PDA

View Full Version : First time at deluxe resort, disappointed

CAS
08-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Hi all,

We just returned from my surprise trip to the world for my wife during our 10 yr anniversary. We both loved it, but during the trip I was also comparing the hotel (AKL) to our normal moderate (CBR) and can't say that it's worth the difference in price, even with a really good balcony view.

True, all things were on a slightly higher class scale but not by too much (obviously a GF stay would be different). And to be honest, there are aspects of CBR that I think are done better. Now this could be that I've done CBR every year since it opened.

Does anyone think I'm crazy? Or was I just expecting too much? At more than double the price I really don't see myself going back to the deluxes. Please confirm or deny for me as I hate sounding unappreciative. :blush:

BrerGnat
08-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Well, the AKL and the WL are not too much of a step up from the moderates. Room size is identical to the CBR, so you are paying mainly for the themeing, indoor corridors, room service availability, bell services, etc. Now, I will have to agree with you on AKL. It has its fans, but I am not one of them. Don't get the appeal at all, and I would never choose to stay there. That said, my favorite Deluxe is the Beach Club. THAT is a resort, and it is worth the price tag. Overall, though, my opinion of mod vs. deluxe is that the mods are too expensive for what they are, and I'd choose a value over a moderate if I was looking to save money. I feel like the mods are not much different than the values, but cost way more.

Everyone has an opinion on this matter. At least now you can say you've tried it and it wasn't for you. Once you find that resort that is "yours", it's tough to like others as much.

Melanie
08-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Of course, everyone has a right to their feelings and opinions. Just curious, what about CBR did you find superior to AKL?

We've stayed at CBR numerous times and AKL once. I'd choose AKL every time if I could. We loved it! This could be also due to the fact that we really didn't pay that much more for AKL than we did for CBR (nowhere near double).

I'll also say that for years we thought we'd never want to stay at AKL and in fact passed it over many times. It just didn't seem to appeal to us. When we finally did (after getting a super rate), we all said 'what did we wait so long for?' We are looking forward to staying there again soon!

DisneyBarb
08-14-2011, 06:15 PM
It just depends on what you are looking for! I have stayed at moderates with friends and hubby.. but we stay at a deluxe (Poly) when we are with the kids... we like it because of the theming and ease of transportation (monorail to the MK and Epcot).. also most moderates only have 2 double beds while deluxe have 2 queens and often a daybed.. 2 doubles would not work for us!

I do like the CBR for its tropical theming.. did not like WL because it reminded me of home.. (New England!). Hope you had fun in spite of the disappointment!

CAS
08-14-2011, 06:26 PM
The cbr room layout actually has more usable space and so is essentially bigger than AKL. We both noticed that immediately upon entering the room.

Also, what's with the pool bar closing at 9:00? The only drinks left after 9 are at the stuffy lounge on the 2nd floor where everyone is dressed professionally, talks quietly and nobody is having fun. Bleh. The pool bar at CBR is always alive and everyone seems to know everyone else.

But in general, the atmosphere is very happy and communal at CBR while everyone keeps very much to themselves at AKL.

I think I'm with BrerGnat in that I don't really "get it." We have one of the biggest and best Zoo's in the world where I live so the whole couple animals from long distances and African theming just wasn't anything new to me.

If it costs the same as the CBR then I'd be back, otherwise it was a great learning experience. I will have to try the other deluxes for a more complete view.

DizneyRox
08-14-2011, 06:41 PM
True, all things were on a slightly higher class scale but not by too much (obviously a GF stay would be different).
I would pick AKL over GF every day of the week and twice on Tuesday. IMHO, AKL is the best resort on property, which is partly why we own there. Location MAY be better elsewhere (depends on what you're doing I guess), but everything else I believe to be done better at AKL.

Melanie
08-14-2011, 07:05 PM
I would pick AKL over GF every day of the week and twice on Tuesday. IMHO, AKL is the best resort on property, which is partly why we own there. Location MAY be better elsewhere (depends on what you're doing I guess), but everything else I believe to be done better at AKL.

And I agree with this as well. I have no desire to stay at GF, but will ultimately to complete our desire to stay at every WDW resort. And hey, who knows, we may love it after thinking we never could.

Disney Hungarian
08-14-2011, 07:24 PM
But in general, the atmosphere is very happy and communal at CBR while everyone keeps very much to themselves at AKL.

I have noticed this too. Having stayed at all 3 levels; I have become aware to the level of sociability at the resorts. There are friendly and not so friendly people at all levels. The ratios of them seem to differ at different levels of resorts. :) It may have something to do with the fact that I am not pretentious and wear comfortable clothes rather than fashionable clothes. Or maybe because I am only 5'4". Who knows?

I will say that I choose between the 3 levels of resorts based on what kind of trip I want. If I want to be left alone and have a quiet trip with little to no fuss; I like to stay at a Deluxe. If I want to have fun and be sociable and be around strangers and have fun; I like to stay at the values. If I want access to a hot tub, then I choose the Mods.:)

SBETigg
08-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Sorry for your disappointment. Our favorite thing about our deluxe stays is location and ease to parks, and AKL doesn't have that the same as our favorite deluxes, so we haven't tried it (but do like the look of it). The GF is my favorite resort. I love it there. But no guarantee you would love that one, either. It could be that you're just really happy and at home with what CBR has to offer, and that's cool. It will save you some money, too. :thumbsup:

Janmac
08-14-2011, 09:19 PM
We too experienced resort disappointment but it was the other way around. Our first on-property stay was at the Poly where we thought we had huge amounts of room. Our next trip we were so looking forward to CBR, which had opened the year before. We were completely surprised by the small feeling of the room. There were some other surprises - this far from the trip I'm not remembering anything we liked about CBR over the Poly.

Since then we have stayed almost exclusively at Deluxe Resorts - mostly Yacht/Beach Club and WL- with the exception of when we bring our own trailer to FW. There are two reasons, which Disney is moving to change, that we opt for Deluxe Resorts: queen size beds and a food option alternative to a food court. (We apparently don't "get" food courts - all the commotion makes us lose our appetites.)

We too were on a mission to stay at each Deluxe Resort but WL changed that. As other posters have said, each individual's resort favorite is definintely based on ambiance and location. Or, one man's poison . . .

Thank goodness we have so many options. :thumbsup:

Jan

CAS
08-14-2011, 09:54 PM
It's neat to hear about everyone's differing opinion. I guess there are as many preferences as people. Any aspect could be both a preference and a detriment to two different people.

I forgot to mention that the CBR has a huge food court with more options than I've seen in the deluxes, however has only one table service.

You are right, whichever feels like home is where you'll return to.

CAS
08-14-2011, 09:59 PM
There were some other surprises - this far from the trip I'm not remembering anything we liked about CBR over the Poly.
Jan

Jan,

Although I've never stayed there, the Poly is my favorite so I would likely agree with your statement. If my first was the Poly I doubt if I''d even try any others.

cather74
08-14-2011, 11:00 PM
I have stayed at both cbr and the poly. Hands down I notice the upscale feel of the poly right away. Plus cbr had so many bus stops it was annoying. I don't notice much of a difference between the all stars and the moderates but I feel there is a huge difference between those hotels and the poly,Gf, and cr. Just my opinion though.:mickey:

AllDisney
08-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Of all the places we have stayed at AKL is our favorite. I felt at home there. The room decor was warm, cozy & relaxing.

I can't wait to go back:mickey:

wmdaddy
08-15-2011, 08:08 AM
did not like WL because it reminded me of home.. (New England!).

How does it remind you of New England? It's themed after lodges of the pacific northwest. I'm from New England, and I don't know of any place that looks like the Wilderness Lodge.

Goofy4TheWorld
08-15-2011, 08:26 AM
After 2010 stays in CR, AKL, and Pop, I was disappointed too...

CR was a TOTAL disappointment, but it took my wife and I five minutes at AKL before we turned to each other and admitted what a HUGE waste of money CR was. AKL was cheaper than AKL, AKL has the CR beat on theming for sure, plus it was soooo very peaceful at AKL.

Despite our unexpected love for AKL, neither Deluxe was worth a week of my money so I am sticking to Pop Century unless I give CBR a try (but with multiple bus stops CBR is doubtful).

BigRedDad
08-15-2011, 08:35 AM
Disney Deluxe does not equal Deluxe in the regards of most people that travel in deluxe accommodations. For me, WDW is about the parks and not the resort. The resort is a place to sleep, shower, swim, and unwind a little. Other than that, I am at the parks. Moderate is the highest I will go and not necessary most of the time. I could sleep in a tent and be happy.

DisneyBarb
08-15-2011, 01:19 PM
How does it remind you of New England? It's themed after lodges of the pacific northwest. I'm from New England, and I don't know of any place that looks like the Wilderness Lodge.

I think it reminds me of New England because of the pine trees and general woods feel that reminds me of certain parts of N.E. (my backyard has too many pine trees!). I typically feel like I'm away when its tiki torches, palm trees and calypso/hawainan music, but that just me!:mickey:

wickedgin
08-15-2011, 01:25 PM
I don't think you're crazy. There are lots of reasons people prefer one resort over another. And maybe your expectations were too high. Like BigRedDad said, Disney Deluxe doesn't always align with "real world" deluxe. I love tropical, tiki kitsch theming. The Poly is an obvious choice for me, but I was actually a little disappointed when I saw the rooms. Don't get me wrong, I will never turn down an opportunity to stay there, but considering the price and the 'Deluxe' label, I expected more. (I know the price is about more than just the room, but I think you know what I mean.)

Disney Doll
08-15-2011, 02:37 PM
My parents own at AKL so we've stayed there once with them. It was free so I'm certainly not complaining, but it's not something I would pay for unless we got a super good deal. There were things we loved and things we didn't like.

1. The dark wood and decor seem dreary to me. In fact the master bedroom didn't even have an actual light fixture. Just a couple of dim lamps and the light from the window.

2. I prefer outside walkways to get to my room as opposed to indoor hallways. To me one of the best features at the moderates is the lush landscaping. At AKL we were at the far end of the building and it was just one never ending hallway of animal print carpet.

3. We really missed the lack of a food court at Kidani. We have preschoolers so we don't do a lot of table service dining. We like the ability to grab something quick and trekking to Jambo house wasn't so convenient.

I did however, love the Kidani pool area, the fire pit at night, the animals, and the rooms were super nice (probably because everything was new). If I am paying I will chose a moderate every time (CSR is my favorite). I feel like there is a bigger difference between value and moderate than there is between moderate and deluxe.

Mousemates
08-15-2011, 03:15 PM
lots of this I guess goes to personal preferences....we love the AKL...went back and will likely go again....while CBR was a one and done thing for us.

The truth of the matter is that two of our favorites resorts are the so-called "Moderate Deluxes" (aka WL and AKL)...we love the great grand lobbies and the detailed theming...and each has a restaurant we love. (Artist Point and Boma). We are far more apt to pay the extra to stay at one these resorts than we would be to do a mod...with the notable exception of POFQ now that queen bed are part of the equation.

CAS
08-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Hmm, looking at the room rates at info central I think I was somewhat screwed. The deluxe rates aren't nearly as high as I was figuring. Since we were there during value season 2 why did I pay Almost $400/night?

Oh wait, just saw it was because of the view we requested.

Looking at info central, deluxe prices aren't bad at all compared to the $500/night plus I was assuming they were. I may be doing poly next time (value only of course).

lylone
08-15-2011, 03:41 PM
We stayed at the CB this last trip and were disappointed also. Our room wasn't ready at or near 3p, CMs weren't too helpful, bus service was a pain coming back (had to stop at Swan, Dolphin, and Yacht Club first, and the rooms need some more sound proofing. Even with a "white noise" machine we heard the people talking, child screaming and the TV blaring every night and every morning coming from the next room.
When we stayed at POFQ, room was ready before the 3p time, CMs were great, bus even with Riverside was still not bad, and we never heard room noise at all! And I didn't have the "white noise" machine either.
And we go the same week we always do, so I find it hard to imagine that the BC was busier the same week different year than the POFQ.
I felt like it was a waste of 3 times the money also.

Melanie
08-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Hmm, looking at the room rates at info central I think I was somewhat screwed. The deluxe rates aren't nearly as high as I was figuring. Since we were there during value season 2 why did I pay Almost $400/night?

I'd probably be disappointed in AKL at that rate too. We paid $169/night, and were suprisingly upgraded to a savannah view. We felt our stay was well worth it for that price.

CAS
08-17-2011, 12:46 AM
How did you get it for $169? What discounts do you have? That's what we pay for CBR.

Melanie
08-17-2011, 08:54 AM
How did you get it for $169? What discounts do you have? That's what we pay for CBR.

It was the military rate in January. And you're right, we've paid almost that for CBR as well.

AgentC
08-17-2011, 09:50 AM
I've gotten a similar rate to Melanie at AKL using a FL resident or AP discount.

DisneyDINK
08-17-2011, 10:25 AM
My long-ago visit to the CBR was fine, but far from my favorite.

I stayed in Martinique, which didn't really look any different than Aruba or Jamaica. Staying in "Martinique" didn't feel any more like Martinique than parking my car in the "Donald" section felt like Donald. Know what I mean? The CBR had a bit of a motel feel to me.

I might try the POR some time, but I'm usually willing to spend the extra money for a deluxe since I only go every 2-3 years and it is just the two of us. If I were paying for 4-6 people, air, hotel, park passes, food, etc. then I would definately frequent the mods and values.

Joannelet
08-17-2011, 10:39 AM
It really comes down to preference. I never thought I would stay at AKL....but it is now officially my absolute favorite resort to date! I can't say one thing bad about it and the cast members that work there went above and beyond on our last trip in May. I haven't seen that at a resort in a while.
But it is a matter of opinion and what you look and or need for in a resort. I have no interest in GF. I don't like the feel of the place. (too fancy for me for a WDW vaca) I like visiting it though but just have no interest in staying there with children. Again...all a matter of opinion. :) So whatever floats your boat! :)

CAS
08-17-2011, 12:03 PM
If I were paying for 4-6 people, air, hotel, park passes, food, etc. then I would definately frequent the mods and values.

My reasons exactly. We can't go a year without WDW so our whole family at a deluxe for a week would be upwards of $6k a pop. Unless I get a pretty serious promotion I just can't justify that so the mods are up our alley. I won't ever do a value again though.

On that note, it's interesting that I've noticed we (people) will say there is a big difference between the level of resort we call home and the one just below it. Those in deluxes say there isn't much difference between values and mods but deluxe is a big step up; similarly I don't see much difference between a mod and delux but see a big difference between values and mods.

I think when we get used to one level any step down is very noticeable and inconveniencing. No judging, it just seems a very human response to losing anything we hold of value or expect.

I need to join the military or get an annual pass it appears. Is there a list of all Disney discounts somewhere?

BTW Melanie, if that's you on the podcasts I enjoy your input. You and Ian are a hoot.

RBrooksC
08-17-2011, 12:41 PM
I would rather stay in a hotel where there are indoor corridors. Outdoor landings seem like the cheap beach resorts we would stay in when I was a wee lad going to the beach.

I also like the room sizes, for the most part. The Wilderness Lodge was a little small but was still "larger" than I expected. Also, the location of the Deluxe resorts, for the most part, is much better.

iceicebritney
08-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Also, what's with the pool bar closing at 9:00? The only drinks left after 9 are at the stuffy lounge on the 2nd floor where everyone is dressed professionally, talks quietly and nobody is having fun. Bleh. The pool bar at CBR is always alive and everyone seems to know .

I am with you on this one. There is nothing worse than having to go inside to that stuffy bar at AKL. Everyone looks at you while you are shivering (your soaked in your swim suit) We did not understand this and it was one of our main complaints at AKL also.

iceicebritney
08-17-2011, 04:47 PM
On that note, it's interesting that I've noticed we (people) will say there is a big difference between the level of resort we call home and the one just below it. Those in deluxes say there isn't much difference between values and mods but deluxe is a big step up; similarly I don't see much difference between a mod and delux but see a big difference between values and mods.

again, I agree:thumbsup: The moderates are definitely a step up from the values with their food selections, better pools, and recreation activities. I've stayed at deluxe resorts many times, and I can't justify the cost difference. I'm all about value for your dollar. Some of the deluxe resorts don't differ much from the moderates.

My other thought is that this is a vacation. It is our annual escape to our happy place:mickey: For those of us who regularly visit wdw on a continuous basis, we Iike to do more than just visit the parks. We like to book an affordable hotel with enough ammenities to fit our needs and then splurge on activities and extras that will make our vacation memorable and magical.

jonahbear2006
08-17-2011, 05:10 PM
I am not a fan of WL and AKL. I agree that they arent much of a step and I dont think that the decor is all that "deluxe." I really love beach club and will defend it to the death. It really IS a deluxe vacation. I have stayed at Saratoga Springs and I wasnt impressed with that place anymore than I was WL and I dont care to ever stay there again, honestly. If money were no object and I always had enough points to stay deluxe, I would always choose beach club, grand floridian, or poly. I dont think than any of the other resorts compare to these. If I cant stay at one of them, then I just wanna camp bc I know exactly what im getting and that I wont be disappointed, so that part of my trip is accepted from the moment I start planning.

Mousemates
08-20-2011, 09:30 AM
If money were no object and I always had enough points to stay deluxe, I would always choose beach club, grand floridian, or poly. I dont think than any of the other resorts compare to these. If I cant stay at one of them, then I just wanna camp bc I know exactly what im getting and that I wont be disappointed, so that part of my trip is accepted from the moment I start planning.

When I first read your comment about camping if you couldn't stay at the BC/Poly/GF I first figured :blush: it was just a bit of the over the top hyperbole that is so often found on web boards, but then I noticed your signature and saw you do indeed practice what you preach. :thumbsup:

TiggeRia
08-20-2011, 10:20 AM
It's funny how different everyone's opinion can be! AKL is by far my favorite deluxe, with WL trailing in second. I love the dark atmosphere, the quietness, the view, the smell...everything about it! Poly was my least favorite...the only great thing about it was the location/view. I felt it to be overpriced and the service was terrible. Plus it was a lot noisier. Maybe it's because I travel with only adults, but I like the quieter areas. My brother, who has stayed at all three of those resorts with me prefers the Poly and doesn't have a desire to return to AKL. We're staying at the Yacht Club coming up in December, so we'll see how that ranks in. :)

I only stayed at CBR once and that was enough for me. It was so spread out and I didn't really like the theme-ing. I absolutely loved POFQ though and would return there in a heartbeat! I've only stayed at Pop for the values, and it was nice, but I don't spend every waking moment in the parks and would like a little down time at the resort, so I am usually willing to pay a little more for that.

I suppose it's all a matter of preferences and opinion!