PDA

View Full Version : first time at POP

waymickey
08-17-2011, 10:56 AM
We just got back from our first stay at POP. while it was not horrible we probably will not go back. It is more than a place to sleep . We found that we would go to other resorts to relax. Walls are thin and you do hear other guests through walls. The towels are thin and the TP is like tissue paper. The food court was fine and so were the buses.

POP is ok but we will go back to WL in the future.

BigRedDad
08-17-2011, 11:40 AM
You cannot compare Pop to WL. It is like taking $2 to a $100 min blackjack table.

Thinner walls: yes
Relaxation: depends on what you are looking for
Towels: Good enough for my needs
TP: We bring our own any way

$100 per night vs $300 per night: There is a lot I can do with an extra $200 per day.

joonyer
08-17-2011, 11:51 AM
. . . . and the TP is like tissue paper.
POP is ok but we will go back to WL in the future.

Uhh, I thought TP WAS tissue paper. :D

disneymom15
08-17-2011, 12:45 PM
I agree with BigRedDad, you can't really compare a value to a deluxe. We've stayed at all levels, but our value stays far out weigh our Moderate(3 times) deluxe (1 time) stays. I'd say, you get what you pay for. Quality of towels are better at the moderates over the values, and the quality of towels are better at the deluxes over the moderates. I guess i've never paid attention to the TP at any level.

retiredfigment
08-17-2011, 12:57 PM
I agree about the savings. This year we went to DW three times because we bought the AP. Would not have been able to do that if we had stayed at WL each time. Guess you have to decide which way is better for you. Also, did not notice a difference in TP, but loved the comment about bringing your own. Can't even fit all my stuff in the luggage;)

magicofdisney
08-17-2011, 01:08 PM
I've felt POP was overrated since my second stay there, but not for the same reasons you stated.

I've also stayed at value, moderate and deluxe. I've never noticed a difference in towels or TP. Maybe that has to do with cutbacks in general? I don't know. I'm not saying one way or the other. Perhaps the deluxe do have better towels and it wasn't significant enough difference for me. I'm also not chastising you because of it. We like, what we like. :)

However, if this particular resort makes your stay less magically, I completely agree you should go where you'll most enjoy. I'm so grateful we have a plethora of choices at Disney. :mickey:

darthmacho
08-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Thank you for your report! I'll be likely choosing Pop for next year's stay. We want to go for 14 days, and a Value is the only way to pull that off. I too think the resort is more than just a place to stay, but the three pools and exploring the grounds will probably keep us busy enough, and don't they have movies there at night?

Anyway, I agree there's no fair way to compare Pop to WL. WL is by far my favorite resort, and seeing your signature, you've become accustomed to WL's high standards. If you can do WL every trip from now on, you're both lucky and smart! :mickey:

In your opinion, how did Pop compare to say, the AStars?

waymickey
08-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Yes I guess it is unfair to compare POP to WL . I guess I was surprised about how different they really are. I did not expect to find the towels and TP to be that different. And to hear other guest snoring was a surprise. Small things make a differ
nce to me. I didn't think it would matter but it did.

Hello My name is waymickey and I am a resort snob. LOL

Tink#64
08-17-2011, 11:49 PM
waymickey, I'm sorry your vacation experience was less than you'd hoped for. That's so disappointing, you plan, & you have hopes & expectations & it's such a bummer when your vaca doesn't feel like you thought it would.

No bashing or disagreeing here, to each his own & everyone has unique experiences for sure! But we've stayed at Pop 6 times & the most I've ever heard from inside of our room is when the next door neighbor lets their door fall against the latch (you know the bar that sticks out so the door doesn't lock - I find that very irritating!:mad: Sometimes you hear it over & over - I'm guessing maybe kids running in & out! Not to say that my DS's have never done it - but then I'm on their butts! Rude people are every where though! Also can hear the showers running some, not bad enough to annoy me, but it can be heard. Outside of those things, I've never heard anything else from the outside or a neighbor! Maybe we've just been lucky.

But I can appreciate your feelings, one disappointing vacation would be enough to turn me off of a place! I'm sorry your vacation was less than magical.

jonahbear2006
08-18-2011, 12:52 AM
ive never stayed pop but ill telly a i did stay concierge at the yacht and beach club and when I was lying in bed at night I could hear the tv in the next room blaring every night. I almost called to complain but thankfully that family left.

WDWCrazyKaren
08-18-2011, 08:00 AM
I think we all just need to remember that you get what you pay for!

If we stay at a value resort, we use our room to sleep and shower. We always request a room as far in the back of the resort as we can, and as far from the pools and main halls as we can. We find that just a few extra minutes of walking to your room (and be sure to request an upper floor) makes for a much more peaceful location. If you have little ones, it doesn't work as well though. Those walks can be long for little legs and feet at the end of a very long day.

waymickey
08-18-2011, 07:28 PM
My vacation definitely magical and I had a great time. I went in knowing that POP was not the WL. It was not until the second day when it was raining all day and we wanted to back to the resort to just relax and get dry. At POP there isn't much to do in the rain. So we went to the WL instead and went to the second floor and sat by the fire. We sat in the lobby and people watched. We had dinner and went back to the MK. That was when I realized that we don't just sleep and shower at the resort.

POP is a nice place but we prefer the WL.

waymickey
08-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Darthmacho- POP was nicer than the AS resorts. Our room was in the 50 building facing the lake and it was quiet( except for kids running and the guy snoring in the room next to us. We did not see any movies at night but it was raining most of our trip.

We are able to stay at the WL for a few reasons.
1. we go every other year not multiple times a year.
2. we go during the WL value season and that cuts the price quite a bit.
3. we usually get 35% off the value rate when available instead of the the free dinning.

These things cut costs and we are able to stay at WL for 10 days without breaking the bank.

shellyc
08-19-2011, 03:49 PM
We are staying at BCV-Studios 9/28 to 10/1/11. I needed a discounted room for 10/2 since airfare was cheaper if we went home Monday instead of Sunday. 10/2 is blacked out for AP discounts at both BCV and Pop, so I just booked 10/1 and 10/2 at Pop. I figure we will be visiting family all day on Sunday, so the two rooms at Pop will be ok with us, and that saves us the $$$ of having to pay RACK RATE at the BCV for 10/2. We have stayed at Pop several times. I even booked a standard room.
We are OK with Pop...