PDA

View Full Version : Letter to Disney Execs Re: Monorail

PawleyPlatoon
08-16-2011, 04:37 PM
I wrote a letter explaining how upset I am with the reduction of monorail service during EMH. The bottom line is that if I choose to pay a premium price for a premium product, then I should get a premium service. If I get any replies, I will post them through this thread. Perhaps if all of us write letters, we can get this changed. Wish me luck and pixie dust! :mickey:

Please find below a copy of a letter sent to:
Walt Disney World Guest Relations
Walt Disney World Guest Communications
Robert A. Iger, Chief Executive Officer
Thomas O. Skaggs, Chairman Walt Disney Parks & Resorts
Meg Crofton, President Walt Disney World Resort
Al Weiss, President Worldwide Operations

Dear Sirs,

I am a huge Disney fan and have been all my life.
I have been a loyal patron of the Walt Disney World resort since 1981.
I am an Annual Passholder and have maintained this status for over 10 years.
I have been a guest at the
All Star Music Resort,
Caribbean Beach Resort,
Coronado Springs Resort,
Port Orleans Riverside Resort,
Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa and the
Contemporary Resort Hotel.
I have recommended the Walt Disney World resort to all my family and friends and have helped them plan their vacations there. I hope that my continuing patronage fosters your appreciation.

I have just read with great concern the changes in operating hours to the monorail schedule, specifically changes which affect travel on Extra Magic Hour nights. I have read on an independent Disney website that

Beginning on July 11 2011, the Epcot monorail service will stop operation 1 hour after regular park closing, and from August 1, 2011, the Magic Kingdom monorail will stop operation 1 hour after regular park closing. This means that in both cases, the monorail will not be able to return guests back to their resorts after evening Extra Magic Hours. Guests will instead be transported by bus and boats where available. Morning Extra Magic Hour service has not been affected. All indications are that this is a permanent change.

I am extremely disappointed in this development. It seems that even though ticket and resort prices continue to increase, theme park maintenance and services continue to decrease. That is, I continue to pay more and get less. This is not the way to reward loyal customers.

The Disney Company is a premiere organization and those of us who choose to purchase its services realize that we must pay a premium price. Even though most of us have to carefully budget in order to vacation at Disney World, we do so knowingly and willingly. My family returns year after year for our primary vacation and we enjoy ourselves.

But when we pay for EMH privileges and monorail service at a deluxe resort and you reduce the monorail service while a park is still open during EMH, you go too far! This decision does not reflect the excellence in service which is the Disney Corporation. If I choose to pay a premium price for premium service, THEN LET ME!

We are planning a very important trip to the Walt Disney World Resort in 2013. We are taking my cousin and his family. His oldest daughter was diagnosed at a very young age of a relatively rare disorder which caused her to have strokes. She has had multiple surgeries and is facing another major surgery later this month to help her walk more normally. Without the surgery, she will lose the ability to walk. In addition, she currently suffers from seizures, speech problems and mobility. One of her wishes has been to take a trip to Disney World. However, her parents could never afford this expense due to medical bills. We have decided to pool our money to pay for a trip for them. We plan to do our best to make this trip an awesome event for her.

Our primary consideration in planning is this child’s mobility and convenience.

We chose the Contemporary Resort Hotel for one reason: monorail access for this child. Yes, it’s more expensive to stay at the CR, but it’s worth it to all of us to accommodate her needs. We can more easily navigate her wheelchair at this location via the monorail. In addition to the wheelchair, it is important that her travel go as smoothly as possible because she can have seizures if she becomes overly excited or overly tired. We are happy to make this monetary sacrifice for her.

Yet, even though we are paying a premium price to use the monorail, we can’t use it when we really need it – at the end of a long day. Don’t you realize that the monorail is the largest factor in your guests’ choosing a Deluxe Resort?

You must consider how this decrease in monorail service will directly impact those of us who would pay the extra money to stay at a Deluxe Resort on the monorail line. With this decrease in the monorail schedule, staying on the monorail line just isn’t worth it. I don’t want to pay for service that I can’t enjoy at my leisure. This decision could cost you much more in the long run than any “savings” you may incur up front. This decision damages the reputation of the WDW Resort as it appears to be a sad attempt to save you a few pennies.

I would like this decision changed for both the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT. The monorail should run until at least an hour after EMH closing to accommodate your monorail resort guests.

I look forward to your reply.

RWR

joonyer
08-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Good letter, but be careful what you ask for.

While folks that stay on the monorail resorts pay more for those rooms (presumably because of monorail access), up until now Disney has not actually charges any body anything to use the monorails at any time, whether they stay at a monorail resort, another Disney Resort or even an off property resort. Free for everybody.

Not trying to defend Disney's decision, but they are probably saving a lot more than pennies per day. They most expensive part of any operation at Disney is labor costs and when you factor in operators, maintenance and supervisory personnel, shutting down the monorail operations for a few hours per night will probably save them hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. I think they could make up the difference by raising prices of rooms and park passes, and still calling the monorails free to all users. People would be less likely to complain about it.

Disney could start charging a separate fee per ride or per day for the monorail use. I won't be too surprised if they do.

PawleyPlatoon
08-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks for your reply.

Monorail/buses/boat transfers are not free. You can bet this is figured into the price of park admission. The monorail resorts provide ease of access to the monorail - not necessarily the monorail itself.

I'm just really frustrated that there is a constant reduction in services and maintenance.
:mad:
Thanks for listening!

joonyer
08-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks for your reply.

Monorail/buses/boat transfers are not free. You can bet this is figured into the price of park admission. The monorail resorts provide ease of access to the monorail - not necessarily the monorail itself.

I'm just really frustrated that there is a constant reduction in services and maintenance.
:mad:
Thanks for listening!

Of course, you are right, nothing is free. But Disney has always been able to call it "free" even though we know it's not, by not charging a separate fee to use it. I just don't want them to start doing that. I think the feedback would be way too negative for them to really consider it. So more likely, we'll see an increase in room rates and park pass prices to cover it. If they are going to provide EMH for resort guests, they ought to provide all the transportation options, especially to those who are paying the premium rates at CR, Poly and GF. I can see them charging extra for EMH access next.

We have never been able to afford the cost of one of the online monorail resorts. But I have always dreamed of being able to stay there someday and enjoy the convenience of the monorail.

DVC2004
08-16-2011, 06:03 PM
It's a good, well thought out letter and for the record, I agree with you. Before we joined DVC we stayed at the monorail resorts frequently. I think it's a terrible move on Disney's part but just another in a long string of cost-cutting take aways in recent years.

I wouldn't expect to hear much from them other than a canned response unfortunately.

Plex
08-16-2011, 07:21 PM
It's a good, well thought out letter and for the record, I agree with you. Before we joined DVC we stayed at the monorail resorts frequently. I think it's a terrible move on Disney's part but just another in a long string of cost-cutting take aways in recent years.

I wouldn't expect to hear much from them other than a canned response unfortunately.

Hopefully if they get enough letters like this perhaps they'll do something about it. We just got back and I registered my complaint with the Contemporary Concierge regarding this, as well as some major bus problems that we had while we were there. I'm planning on writing something to them as well. Supposedly Disney cares, so hopefully letters will help.

gerald72
08-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Great letter, but I think Disney will only listen when people stop staying at the Monorail Resorts.

big blue and hairy
08-17-2011, 08:21 AM
I understand your frustration, but take this into account...

I read on another site that this is beacause of maintainance required on the beams of the monorail. The problem is that there is not enough time to do the maintainance after EMH. According to the other site, the problem is causing monorails to stop and requiring much more frequent changing of the tires underneath.

I understand your frustration, but everything WDW does isn't a "cutback". Do you want to know that the monorail from your resort will get all the way around? If so, just like ride closures, we have to put up with this to keep it working.

:sulley:

PopPhan
08-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Well said, BB&H!!

For some reason, I thought that I had read just that reasoning when they first announced the shorter monorail hours. Of course, people will tend to panic and start complaining that they 'lost' perks, when they could lose a lot more than that if the maintenance isn't completed.....and there is a lot more to the monorail than just the cars themselves....

DisneyDINK
08-17-2011, 10:58 AM

I read on another site that this is beacause of maintainance required on the beams of the monorail. The problem is that there is not enough time to do the maintainance after EMH. According to the other site, the problem is causing monorails to stop and requiring much more frequent changing of the tires underneath.

I've both seen and read about lots of stoppages on the Monorail, people being evacuated from stalled trains, etc. The monorail is a unique piece of aging park infrastructure. You can't just throw money at it to maintain it, you need time too. I don't like the policy, but I understand it. It would be nice to get something in return for the missing service, but what would it be?

big blue and hairy
08-17-2011, 11:19 AM
I've both seen and read about lots of stoppages on the Monorail, people being evacuated from stalled trains, etc. The monorail is a unique piece of aging park infrastructure. You can't just throw money at it to maintain it, you need time too. I don't like the policy, but I understand it. It would be nice to get something in return for the missing service, but what would it be?

Like what? Maintainance is a necessary evil. Things get closed down. Does anyone expect something in return for their favorite ride being down for maintainance during a visit?

Let's look at this from another perspective, during a week-long stay at the Contemporary, you will have one opportunity to use evening EMH at MK and one opportunity to use evening EMH at Epcot. That is based on the EMH schedule here at Intercot. Based on that, there will be a maximum of two times during your stay that you will be forced to use a different mode of transportation. In return, the monorails are more reliable the rest of the time. Is this a huge trade off?

seanyred
08-18-2011, 10:19 AM
I don't have a major complaint about the new hours during EMH (mainly because I stay at AKL-Kidani) But the maintenance is necessary and I do use the monorails during they day. If the monorails stopped working during the day because of lack of maintenance that that would disrupt way more guests then two EMH per weeks.

On a side note I think the bigger issue is the monorails and maybe some of the rails need to be replaced. The original lines are 40 years old already and the EPCOT line is almost 29 years old. Hopefully they have plans to update this stuff because extending maintenance times will only help for so long.

joanna71985
08-18-2011, 10:20 PM
I feel bad, but I have to side with Disney on this one. It puts a lot of wear-and-tear on the monorails to run so often. By shutting them down earlier, this should help them to run better during the day

NY GOOFY
08-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Will the monorail system be running this year during MNSSHP and MVMCP? If they are then it is not a maintenance issue, it is just a cost savings issue.

texas211
08-20-2011, 09:19 AM

I understand your frustration, but everything WDW does isn't a "cutback". Do you want to know that the monorail from your resort will get all the way around? If so, just like ride closures, we have to put up with this to keep it working.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but, i think this is part of the frustration. To me, the quality of the parks (breakdowns, issues, etc) I feel in another 10 years or so, the quality of their product will be at Six Flags level. Some place I visit every 10 years.

wdwfansince75
08-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Okay, way back when....Parks open late only during June, July, and Aug...and Christmas and Easter weeks...rest of year, parks close 8-9 PM...no EMH...maintenance on reasonably new Monorail trains keeps up quality...now, there are late hours almost all year....and EMH several nights a week for EPCOT or MK...monorails older and operating many more hours per year...and Disney makes a wise decision to increase maintenance hours on trains and tracks.... Oh, and I am fascinated that
1. Almost nobody does evening EMH...its too crowded...or
2. Everyone does evening EMH at MK and EPCOT (3 extra hours) and Disney owes them something for making these extra 3 hours somewhat inconvenient.

One alternative would have been to cancel MK and EPCOT EMH's to allow earlier closure of the monorails...but most rooms on site are served by bus from the parks...and there are alternatives for all guests. Personally, I would adjust to the slight inconvenience, and definitely would not let diminish my enjoyment of a Disney trip. Giving up the monorail for a few hours on one or two nights of a trip is a small thing if it improves the reliability (and safety) of the monorail for all those other days and hours.
Disney still works for me. It is definitely not descending to Six Flags level. And the resorts beat any other Amusement Park hotels. Although I would like to see more late night eateries in the resorts....could really stand a decent cup of coffee in the morning, too...other than that, I'm happy!

AndrewJackson
08-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Okay, way back when....Parks open late only during June, July, and Aug...and Christmas and Easter weeks...rest of year, parks close 8-9 PM...no EMH...

I agree. I have been vacationing at WDW since 1974. In my opinion, Disney is running some crazy hours now. Don't get me wrong, I love it. But I worry about maintenance of the equipment.

Back in the day, we would wait in line for 30+ minutes for every line, and 60+ minutes for any E ticket ride, and a few D ticket rides.

We were last at WDW in March, 2011. With the parks opening early, closing late, and with FP, we were able to do all the rides we wanted, take an afternoon break at the resort, and still not wait in line for more than 15 minutes.

In my opinion, if WDW needs to shut down the monorail line an hour after regular closing hours, I think it is reasonable.

And don't forget that about 10 years ago or so, you had to pay for extra magic nights!

PopPhan
08-22-2011, 10:06 AM
For all those complaining about a slight inconvenience on or two nights a week....

What say Disney just take the whole monorail line down for 3 - 6 months to do the needed maintenance (which is very possibly what they should actually do for safety sake!) How would that suit you? At least they are trying to keep the inconvenience to the visitors to a minimum.

This sense of entitlement has gone a bit overboard...much like the 'discussion' when Disney decided to not allow visitors' personal Segways in the parks. Disney provides access/transportation...they do NOT promise what form it will take.

TheRustyScupper
08-22-2011, 10:27 PM
1) I think some people need cheese with their whine.

2) If you book Deluxe SOLELY for monorail, then don't book Deluxe.
3) Simple.
4) No one is guaranteed a monorail when booking.
5) Maintenance takes time.
6) I am sure they will consider going back to the schedule.
7) But, beam work takes too much time for limited hours.

disneykidsince1970
08-23-2011, 05:14 AM
"
1) I think some people need cheese with their whine.

2) If you book Deluxe SOLELY for monorail, then don't book Deluxe.
3) Simple.
4) No one is guaranteed a monorail when booking.
5) Maintenance takes time.
6) I am sure they will consider going back to the schedule.
7) But, beam work takes too much time for limited hours.

very interesting dicussion. But, with all due respect, if you book the Contemporary, I believe that you are indirectly guaranteed the monorail as a transportation option (w/o comment on the hours that it is available).

If the monorail needs maintenance, then this is obviously a non-negotiable. However, they could have publicized and communicated the situation much better. As many have pointed out, "closing for refurbishment" is something we are all used to and could accept fairly easily.

On another note, a question really... I am not up to date on all the details of the EMH but I believe the issue goes beyond this ... What about people with late seating dinner reservations, or simply enjoying the ambience of a monorail resort? After dropping a few bucks at Cali Grill, the thought of paying a taxi to take me to the GF at 10pm is irritating, I confess. On the other hand, in my younger crazy days, when I was leaving Cali Grill or Citrico's too late for the monorail, the bell guys always offered to drive us to our resort so we didn't have to take a taxi! ...even if it wasn't on the monorail line!

disneykidsince1970
08-23-2011, 05:23 AM
btw, I think the letter is great - very well written. :thumbsup:

Regardless of the reason for what they are doing, this thread hilites that the comms surrounding the decision could have been better - at least from the view of loyal patrons (hopefully a highly valued group). ... and hopefully, Disney will see that and appreciate the insight.

:thumbsup:

big blue and hairy
08-23-2011, 12:27 PM
"

very interesting dicussion. But, with all due respect, if you book the Contemporary, I believe that you are indirectly guaranteed the monorail as a transportation option (w/o comment on the hours that it is available).

You are not guaranteed the monorail 24/7. That's like saying since I bought tickets to MK I am guaranteed Splash Mountain. Not if a refurb is necessary. The monorail is your main mode of transportation, but not the only one. If you expect it to continue to be the main mode of transport, upkeep is required.

Like I said before, twice in a week maximum having to use a different Disney transport is not a big trade-off to keep the monorail running.

The letter was well written, just without all the facts.

diz_girl
08-23-2011, 03:49 PM
We will be in WDW this November and this change will affect us greatly. It doesn't just affect people only on EMH nights, but almost every night during non-peak periods. When I'm going to WDW the MK closes at either 7 p.m. or 8 p.m. every night except Saturday night when it closes at 10 p.m. EPCOT closes at 9 p.m. every night. So if the MK monorail closes at either 8 p.m. or 9 p.m. (one hour after close) and I'm at EPCOT and I try to get back to BLT after Illuminations, I'll get stuck at the TTC because the MK monorails (both park and resort loops) have stopped running. That instance occurs six out of seven nights of the week, so it's not a minor inconvenience that affects only people on EMH nights. It's a big concern for my family, as my Dad has had a knee replacement and back surgery, and being jerked around on a bus doesn't help, so we need the monorail as a transportation option.

big blue and hairy
08-23-2011, 04:24 PM
We will be in WDW this November and this change will affect us greatly. It doesn't just affect people only on EMH nights, but almost every night during non-peak periods. When I'm going to WDW the MK closes at either 7 p.m. or 8 p.m. every night except Saturday night when it closes at 10 p.m. EPCOT closes at 9 p.m. every night. So if the MK monorail closes at either 8 p.m. or 9 p.m. (one hour after close) and I'm at EPCOT and I try to get back to BLT after Illuminations, I'll get stuck at the TTC because the MK monorails (both park and resort loops) have stopped running. That instance occurs six out of seven nights of the week, so it's not a minor inconvenience that affects only people on EMH nights. It's a big concern for my family, as my Dad has had a knee replacement and back surgery, and being jerked around on a bus doesn't help, so we need the monorail as a transportation option.
I'm not sure if this is correct, but I believe that the monorail closes an hour after the later park closes. If that is correct, you would have monorail to your hotel from Epcot.

PawleyPlatoon
08-24-2011, 04:00 PM
I just received a very nice phone call from Joan at WDW Guest Services. She conveyed to me that Meg Crofton's office asked her to call me and that she did not want to send me a form letter.

She apologized for the reduction in evening monorail service citing maintenance needs as the reason. She listened very carefully to all I had to say. I asked her how this maintenance requirement has been handled for the last 35 years and she said she didn't know. She said she would definitely send my concerns to the Transportation Dept and reply to Crofton about my concerns.

She said it would only affect monorail line guests on EMH evening hours. However, I told her that it was my understanding that transportation would also be affected from resort to resort. On evenings when parks are closed early, we always have dinner at the California Grill, take the monorail to the Grand Floridian for dessert at the bar at Citrico's and shopping, and then take the monorail back to the Contemporary. I asked her how I would get back to my resort from the Grand Floridian after the monorail stops one hour after the Magic Kingdom closes. She said I would take a bus back to the Contemporary. As far as I know, there are no buses that go from one resort to another. You must take a bus from one resort to the TTC and catch another bus to your resort or call a cab. I explained to her that this could take up to one hour or more depending on how many buses are available. I don't think she had ever thought of this scenario. I suppose there are boats that run between the CR, GF, Poly and Wilderness Lodge, but that takes a long time also.

In addition, I told her that I felt like I was paying full price for a service I was not going to receive.

I was pleased with our conversation. I don't know if it makes any difference, but she was very pleasant. She will email me if she gets any feedback from Crofton or the Transportation people. I thanked her for her understanding.

If I get anymore responses to my letter, i will let you know. :mickey:

PawleyPlatoon
08-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Just received this email:

Dear Ruth,

Thank you for your letter to Meg Crofton and for speaking with me today.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your genuine concern and
honest comments with us. Again, I am very sorry to learn of your
disappointment with the decision to revise the operating hours of the
monorail system. I certainly understand that you want to continue your
tradition of enjoying desserts and shopping in the evening hours at
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa during your vacation. As we
discussed, buses and watercraft (where applicable) will be available to
transport our Guests back to their resorts when attending our Evening
Extra Magic Hours. I assure you that I have shared your valuable
feedback with our transportation leaders.

Ruth, it is my sincere hope your December visit will be filled with many
"magical" memories.

Kindest regards,

Joan Martin
Guest Services
Walt Disney World Resort

iceicebritney
08-24-2011, 04:46 PM
It scares me what is going on at WDW corporate. All these cut backs and changes in management. It sounds like these people are not qualified and never even thought that inter-resort transportation would be an issue. That is sad.:(

iceicebritney
08-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Ruth, great letter by the way and thank you for speaking up for all of us who are tired of the cut backs.:thumbsup:

GrumpyFan
08-25-2011, 05:07 PM
With all of the issues surrounding Disney transportation in the last few years, I'm really starting to think the system is struggling to keep up with current demand. It would seem that the constant flow of guests in a continuing (mostly) upward trend has put a strain on the whole system.
Maybe it's time they start to look at making some major upgrades. Perhaps some newer, bigger monorails. Some newer and bigger ferry boats, and maybe even another method of transport from the parking lots to MK like maybe a direct light-rail type of shuttle.

I haven't made the trek from the parking lot to the front gates of MK in a while, but I do remember it is somewhat time consuming with transferring from your car to a tram, then to a ferry or monorail. I hate to sound like a spoiled next-gen kid, but in today's fast-paced society, this is almost an eternity. I would propose an extension to the express monorail line, with a new station in the middle of the MK parking lot. This station and the line could run at least two new or modified trains with greater capacity. The line would only run during the first 4 hours in the morning, and then the last 4 hours of operation at night. It would tie-in to the current express line with switches that would allow it on/off the express line and into the parking area. During the other hours of the day, the express line would operate as it does now on the existing beam.

Main Street Jim
09-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Beginning on July 11 2011, the Epcot monorail service will stop operation 1 hour after regular park closing, and from August 1, 2011, the Magic Kingdom monorail will stop operation 1 hour after regular park closing. This means that in both cases, the monorail will not be able to return guests back to their resorts after evening Extra Magic Hours. Guests will instead be transported by bus and boats where available. Morning Extra Magic Hour service has not been affected. All indications are that this is a permanent change.I didn't see if this change reflected both the Resort Monorail *and* the Express, or just the Express side. It really shouldn't be an issue on the EPCOT line as there are no resorts on that line - there *are* buses and boats from EPCOT to each and every resort on property (from EPCOT).

If the change *does* affect both Resort *and* Express, you have a few options:

1) Boats to the Poly, Grand Flo, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, and Ft. Wilderness
2) Buses to all of the other resorts
3) Ferries back to the TTC (if you're parked in MK parking).

From my Main Street CM experience, *most* guests are out of the park well within that first hour after park closing. There are very few guests left in the park after an hour.

*However* - as far as EMH (and the Parties) goes at EPCOT and MK...again, you have the above options. And again, I can't say for sure, BUT...the Resort Monorail line *should* remain on-line during EMH - and if it doesn't....I'd do what PawleyPlatoon did and write a letter/e-mail.

PawleyPlatoon
09-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks for your information Main Street Jim! So far my only replies have been the phone call and email which I have already posted here.

Do you have any further details on the exact schedule of the monorails - the resort line, the express line and the EPCOT line? We are going to WDW in December and I am trying to line up our travel plans now. Specifically we have dinner at the California Grill one night and want to know if we can resort hop for shopping and dessert. Any information would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Thanks!!!

PawleyPlatoon
09-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Has anyone else written to WDW or spoken with guest services regarding this reduction in monorail service? If so, what were your questions and what responses did you receive?

The more who contact the Disney company, the better results we should receive.

THANKS!!

big blue and hairy
09-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Why is it everyone understands when a ride is down for refurb or repair, but not this? Twice, twice maximum in a week long vacation this would affect you.

Here's another way of looking at this. If a bus stops running, you just put another bus in service, if there are passengers, you transfer them to the new bus. If a monorail train stops running, everything stops. It is a much bigger deal. If a road becomes impassable,you reroute. If a monorail beam has a problem, the entire system stops, period. Maintenance is a necessity.

I ask again, is it worth two times max to ride something beside the monorail, to have a more dependable monorail??!

Polynesian Dweller
09-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Why is it everyone understands when a ride is down for refurb or repair, but not this? Twice, twice maximum in a week long vacation this would affect you.

Exactly it's twice a week AND only during EMH. Since EMH is only for people staying at Disney resorts and most come by bus there isn't as much demand for the monorail to the TTC. Even before the change, coming back from Epcot and crossing the parking lot, you could easily see that. The MK lots were always quite empty even on EMH nights. Taking the ferries isn't exactly a hardship.

As far as the monorail resorts, if you stay at CR it's only a 10 minute walk, the resort launch has always been much quicker to GF, and for the Poly you can take either the resort launch or the ferry. Lots of folks did that before the monorail reduction. No real issue there.

If it means better maintenance this will be a net positive for very little inconvenience.

Main Street Jim
09-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Do you have any further details on the exact schedule of the monorails - the resort line, the express line and the EPCOT line? We are going to WDW in December and I am trying to line up our travel plans now.

Resort monorail: 7:00am until 1 hours after regular hours park closing at the Magic Kingdom and Epcot.

Express monorail: 30 minutes prior to Magic Kingdom opening until 1 hour after regular hours park closing.

EPCOT: 8:00am until 1 hour after regular hours park closing.

Not real sure how up-to-date this is.

Specifically we have dinner at the California Grill one night and want to know if we can resort hop for shopping and dessert. Any information would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Thanks!!! You just want to resort-hop at the MK resorts? If you can't get the monorail, the bus usually travels in a loop from Contemporary, to the Polynesian, to the Grand Floridian, and then to their destination (water parks/Downtown Disney, other theme parks, etc.).

SteveL
09-27-2011, 11:51 PM
Exactly it's twice a week AND only during EMH. Since EMH is only for people staying at Disney resorts and most come by bus there isn't as much demand for the monorail to the TTC.

Not quite accurate.
This also applies to nights with MNSSHP and MVMCP. The throngs waiting to take the ferry after midnight were unimaginable. After shelling out an additional $250 for MNSSHP, a hard ticket event, waiting forever to get the ferry was indeed a hardship.

crltkcagle
10-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Not quite accurate.
This also applies to nights with MNSSHP and MVMCP. The throngs waiting to take the ferry after midnight were unimaginable. After shelling out an additional $250 for MNSSHP, a hard ticket event, waiting forever to get the ferry was indeed a hardship.
I have to agree with you on this one. The night of MNSSHP the line for the ferry was crazy!!! It took us an hour just to get on a ferry!

PawleyPlatoon
10-05-2011, 03:47 PM
:bump:

Has anyone written to Walt Disney World asking about this change in monorail service? We all want to be kept in the "loop" (sorry, I just had to say it) and want to hear any replies you get!

If you haven't written, please consider doing so. The bottom line is that those paying extra bucks for monorail resorts are not getting all the services they are paying for.

Again I ask, what did the monorail service dept. do for maintenance for the last 35 years? Why this change at this time? What is so different now that has caused this major change in service?

THANKS!!!

big blue and hairy
10-05-2011, 05:32 PM
:bump:
Again I ask, what did the monorail service dept. do for maintenance for the last 35 years? Why this change at this time? What is so different now that has caused this major change in service?

THANKS!!!

My guesses are

1. Increased Monorail use with the extended hours and increased attendance.

2. Weeeeelllll....if they weren't doing the needed maintenance before,it's probably more needed now...

One more time, twice a week max for EMH in exchange for a more reliable monorail. This is a smart trade-off!

princessgirls
10-06-2011, 09:03 PM
The monorail can't run 24/7. It's having problems...

Twice during the week I was there at the end of August, the monorail was DOWN all together!!!!! Getting out of the Magic Kingdom at 10pm was a nightmare with no monorail. It moves more people than you think!!!!

They have to do something to keep it running efficient. Due to the monorail being down and all the extra people and buses needed, it took 2 hours to get back to the Pop.

Shutting it down at a designated time maybe a short term solution for now.
Julie:mickey:

John
10-07-2011, 10:37 PM
You are not guaranteed the monorail 24/7. That's like saying since I bought tickets to MK I am guaranteed Splash Mountain. Not if a refurb is necessary. The monorail is your main mode of transportation, but not the only one. If you expect it to continue to be the main mode of transport, upkeep is required.

Like I said before, twice in a week maximum having to use a different Disney transport is not a big trade-off to keep the monorail running.

The letter was well written, just without all the facts.

Lets lay off a bit there - you don't KNOW the facts yourself unless you happen to be in WDW managment. Everything is speculation.

Just like I speculate this is NOTHING MORE than a cost cutting move. PERIOD.

John
10-07-2011, 10:38 PM
My guesses are

1. Increased Monorail use with the extended hours and increased attendance.

2. Weeeeelllll....if they weren't doing the needed maintenance before,it's probably more needed now...

One more time, twice a week max for EMH in exchange for a more reliable monorail. This is a smart trade-off!

And again - it's YOUR speculation that this "break" makes the monorails more reliable.

I don't believe it for a second. If they are THAT unreliable that taking them out of service for a few hours makes a difference, then a new fleet is in order.

I've been going since 74 - and the monrails used to run till 1am and beyond regularly.

All of this is nonsense. The cutbacks are getting to the point where longtime fans are noticing. If you need maintenence, stagger the trains into the shop, cut back the number of trains etc, but don't eliminate them.

Bucs300
10-08-2011, 03:09 AM
I agree, I think it's all due to cost cutting. For instance I was just at EPCOT this past Sunday and while they say Future World closes at 9 over half of it closed at 7. So I'm sure shutting down all those attractions for the 2 hours probably saves them a good amount of money.

CanadaLovesDisney
10-09-2011, 08:30 PM
We were at magic kingdom in august and 3 nights the monorail went down and WOW was it scary. The crowds were massive and one of the bus shelters was boarded up with green walls so you couldn't see how bad it really was. That was way way way too many people. The lineup for the ferry boat was backed up close to MK entrance. Clearly the monorails could use some serious rehab.

big blue and hairy
10-12-2011, 05:46 PM
And again - it's YOUR speculation that this "break" makes the monorails more reliable.

Right, and your speculation that it doesn't, why is your speculation more valuable than mine?

I'm not being any more "over the top" than other folks John, you just happen to agree with them. I don't. That's what the board is all about! :D

Aurora
10-13-2011, 02:43 PM
We were at magic kingdom in august and 3 nights the monorail went down and WOW was it scary. The crowds were massive and one of the bus shelters was boarded up with green walls so you couldn't see how bad it really was. That was way way way too many people. The lineup for the ferry boat was backed up close to MK entrance. Clearly the monorails could use some serious rehab.

I hope they get all this figured out before the holiday season or it is not going to be pretty.

TinkerbellT421
10-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Just out of curiosity. I remember hearing or seeing something on maybe a disney show about Disney that the monorails cost some astromnomical amount of money to run per minute....I also agree that this is a cost cutting move definitely. If someone knows what that figure is I would love to see it! I thought it was like $1M per minute or something ridiculous. Anyone know?

seanyred
10-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Just out of curiosity. I remember hearing or seeing something on maybe a disney show about Disney that the monorails cost some astromnomical amount of money to run per minute....I also agree that this is a cost cutting move definitely. If someone knows what that figure is I would love to see it! I thought it was like $1M per minute or something ridiculous. Anyone know?

So assuming the monorails run 8hours a day for 365 days a year (I know they run more than that) Your saying the operating costs would be 175Trillion. I'm thinking probably not...

TinkerbellT421
10-13-2011, 05:02 PM
So assuming the monorails run 8hours a day for 365 days a year (I know they run more than that) Your saying the operating costs would be 175Trillion. I'm thinking probably not...

oops, that was supposed to say Mile (not minute). lol!! But I could be confused with them having explained it costs 1m per mile to build it? Eh nevermind! lol

Main Street Jim
10-14-2011, 03:32 AM
That was correct; $1m per mile to build monorail beams - in 1971 dollars. You have to figure in cost of transporting the beams (they were cast in the northwest somewhere - I wanna say Oregon or Washington state, and traveled by train to Florida when it was originally built), surveying land, building the foundations for the pylons, building the electricity substations (the monorails run on 600VDC) and attaching the electric rails to the beams, building the monorails themselves, etc. It all averages out. That's where that figure comes from.

I can't imagine what it would cost in today's money.

Mousemates
10-14-2011, 08:49 AM
That was correct; $1m per mile to build monorail beams - in 1971 dollars. ........I can't imagine what it would cost in today's money.

$5,593,703.70 per mile per the CPI inflation calculator. :)

BrerGnat
10-14-2011, 10:23 AM
This whole situation just makes the Epcot resorts and Wilderness Lodge THAT much more attractive, in my opinion.

TheRustyScupper
10-14-2011, 09:50 PM
For everyone complaining about reduced monorail service while paying bug bucks for Deluxe resorts:

. . . cheese will now be served with your whine.

Mousemates
10-15-2011, 12:05 AM
For everyone complaining about reduced monorail service while paying bug bucks for Deluxe resorts:

. . . cheese will now be served with your whine.

No real cheese will actually be served, for in a cost cutting move Disney will now only offer "pasteurized processed cheese food" with our whine. :)

bouncer
10-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Here's a thought...would you prefer for the parks to close earlier and then have the monorail running hours go back to 1 hour after close? I am talking parties and regular operating hours be say 10 pm max! No more 3 am EMH...That allows monorail to run till 11 pm and everyone back to their monorail loop hotel. Let the maintenance begin at 11:30.

big blue and hairy
10-16-2011, 04:03 PM
Here's a thought...would you prefer for the parks to close earlier and then have the monorail running hours go back to 1 hour after close? I am talking parties and regular operating hours be say 10 pm max! No more 3 am EMH...That allows monorail to run till 11 pm and everyone back to their monorail loop hotel. Let the maintenance begin at 11:30.
Good point. I can't believe how folks are so quick to pooh-pooh:D the idea that a forty year old transportation system might need more maintenance than it did years ago...

John
10-16-2011, 04:16 PM
Here's what I'd prefer - If we are to the point where the system is so old that we need to shut it down early because of train maintenance every night - then it's time for capital investment and to buy new monorail trains.

This whole thing is silly. It amazes me how some are so quick to assume that it's all maintenance related and not a cost cutting measure as so many other things have been lately.

The trains are expensive - yes - but so are buying new busses, boats and other forms of transportation. Given the life expectancy of the monorails vs. say a bus or a boat and the capacity I'd be curious of the ROI of one vs. the other.

I still don't see how late at night - pulling all the trains in off the epcot loop and running at a minimum the resort loop would cause any maintenance distress... and would give plenty of time to get started on those already in the shop.

John
10-16-2011, 04:19 PM
BTW, for the record,The Mark VI started replacing the Mark IV monorails at Walt Disney World in 1989, replacing the final Mark IV by 1991.

That would make the current generation trains 20+ years old. The original beam-ways (not the Epcot loop) would be 40 years old. Electronics / control on the current trains have been updated since the system was first put in use.

BrerGnat
10-16-2011, 04:44 PM
I don't buy the "maintenance" excuse either.

I mean, there are what, 12 monorails? How many can be on the track at once? Probably not more than about 4-6 right? So, they can rotate monorails into the shop that they are not using on the loop and be performing CONSTANT maintenance during the day. Track/control system maintenance obviously needs to be done outside of park operating hours, but I'm sure whatever needs to be done, can be done in 6 hours every night, right? If not, then, yeah, Disney needs to spend some money to upgrade the system or fix it so that there isn't so much maintenance to be done.

John
10-16-2011, 04:50 PM
Yes, they are back to a full fleet of 12 now. Teal was created from combining Pink and Purple and Peach was created with two rebuilt cabs and 4 repaired cabs from the 2009 crash.

Monorail Peach began service 5 days ago.

Any way you slice it - they now have a full compliment of trains. Two of which were rebuild in the last 2 years.

big blue and hairy
10-16-2011, 07:56 PM
BTW, for the record,The Mark VI started replacing the Mark IV monorails at Walt Disney World in 1989, replacing the final Mark IV by 1991.

That would make the current generation trains 20+ years old. The original beam-ways (not the Epcot loop) would be 40 years old. Electronics / control on the current trains have been updated since the system was first put in use.

Thanks for making my point. :D The info I read and refered to, said the maintenance is to the forty year old beams. :D

There are photos of the work being done on another site.

John
10-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Nope. Those beams have been under continuous maintenance for that time and are in better shape than the Epcot loop.

Not buying what you're selling.

big blue and hairy
10-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Not buying what you're selling.
Waddaya, anti-small business?! ;)

BrerSchultzy
10-17-2011, 03:57 AM
So, I'm having a hard time seeing what's so wrong about this. I don't think this is something that is easy to drum up sympathy for. Nothing personal, but to those of us who rely on mid-week deals for off-site hotels, this sounds more like a slight inconvenience than a huge problem.
If this is for maintenance, then all will be well in the future. And if this is a cost-cutting move, then it's probably helping free up some budget space for the Fantasyland Expansion.

But, if you are directly effected, and this changes how you vacation, then I fully support you sending a letter. I'm just not going to sign it.
Now, if they start charging for FPs, or limit FPs to on-site guests only, THEN I'll get the letter writing going.

Aurora
10-18-2011, 09:41 AM
I don't buy the "maintenance" excuse either.

I have a hunch that it's both -- it is costing them more to do maintenance on -- beams, cars, whatever -- at the hours they were doing it. So if you cut hours, you save money, and if you change the time and length of maintenance hours, you save labor costs.

So it is a cost-cutting move that affects guests (a LOT of guests, people, not just those who stay on the monorail line), and you get to say you're cutting hours because of maintenance.

Nothing personal, but to those of us who rely on mid-week deals for off-site hotels, this sounds more like a slight inconvenience than a huge problem.

As far as guest "safety," it sure doesn't sound like that's being considered at closing time. From what people are reporting in terms of crowds for boats and buses, this is more than just inconvenience. The monorail was originally built to handle the transportation needs of the monorail resorts and to shuttle people to and from the TTC, so when you take the monorail out of the equation, it's a problem.

As I said above, if they don't have this figured out by the holidays, they're going to be looking at a crowd and safety nightmare.