangerous amoeba that thrives in warm, freshwater bodies in the heat of summer caused the recent death of a 16-year-old Central Florida girl, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control confirmed on Monday.

Courtney Nash died Saturday, 10 days after she, her brother and four friends went swimming August 3 in the St. Johns River on Florida's east coast, her uncle, Thomas Uzel, said at a news conference.

"They were having fun just like any other kid would out in the water," he said.

The amoeba, officially known as Naegleria fowleri, is a single-cell, microscopic organism found in such freshwater bodies as lakes, rivers, hot springs and, occasionally, in neglected, unchlorinated swimming pools.

The amoeba typically enters a swimmer's nose and invades the brain causing an almost always fatal infection, according to Jonathan Yoder, an epidemiologist at the CDC in Atlanta.

Out of 118 people reported to have had the amoeba infection since 1962, only one survived, Yoder said. Most reported cases have been in the southern states of Florida and Texas, he said.

Yoder said the average age of the amoeba victims is 12. He said experts believe young people are more susceptible because they are more likely to jump into the water, dive to the bottom and otherwise play underwater in ways that force water, and potentially amoebas, up their noses.

Researchers report that the amoebas proliferate when the water temperature reaches 80 degrees Fahrenheit, but they also survive at cooler temperatures.

Anti-fungal drugs are effective against the amoeba in the laboratory, but the infection in humans typically cannot be diagnosed quickly enough to save the patient.

This afternoon...

A parasite known as the "brain-eating amoeba" has claimed its second young American victim this month.

Christian Strickland, a 9-year-old from Henrico County in Virginia contracted an infection after visiting a fishing camp in his state. He died of meningitis on August 5.

This week, health department officials confirmed that the deadly amoeba--officially known as "Naegleria fowleri"--was to blame.

"Sadly, we have had a Naegleria infection in Virginia this summer," Dr. Keri Hall of the Virginia Department of Health, told The Richmond Times-Dispatch. "It's important that people be aware of . . . safe swimming messages."

Earlier this month, Courtney Nash succumbed to the brain-eating amoeba after diving off a dock into the St. John's River at her grandmother's house in Florida.

According to her mother Patricia Nash, Courtney decided before her death to become an orgain donor. "I didn't get my miracle, but she has performed other miracles," Patricia told local station WESH. "If we can save other people's lives so they don't have to go through what I just went though, this could be a blessing in disguise."

Usually found in warm, stagnant water in freshwater lakes, ponds, and rivers, the parasite "enters the nasal passages ... and migrates to the olfactory nerves, eventually invading the brain," according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It almost always causes meningitis. Symptoms include fever, nausea, stiff neck and a frontal headache.

Thirty-two infections of the parasite were reported in the U.S. between 2001 and 2010, CDC spokeswoman Christine Pearson told The Lookout, adding that infections are almost always deadly. That included two children in Phoenix who are thought to have contracted it through the domestic water supply in 2002.

This significance of posting here is that this Amoeba is why swimming isn't allowed at Bay Lake, 7 Seas Lagoon, etc..

Dulcee
08-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Very, very sad but also be aware the odds of contracting this are ridiculously slim. Thousands more people drown every year in the US.

Wolf
08-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Yuck! I don't like anything "brain-eating" ..Gives me the heebee-jeebees

iceicebritney
08-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Is it just my legalistic mind or every time you hear about this dangerous microbial living in the Florida lakes do you think there is more (lawsuit pending) to the closing of river country than just a precautionary health and safety decision:confused: I know at this point we've passed the four year statute of limitations in Florida, but it's just always the first thing that pops into my head when we talk about these dangerous microbes!

Aurora
08-17-2011, 05:39 PM
So sad... I feel for these families.

A Big Kid
08-17-2011, 06:19 PM
"Brain-eating?" I am not worried about "brain-eating" stuff.

crltkcagle
08-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Actually know of someone who died of this just a few months ago. He was apparently using a neti pot (for allergies) and the water was contaminated. Not sure where he was getting the water from. But he checked into the hospital on a Monday morning and by Tuesday afternoon he was dead. After that I vowed to only put bottled water in my neti pot from now on!

Ian
08-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Very sad story all around. My heart goes out to those affected.

Ed
08-18-2011, 09:35 AM
There's been several deaths in FL over the past few years from this amoeba. This is the primary reason why we don't swim in the beautiful 14,000 acre lake about a block and a half from our home. We boat and fish on it, but no swimming.

The secondary reason is pretty elementary - -the lake is full of :gator: :gator: :gator:

DisneyDINK
08-18-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm a triathlete and I do many open water swims each year. Granted, I live in the northwest and I'm a long way from the areas where this horrible little amoeba thrives.

As recently as 2003 when I stayed at the GF I remember the Danskin womens triathlon being hosted at WDW; I thought they swam in the Seven Seas Lagoon. I'm guessing Naegleria fowleri is one reason WDW is no longer host to such events.

buzznwoodysmom
08-18-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm a triathlete and I do many open water swims each year. Granted, I live in the northwest and I'm a long way from the areas where this horrible little amoeba thrives.

As recently as 2003 when I stayed at the GF I remember the Danskin womens triathlon being hosted at WDW; I thought they swam in the Seven Seas Lagoon. I'm guessing Naegleria fowleri is one reason WDW is no longer host to such events.

Actually the annual Iron Man race is still held at Fort Wilderness, and the athletes still swim in the lake. DH was hoping to do this race one year, but I'm not sure I want him to.

dnickels
08-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Actually the annual Iron Man race is still held at Fort Wilderness, and the athletes still swim in the lake. DH was hoping to do this race one year, but I'm not sure I want him to.

If it helps ease your mind at all, the CDC lists 30 deaths in Florida due to the amoeba since 1937. The odds of dying from this are literally tens of millions to one.

A terrible situation for the families, but the amoeba has killed 3 in the US this year out of 300 million people. It gets the news attention because of the words "brain eating."

DizneyRox
08-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Things always seem to happen in three's...

SBETigg
08-18-2011, 01:10 PM

Controlled events like a triathlon, where people are swimming fast across the surface and back and not diving down and playing in water in a way that's going to force it up a nose or into airways, are allowed, it seems. It's the kind of swimming where people are diving to the bottom, stirring up gunk, splashing, and risking ingestion that are a concern. Since Disney can't control exactly what guests will do if swimming is allowed in general, it's not allowed. But the lagoon is not entirely off limits for things with a more controlled purpose. They still have water sports like parasailing, too, I think.

VWL Mom
08-18-2011, 02:06 PM
This is very scary. My boys were wake boarding and tubing in June from the CR. I think we'll pass next week.

My heart goes out to the families that lost a loved one.

BrerGnat
08-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Just for information, the triathletes wear nose plugs and goggles when they are swimming in WDW for that event.

This is so sad. I can't imagine having a healthy child one day and then having it turn around so quickly. :(

buzznwoodysmom
08-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Just for information, the triathletes wear nose plugs and goggles when they are swimming in WDW for that event.
(

Ok, Natalie, I didn't think about the nose plug. DH wears goggles for other races, but has never used a nose plug, but that makes sense.

Terra
08-18-2011, 09:21 PM
My sympathy and prayers of comfort go out the family. So very sad!

Wolf
08-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Actually know of someone who died of this just a few months ago. He was apparently using a neti pot (for allergies) and the water was contaminated. Not sure where he was getting the water from. But he checked into the hospital on a Monday morning and by Tuesday afternoon he was dead. After that I vowed to only put bottled water in my neti pot from now on!

OMG! Thats so scary! I use that thing alot for my insane allergies I can't believe i never thought of that...I hope my sink water is safe...

BrerGnat
08-19-2011, 12:56 PM
OMG! Thats so scary! I use that thing alot for my insane allergies I can't believe i never thought of that...I hope my sink water is safe...

Not to go completely off topic, if you use a Neti Pot, and you are not using distilled water, you should always boil the water before using. Those are in the instructions that come with the thing. Tap water can have all kinds of organisms in it. You have to be careful when you're putting it in your nasal passages.