PDA

View Full Version : Summit Plummet vs Humunga Kowabunga

iceicebritney
08-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Help!

I am terrified of heights. I am debating taking on Kowabunga or summit plummet. I know I am crazy, but I am working my way, with baby steps, up to sky diving in a few years for my 30th bday.

For those of you who have done both, which is easier for someone with a disabling fear of heights?:confused:

Some have told me the landscape at typhoon lagoon helps mask how high you really are on Humunga while waiting in lime, is this true?

DisneyWFan
08-14-2011, 09:51 PM
I've been on both & I give you kudos for even trying with a fear of heights. However there is no real comparison between the 2 Humunga Kowabunga is a set of 3 slides together (enclosed) you go down 50ft @ about 30 mph a kiddie slide in comparison to Summit plummet in which you drop 120ft at speeds of up to 60mph straight down & wide open to see the world around you. Summit plummet is definitely not for the faint of heart. Hope this helps.

joonyer
08-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Try Slush Gusher at BB first. It's not as tall, steep or as fast. If you can handle that, you can do Summit Plummet.

BrerGnat
08-15-2011, 08:37 AM
Humunga Cowabunga is the easier slide to conquer.

However, I'd recommend doing something a bit less intimidating first. Have you considered the Characters in Flight balloon ride at DtD?

The thing with the slides is, the height isn't even the scary part. ;)

iceicebritney
08-15-2011, 09:17 AM
:thanks: everyone for the info! I really appreciate it:mickey:

I am planning to do the characters in flight balloon ride and also parasailing. This trip is going to be an adventurous one where I attempt to conquer my fear of heights!

Humunga cowabunga sounds like the one to tackle first, then maybe slush n gusher. If I can do those and the line isn't too long for me, to chicken out, I'll try summit okummet:thumbsup:

darthmacho
08-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Yeah, I'm really afraid of heights, though it's not the height, but ledges that paralyze me with fear. I can look out the closed window of a skyscraper and not feel fear, but put me near the railing on the second story of a mall, and I start getting the creeps.

Anyway, Summit Plummet was a HUGE challenge for me in 1998, and I vowed I'd never do it again. Nevertheless in 2003, I managed to do it. I vowed never to do it again, but we'll probably go to Blizzard Beach next year, so who knows? :scared:

Mfarquar
09-18-2011, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I'm really afraid of heights, though it's not the height, but ledges that paralyze me with fear. I can look out the closed window of a skyscraper and not feel fear, but put me near the railing on the second story of a mall, and I start getting the creeps.

Me too! I have done the rides all at the top of the Stratosphere in Vegas and will go on ANY roller coaster. The height does not bother me at all. But, if up high on a ledge it's a different story. I seem to pretty much lose my balance. While at the Cliffs of Moher and hiking at Volcano National Park in Hawaii, I would not venture to the edge like my husband CONSTANTLY does. I'll go out far, but no way to the edge. It's so weird - like a contradicting fear of heights.