PDA

View Full Version : Resort Pool DJs?? - Music?

disneykidsince1970
08-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Hi all - Question about the resort pool ambience!

I don't recall this from the 70s/80s when I was hanging out as a kid/teenager but...

I was at SS last year and went to the pool one afternoon and heard too-loud music with awful "narration" or what some might describe as a DJing effort. I thought it was too loud and obnoxious and very un-Disney. (in full disclosure, I am a 40yo working mom of 2 young kids - but I have been known to get my groove on when the time is right! :secret:)

We will be staying at BLT in April during the Easter season and my sister went to check out the pool for us while she was "in the neighborhood" and she reported seeing a similar activity (gasp!!)

what's up with that!?

VWL Mom
08-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Don't know about DJing but I do know the lifeguards use the music and mic in the afternoons for games with the kids such as hula hoop contests, musical steps, and things of that nature.

disneykidsince1970
08-17-2011, 02:22 PM
yes, I could see that some kid activity could be fun - but with a microphone!? ick. I have 2 kids who might enjoy that but... I wouldn't! and...certainly, other guests woulnd't either!?

Seems very obtrusive to me.

I would also hope lifeguards should be focusing on lifeguarding too - not hula hoops?

am I being snobby? :confused:

gwfx1031
08-17-2011, 02:35 PM
I know the DVC resorts have "pool parties" and games in the afternoon at their pools. The music is usually pretty loud and has a heavy rotation of teen music. It seems to cater to the kids and goes on for an hour or two at a time.

TexansInNY
08-17-2011, 05:18 PM
hahaha you and me both 1970 - no such events when we have been at pools ever - not to say they have not happened but we haven't experienced it - and I like it that way - on my chair with drink in hand.

iceicebritney
08-17-2011, 05:25 PM
This is all true. It's been occurring at the deluxe resort pools for a while now. It is a nice feature for the children, who really seem to enjoy it.

They have similar activities At luxury resorts such as the breakers in palm beach. However, they have other areas that those who aren't participating can quietly retreat to.

jonahbear2006
08-18-2011, 12:58 AM
it is all the deluxe resorts that do this, not just dvc, bc grand floridian does it, too. When we stayed on our dvc in jan. we pool hopped and all the pools do this, in deluxe. We love it and these CMs that are doing this are not lifeguarding. The lifeguards are in their chairs doing their job and there are two CMs running a mic and playing games w the families, we even won a WDW trivia game,and children get tattoos and play karaokee, and hula hoop contests. My husband get some time alone in the pool and the kids get to play games. Once at WL a CM even took the kids off to do a scavenger hunt. It leaves them with nice warm feelings about the pool and if you come past 4pm this is over and you dont have to deal with it if you dont want to.

disneykidsince1970
08-18-2011, 04:27 AM
thanks for that perspective... yes, I could see kids enjoying this activity, mine included.

however, I long for the days where there was more "self-entertainment" and they didn't need a cruise director! but... you got me at "alone time in the pool while they do a scavenger hunt."

Does anyone know if these times are standard or printed/provided somewhere so that we could indeed avoid it if we want to?

thanks everyone!

DisneyWFan
08-18-2011, 06:16 AM
it is all the deluxe resorts that do this, not just dvc, bc grand floridian does it, too. When we stayed on our dvc in jan. we pool hopped and all the pools do this, in deluxe. We love it and these CMs that are doing this are not lifeguarding. The lifeguards are in their chairs doing their job and there are two CMs running a mic and playing games w the families, we even won a WDW trivia game,and children get tattoos and play karaokee, and hula hoop contests. My husband get some time alone in the pool and the kids get to play games. Once at WL a CM even took the kids off to do a scavenger hunt. It leaves them with nice warm feelings about the pool and if you come past 4pm this is over and you dont have to deal with it if you dont want to.

Actually this was done at the All-Stars the last time we stayed there (2009) so I don't think it is just a Deluxe resort thing. I think it may be done at all the resorts at their "main pool" if your resort has a quite pool you should be safe there

WDWCrazyKaren
08-18-2011, 07:55 AM
By reading these posts, it looks like it is everywhere. All Stars had it going on twoyears ago, POR one year ago, and POFQ had a very quiet pool party going on. POFQ was certainly tolerable, while the others were very loud. Luckily, we stay nowhere near the pools (per our request) and we can't hear them. Only when we walk by. I guess all it does to us is make us walk faster! We find them annoying, but we don't use the pool, so it's ok.

Ed
08-18-2011, 08:00 AM
We were at OKW early this month. They had similar activities at the main pool, but not at the Turtle Pond pool. We also spent one day at the main pool at SSR and one at the new Paddock pool at SSR, and they had it there, too. We didn't find the music to be too loud or obnoxious; the music was a good blend of oldies and current stuff, and there were no wannabe-DJs.

Definitely not just a deluxe thing.

VWL Mom
08-18-2011, 09:16 AM
thanks for that perspective... yes, I could see kids enjoying this activity, mine included.

however, I long for the days where there was more "self-entertainment" and they didn't need a cruise director! but... you got me at "alone time in the pool while they do a scavenger hunt."

Does anyone know if these times are standard or printed/provided somewhere so that we could indeed avoid it if we want to?

thanks everyone!

You will get a printed sheet with weekly activities at check in. Since you are staying at BLT you could always go to the quiet pool at CR.
We still heard the main pool from there but very faint.

buzznwoodysmom
08-18-2011, 11:08 AM
yes, I could see that some kid activity could be fun - but with a microphone!? ick. I have 2 kids who might enjoy that but... I wouldn't! and...certainly, other guests woulnd't either!?

Seems very obtrusive to me.

I would also hope lifeguards should be focusing on lifeguarding too - not hula hoops?

am I being snobby? :confused:

That's what the quiet pools are for! LOL.

These pool parties, as Disney calls them, typically happen just about every afternoon in the 2-4ish time frame, if I am remembering correctly. We've been at the pool plenty of times when this was going on and we never thought of it as obnoxious, too loud, or in any way offensive. Our kids enjoyed a few of the games they were playing. Even DH and I got in on the Disney trivia, and Disney music trivia. Its a lot of fun, and only happens for a few hours each day. The CMs "running the show" are not lifeguarding, so no need to worry about that. If you really don't like it I'd suggest heading to one of the resorts quiet pools for the few hours this is going on.

disneykidsince1970
08-18-2011, 11:18 AM
okay... okay.... I guess I am not embracing the value of the "pool party." :blush: Maybe it was just that particular day at Saratoga Springs but... I want to laugh and splash and have fun with my kids... but the teenager on the microphone was interrupting my mo-jo. :ack: I take the point of the "quiet pool" suggestions...thank you very much.

On that note, does BLT have one? If no, I assume we can use the Contemporary one. What designates "the quiet pool" though - are there posted rules of some kind?

Thanks everyone...

greengeen
08-18-2011, 12:48 PM
I hate the pool parties. Often they're entertaining 4 kids while annoying hundreds of guests.

Everyone who agrees - be sure to answer any surveys from Disney (we get surveyed about every other stay) and make your opinion known. Disney does respond to public opinion about their resorts. Maybe they'll do away with this annoying practice.

brownie
08-18-2011, 01:08 PM
On that note, does BLT have one?

There's only one pool area at Bay Lake Towers.

disneykidsince1970
08-18-2011, 02:14 PM
I hate the pool parties. Often they're entertaining 4 kids while annoying hundreds of guests.

Everyone who agrees - be sure to answer any surveys from Disney (we get surveyed about every other stay) and make your opinion known. Disney does respond to public opinion about their resorts. Maybe they'll do away with this annoying practice.

;) thanks for validating that I am not the only one!!!

buzznwoodysmom
08-18-2011, 03:49 PM

I understand that the pool parties are definitely not for everyone, especially those who do not have children. But seriously its just a few hours a day! I would hate for Disney to take away something that many people enjoy because other guests don't want to be bothered with it. In all our WDW trips, and there have been plenty, we've seen tons of kids and families (yes we've seen many parents join in the fun) enjoying these pool parties, not just "4 kids". If this was going on all day, morning till night then I'd completely understand, but for just a couple of hours a day????? And at almost every resort there are other pools that guests can use during those few hours. To me its not that difficult to avoid the pool during those hours, its posted on the activites sheet you get when you check in, and as was already stated there are other pools that can be used during this time, so its not like you don't have another pool option during the games.

BrianandJodilovedisney
08-18-2011, 04:09 PM
We just got back from the WL on Saturday. And yes they do games by the main pool with a mic and games for the kids. top 40 music or 80's.. very UN disney.. i did not like it at all.

i miss just listening to the piped in background music of the resort and relaxing.

When did they start this tradition? My family thought it was funny on how annoyed I was by this.

:mickey:

darthmacho
08-18-2011, 04:23 PM
We just got back from the WL on Saturday. And yes they do games by the main pool with a mic and games for the kids. top 40 music or 80's.. very UN disney.. i did not like it at all.

i miss just listening to the piped in background music of the resort and relaxing.

When did they start this tradition? My family thought it was funny on how annoyed I was by this.

:mickey:

Would someone PLEASE think about the children! :D

Seriously though, I sympathize with the people who don't like this idea, and when you brought up the WL, the background music, and the disruption of the ambience that took place, I got what you were saying. Hours of loud rock music permeating the courtyard at WL certainly would disrupt that. Thumbs down. :down:

jonahbear2006
08-18-2011, 04:56 PM
I agree with what was said about its only like 2 hrs a day. I love the quietness of the resorts however it seems to be that Disney has chosen the time of day at which the parks are the busiest so that most likely people who arent wanting to do this arent being bothered by it. My children are homeschooled so they are very self sufficient and dont need a "cruise director" to be happy, however, some children really do need this bc they are so used to being in front of some sort of entertainment, these days. I slept through a trip to the pool party when I had just had a baby and came down to the pool and was extremely disappointed on all that I was missing out on. There are adults who enjoy this. And I was unaware that the values did this and sorry for overlooking that. I just assumed, since I was at POR for 2 weeks and never saw them do it that it was a deluxe thing. never assume...

Figaro
08-19-2011, 06:37 PM
I used to be one of the people who'd host the pool parties. We'd make efforts to hold them during times people were less likely to be napping, and also would take into account he acoustics of the building and areas. Usually the parties only last around an hour and then they are done. Sometimes we'll use the equipment as background music for other events, but normally not as loud. It usually is the lifeguards or rec staff as the DJs, so we're not really formally trained, though, Disney Entertainment does come out and audit the parties to make sure they are within Disney spec. I personally got audited and a commendation from the Disney Entertainment department for my parties, but that's just me. If you do have a problem with the parties though, when you're at a resort, ask to speak to a recreation coordinator or a recreation guest service manager. :thumbsup:

disneykidsince1970
08-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks Figaro - very cool to know! ...and reassuring as well - interesting (!!) that there is an effort to meet Disney standards.

I am glad that I am having all this dicussion now - vs. when I am there - a few great points from Intercotees about the activity. Another shout-out for Intercot! :number1:

and... to be fair, I've had only one exposure to it and while it definitely wasn't my "cup of tea" and I would argue that (imho) it wasn't Disney standards either, it was only 1 experience.

I will be open-minded!! :)

Thanks everyone for the thoughts! :thumbsup: