PDA

View Full Version : 5people-?2rms atModerate, 1rm atDelux?

amy853
08-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Hey Disney Experts!
I need your help! I'm traveling with my husband and 2 kids (5&7) and my Mom. We currently have 2 rooms at CS, she wanted her own space. I know there can be a bit of walking involved at CS, and I also know that Contemporary can accommodate 5 ppl in 1 room. Do we sacrifice Grandma's quiet "space" for a nicer hotel that has monorail access? What do you guys think? Turns out price is comparable for both.:confused:

brownie
08-15-2011, 09:59 AM
You'll have 2 bathrooms & showers with 2 rooms.

amy853
08-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Good point, but is that worth less walking with small kids?

brownie
08-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Good point, but is that worth less walking with small kids?

We're a walking family, so our kids have been walking to and from school and other places since they 3-4 years old. We didn't even bring a stroller with us (or rent one) when we took them to Disney World when our oldest was 6 and youngest was 3. I'd take the two bathrooms over less walking, so I may not be the best person to answer this question for you.

ktm
08-15-2011, 11:02 AM
I'd leave it up to Grandma... tell her the pros and cons, have her make the choice that best suits her. When we went with my mom, we chose 2 rooms at Coronado over 1 deluxe. She enjoyed her own space - and they had a golf cart that came around periodically to take us to the main lunch space.

iceicebritney
08-15-2011, 11:18 AM
We do multiple, but connecting, hotel rooms on the family trips because at the end of the long day everyone wants their privacy. We usually do a block of rooms that connect at all star movies or pop. Last year we did a connecting block of rooms at animal kingdom lodge and that was wonderful, but definitely not as affordable as the values:mickey:

disneymom15
08-15-2011, 11:21 AM
I would also take 2 mods over 1 deluxe. My mother stayed with my daughter and I a few years ago, she snored so loud that neither of us could sleep. She swears up and down that she doesn't snore.

SBETigg
08-15-2011, 11:46 AM
I think staying deluxe would be grand but with your mother's request for her own space, you might leave it up to her as others have suggested. Personally, I would go with the deluxe for location. But then I've never traveled with my husband and mother at the same time, and I am thinking that sharing a room could be awkward.

BrerGnat
08-15-2011, 12:34 PM
I'd recommend keeping 2 rooms. Grandma's space will be very handy because she may be tired earlier than you, or wake up earlier. Plus, then your DH won't feel awkward if he wants to walk around in just shorts or something, and when it's time for showers and stuff. More room and privacy for everyone is DEFINITELY worth keeping the two rooms. I can't imagine us spending a vacation with my MIL in the same room as us. No way!

However, there IS a lot of walking at the larger moderates. Have you considered switching to a smaller one, such as Port Orleans French Quarter? There are queen beds in the rooms there now, and it's a much smaller and intimate resort. It's also very quiet. I think you would all enjoy it there. Plus, you "share" amenities with the Port Orleans Riverside resort, so that means two food courts, two pools, two arcades, etc. More to explore for the kids and more options for recreation and stuff. Plus, nice boat ride to downtown Disney from there.

MizMissy
08-15-2011, 12:51 PM
I'd recommend keeping 2 rooms. Grandma's space will be very handy because she may be tired earlier than you, or wake up earlier. Plus, then your DH won't feel awkward if he wants to walk around in just shorts or something, and when it's time for showers and stuff. More room and privacy for everyone is DEFINITELY worth keeping the two rooms. I can't imagine us spending a vacation with my MIL in the same room as us. No way!

However, there IS a lot of walking at the larger moderates. Have you considered switching to a smaller one, such as Port Orleans French Quarter? There are queen beds in the rooms there now, and it's a much smaller and intimate resort. It's also very quiet. I think you would all enjoy it there. Plus, you "share" amenities with the Port Orleans Riverside resort, so that means two food courts, two pools, two arcades, etc. More to explore for the kids and more options for recreation and stuff. Plus, nice boat ride to downtown Disney from there.

You know your family better than anyone else, but I agree 100% with the above. Also, I don't know if I could travel with my mom for a week, definitely NO on my DH and my mom together. I'm afraid someone wouldn't make it out alive ... :thedolls:

Also, consider that a deluxe is nice for 2 adults and 3 kids, but I would think that 3 adults and 2 kids might be a little cramped. My one complaint about CR (and this is probably true for all the hotels) but there was very little storage area in the bathroom, I felt like I was being suffocated by wet bathing suits and hanging towels all week.

Lastly, another vote for POFQ - a quiet, small resort. Perfect solution to your walking concerns.

jenperich
08-15-2011, 12:57 PM
I would 3rd a vote for POFQ. It's so small and quaint, and really lovely. It's in a great area, and the grounds are beautiful.

I'm sure with all this being said, you could request a room close to the main buildings, bus stops, and pool.

Good luck and whatever you choose will be right for you guys. Have fun!

wickedgin
08-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Leave it up to Grandma, but I think 2 rooms is the way to go. :number1:

mistybroussard
08-15-2011, 02:26 PM
I have the same situation. Me, husband, MIL and a 5 & 3 y/o. We currently have 2 rooms at POFQ. I would LOVE the Polynesian - but I just think the two bathrooms will be nice. Plus my husband and MIL SNORE...need to return without killing one of them. I also thought that 2 seperate rooms may encourage the kids to NAP (need to return with both of them as well). I'm PRAYING for some kind of discount next year that would allow me to upgrade to 2 rooms at Wilderness - but for now it the Moderate. I have heard that the walking at the POFQ is manageable AND the rooms have Queen beds (another factor). :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
08-15-2011, 02:36 PM
I'll go ahead and join in with those who suggested two rooms at POFQ. We've stayed at all the moderate resorts and if a lot of walking is a concern of your POFQ is definitely the moderate for you. Its very compact, not a long walk to anything, no matter where your room is located. Plus its so very quiet and charming! You'll have 4 queen beds and two bathrooms!

We've stayed at the Poly with 5, my hubby, two children and my mom. While there was enough room for all of us to be comfortable, it would have been nice to have an extra bathroom, and DH definitely would rather his privacy. We were only at the Poly for 3 nights so it was fine, but a week long vacation, especially as the kids get bigger, no so much!

Mousemates
08-15-2011, 03:23 PM
I'll go ahead and join in with those who suggested two rooms at POFQ. We've stayed at all the moderate resorts and if a lot of walking is a concern of your POFQ is definitely the moderate for you. Its very compact, not a long walk to anything, no matter where your room is located. Plus its so very quiet and charming! !

Beyond that you will also have boat access to Downtown Disney (which is nice), two themed pools (with access to POR),everyone will have a little more space (and thus beless prone ot get on each others nerves quite so much--I love my wife's mom in doses, but 24/7 would be a little much) and remember the kids can always "spend the night" with grandma one night to give you and husband a reprieve from parental duties as well.

:twocents:

Tinkerbella16
08-15-2011, 03:36 PM
I would also have to vote for POFQ! It would be perfect for your family and would save a lot of money.. the rooms are newly refurbed and have queen beds now. They did a beautiful job. The boat to DTD is a nice touch to the resort and you will have access to the amenities at POR which is just a 5 minute walk. :mickey:

brownie
08-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Plus my husband and MIL SNORE...need to return without killing one of them.

Are you putting them in the other room? :D

:welcome:

Welcome to INTERCOT!

amy853
08-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks everyone for your great advice! Please keep it coming! I really hadn't even ever considered POFQ, but I may have to look into it now with all your suggestions! I thought the kids would love the pool at CS, but you all think the kids will like POFQ too? They are 5&7. as a side note, my Mom watches our kids for us during the week, we are close, but I think my husband would prob appreciate the privacy 2 rooms offer.

BrerGnat
08-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Are your kids really good swimmers? Are they 100% independent in the water? If not, I think the POFQ pool/slide will actually be better for them than the CS one. The CS pool is larger, but the slide is longer and faster. If your kids are fish, and really brave, then they might like CS better. However, when I was an older kid (12-14) our family stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and I remember LOVING the pool/slide over there. You can use both pools when staying at either POR or POFQ. The pool at POFQ is, I think, very well suited to most kids 5 and 7.

mistybroussard
08-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Are you putting them in the other room? :D

:welcome:

Welcome to INTERCOT!

lol....At least one of them...I dont think my earplugs will drown out 2 folks snoring!

AgentC
08-16-2011, 12:25 PM
We almost travel to Disney with my mom and also have 2 kids (3&5). We just had the same dilemma for our December trip.

I think talking to your mom and explaining the options is a good idea.

We have done moderates w/ everyone in the same room, moderates w/ 2 connecting rooms, the cabins, deluxe with everyone in one room, and a 1 bedroom villa w/ 2 baths.

Spacewise, our preference was the villa, the connecting rooms, and then the cabins.

Experience wise, my mom prefers deluxe and the villas. My husband normally doesn't care if we have 1 room or two. He just enjoys the help with the kids !:)

So whenever I give my mom the choice she is willing to put up with the smaller space to stay deluxe.

As far as the resorts, I have stayed at both CSR and POFQ. Both resorts have queen size beds. POFQ does not have a sit down restaurant, but you can go to POR.

My kids enjoyed the pool at POFQ. Because the are little, the slide there is better for them. The slides at the other resorts can be a bit fast.

My mom is not a big walker and hated the walking at CSR. She like POFQ more, but your mom may be different. Resort preference is very personal.

Good luck with your choice! We ended up choosing the Contemporary because we have never stayed there and wanted to be near to MK for our Dec trip.

jonahbear2006
08-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Deluxe. Deluxe is so much better. I dont think 2 rooms at moderate, or even 5 rooms at moderate, even comes close to 1 room deluxe. you sleep in there for such a small amount of time, so who cares. the amenities and the grounds are worth so much more than that motel 6 with a slide you get at a moderate.

disneykidsince1970
08-17-2011, 06:32 AM
Another vote for the 2 room option... besides more privacy for your mom and hubby... a great point made that the kids might find it fun to hang out with Grandma for awhile!!

My kids are 4 and 6 and we really struggled with the walking/more room bit as well. And I am so NOT a fan of the sprawling resorts (reinforced when we stayed at Saratoga Springs last year). POFQ sounds like the way to go!! Put in an early room request for a prime spot (pool? bus stop? main lobby?) - i am sure that Intercotees can give you great recs on best buildings to request!

And... in my experience, kids will love the pool - regardless of what it looks like...if they never see the CS pool, they won't have any comparison and will be thrilled with whatever is available!

ENJOY!! and kudos to your hubby for a week with the MIL! :)

amy853
08-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks for all the great advice everyone, I think we're going to keep the 2 rooms!:mickey:

MNNHFLTX
08-27-2011, 05:10 PM
From your original post, two rooms does sound like it's the way to go. If you want a room that is not too far of a walk to the main buildings or to the main pool area, I would recommend requesting one in the Cabanas. We stayed in Cabanas building 8B last February and I didn't think the walk to the various necessities (bus stop, main building, big pool) was bad at all. Plus with 8B (9A too) there was a quiet pool, laundry and white sand beach right around the corner.

When you check in, if you don't like the location of your rooms, ask to see what else is available. You may have to wait awhile for them to be ready, or settle for adjoining vs. connected, but you almost always have other choices, especially if you get there earlier in the day.