PDA

View Full Version : Ear Muffs

azdisneymom
08-14-2011, 06:47 AM
I am looking for some sort of ear muff to help a child with sensory issues. Any suggestions? Did it really help while at the parks? Thanks.

Disney Hungarian
08-14-2011, 07:58 AM
I was looking for some for my mother, so she could watch the fireworks shows. It was suggested to me to get the foam ear plugs on another thread.

I decided to get some earmuffs instead. Just do a google search for "child hearing protection" There are lots of options:mickey:

Briansmom
08-14-2011, 08:01 AM
Our son has autism and we take an MP3 player with his fave music for him to use when things get too overwhelming for him at the parks. It has worked wonders for us at WDW and at home as well. We still can't figure out why he can listen to 'his' music but sometimes the music at other places tend to put him over the edge. But we learned a LONG time ago to just go with the flow and adapt however we need to! :mickey:

MadMadamMim
08-14-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm a Special Education teacher and in one of my classes we were taught that the earphones drummers use are perfect for kids with sensory issues. It is a cheaper way to get an almost entirely noise canceling head set.

disneydeb
08-17-2011, 07:59 AM
some soothing music in an MP3 usually does the trick for most of my students when we have a loud performance in our school.

I have not used the drummer headphones because I have not heard of them until now. I may try to find some now.

:mickey:

TexansInNY
08-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Having an autistic child who hates loud noises - I feel your pain :mickey:

We bought a fantastic pair - these things have stood the test of time - not only at Disney but at Rave movie theater, football (think bands), they have adjusted and fit perfectly and the kid is not tame with anything....

I am not at the house right now but will update with the brand and name soon - they were cheap and perfect - comfortable - something so small has meant so much!

azdisneymom
08-19-2011, 09:19 PM
I appreciate the info. It helps. :mickey:

TexansInNY
08-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Boy I stink - forgot about this and that is unacceptable - will post tonight.

diz_girl
08-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Try the Peltor/AO Safety Junior earmuffs from the Earplug Store. They cost about $20, plus $5 shipping. My DS4 loves his. I also got a pair for DS 7 months. We'll bring both pairs to WDW for fireworks viewing.

TexansInNY
08-24-2011, 07:53 PM
They are Vic Firth Kidphones Isolation. We have blue but i think they have pink too. they have been great and not really that obvious. he lovesem and they adjust easily. sorry i took so long and for my ipad typing. they are like 25 bucks and we have hadem twoyears since he was four

tinklover
10-08-2011, 05:18 PM
I am going to be ordering a pair for my daughter from Moggies.com* They are $15. she did somewhat ok on our last trip last yr. Her sensitivity to sound though is getting worse, so these will be a MUST for our surprise trip in March.

*Mods, sorry if that web site is against rules. remove the Dot com if needed. Thanks

Disney Hungarian
10-08-2011, 05:28 PM
I bought mom ear muffs and the disposable foam ear plugs for our trip in Sept. She liked the foam ones best and they had a higher Db reduction #. :thumbsup:

TexansInNY
10-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Those Vic Furth phones rule - I am objective (don't work for em) :mickey: He is autistic and hates loud sounds - not just Disney..movies..even this hot wheel track with a loud motor! Best of luck to all of you and God bless!

Mogie
10-17-2011, 06:27 PM
When I was a kid I was afraid of Fireworks. It wasn't because they hurt my ears... but the feeling in my chest from the shock wave of sound kind of disturbed me. I guess I was a weird kid...