PDA

View Full Version : Which is easier? 2 & 1/2 or 3 & 1/2 year old?

goofynmd
08-14-2011, 08:20 PM
For those that have had plenty of experience going with kids of all ages, which is easier? Going with a 2 & 1/2 year old or with a 3 & 1/2 year old? Pros or Cons of either one?

Strmchsr
08-14-2011, 08:50 PM
IMO, both ages need breaks and you have to take things at their pace. However, a 3.5 yr old is more aware of what's going on and things tend to be more "magical." A 2.5 yr old us just sort of "there." They can still have a good time, but the magic really starts to come alive as you approach 4.

CleveSJM
08-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Having 4 kids (DD19, DD17, DS9, and DD7) I have been to the parks with about kids of every age.

I'd take a 2.5 over a 3.5 every time. First, 2.5 is free and doesn't count as a body in a room. Take whatever money you'd spend on the 3.5 and use it to make the 2.5's experience super special. 2.5's usually sleep more so it's more relaxing for you.

Don't get me wrong, it's great at both ages. They won't remember anything at either age so from their perspective I think it's a wash. My 2.5's were very into it as much as when they were 3.5's.

The sooner the better is another reason I'd go for 2.5. You never know what might happen in that year...

AgentC
08-14-2011, 11:57 PM
My kids are 3 and 5. I started taking them to Disney World between 6 and 9 months. I think it depends greatly on the child, but here are some things I noticed with mine.

At 2 1/2, my kids needed frequent naps (and had occasionally meltdowns due to lack of naps.) They were also potty training which led to a lot of quick trips to the restrooms.

They loved the characters (but that will depend on the child) and enjoyed most rides we took them on especially IASW. It was easy to take them on rides like POC and HM because they didn't have a lot of fears yet.

At 3 1/2, they loved Disney just as much, but had developed there own opinions of what they would and would not go on. With my son most rides in the dark were suddenly off limits and others became rides he wanted to ride over and over.

Overall I think either age is fine and we had a great time at both ages, but I found 2 1/2 to be a little less stressful for me.

WDWForever
08-15-2011, 09:35 AM
I have a 4 1/2 and 2 1/2 yr old. My older child loved it at both ages. My younger one loves anything Disney and is looking forward to our trip this month. Breaks or naps is a must at either age. I'd say go ahead and try 2 1/2 since you don't have to pay for them yet. :D

TinksGoofyMom
08-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Not sure if girls & boys are different but we took my kids when DD was 2 1/2 & 4. My DS was 8 & 10. She was wonderful at 2 1/2 and now at 9 can still tell me things about the trip that I had forgotten. We went back to the hotel each afternoon @2 and napped or relaxed til dinner. She could then stay up til 11. When she was 4, she made everyone's trip miserable. She threw tantrums when she didn't want to go into a show and made my son very upset. Then she'd turn on dime & say she loved the show afterward. My DH & i had to take turns separating in the parks just to give everyone a break. She also resisted naps at this point which probably added to her mood. By 6, she was a Disney pro and could now give tours and advice if asked. Good luck. Each child is different and I think their current habits and routines are the best guide as to going now or waiting to get past a bad stage.