PDA

View Full Version : EVC on bus

PEDSNURSE
08-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Hi
Its been a long time since I logged on but we are headed back to Disney in October and we can't wait... DH had a bad year medically in 2009 and is unable to walk long distances now. We are going to rent an EVC but I was wondering how hard is it to manuever on the busses getting to and from the parks? If he could walk, he would but he can't very well and I just want him to feel comfortable and not self conscious about using the scooter in the park and on the bus system.

Any words of wisdom? advice?

disneymom15
08-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Not a problem at all. A few years back my mother and aunt both needed EVC's. Not a problem getting them to and from the parks.

VWL Mom
08-16-2011, 03:35 PM
If he's not use to an ECV, I've seen it suggested previously here that he might go to Wal-Mart or another store where they have ECV's for shoppers to get use to driving and turning.

vicster
08-16-2011, 04:23 PM
I've seen it many times and it doesn't seem to be a problem and the bus drivers help.

PETE FROM NYC
08-16-2011, 04:37 PM
DW and I both use ECVs due to bad knees. She has her own and I rent one from Apple.
When you get to the bus line, go outside of the regular line so the bus driver can see you. Some buses have lifts, some have ramps. A rookie ECV driver needs to get some experience. You are riding lower than most adults field of vision, and some folks will almost ignore you by cutting ahead of you. Too often, kids will walk right in front of you. Watch it as you cross the streetcar tracks on Main St. My wife did a header there, and she has been using an ECV for years. Last year, I went over while exiting on the bus ramp, I guess I was not paying enough attention.
I have found that Apple Scooters gives the best deal, including insurance.
Enjoy your trip!!!

ElenitaB
08-16-2011, 08:49 PM
We all pretty much concur that it's best to rent from an outside vendor if you're not bringing your own scooter with you.

My little bit of advice: if you're not used to riding an ECV, practice around your resort before heading to the bus. Practice parking next to a bench, turning left and right, stopping quickly, etc.

Bring some clothespins with you, and carry an extra poncho (this will only work with the clear ponchos). If it rains you can drape the poncho over the electronics to keep them dry and pin it so that it doesn't drag on the floor or get caught up in the wheels.

When crossing the train tracks in the MK, take them at an angle, not straight on (I gleaned that tip right here).

PEDSNURSE
08-17-2011, 02:01 PM
thanks for all the information. i checked out apple scooters and that seems like the way to go. i might have him practice at the store, that also sounds like something he should try. i think he needs the scooter, he is hesitant to try it.... i think after the first half day, he will change his mind.