PDA

View Full Version : Jim Lewis Head of DVC Fired

DVC2004
08-12-2011, 06:10 PM
I heard from a reliable source Jim Lewis has been fired. That's all I know.

seanyred
08-12-2011, 07:32 PM
I wonder why? Hopefully there will be some solid news about this soon.

Aurora
08-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Ugh. I guess the writing was on the wall for this one. I was wondering how all this was going to go after he was basically demoted.

I had an opportunity to hear him speak at the 2007 DVC meeting and was impressed. I'm sure he'll land on his feet.

restorethemagic
08-12-2011, 11:25 PM
This is 100% true. I work for DVC. Believe me this is a step in the right direction. Jim will land on his feet somewhere, he is a smart guy. DVC is better without him though.

restorethemagic
08-13-2011, 12:16 AM
http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=184698

Since this is not a rumor, and is in fact true, I thought it should be mentioned here.

Maleficent's Dad
08-13-2011, 06:16 AM
It's in today's paper.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-disney-vacatuion-club-executive-ou20110813,0,6823618.story

Maleficent's Dad
08-13-2011, 06:17 AM
Today's paper:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-disney-vacatuion-club-executive-ou20110813,0,6823618.story

seanyred
08-13-2011, 08:28 AM
The only problem I have with this article is that the Sentinel says that Aulani is Disney first major resort outside of the theme parks, do they not count Hilton Head or Vero Beach?

Joannelet
08-13-2011, 08:28 AM
Wow....thats a bit shocking.

buzznwoodysmom
08-13-2011, 09:42 AM
The only problem I have with this article is that the Sentinel says that Aulani is Disney first major resort outside of the theme parks, do they not count Hilton Head or Vero Beach?

I've noticed this statement in several different places. Apparently they don't count HHI or VB. I've always wondered why as well.

Melanie
08-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Would someone please kindly fill me in. I claim to know very little about DVC, but with all the expansion, selling out existing locations, etc., I thought DVC was booming and making Disney lots of $$$. No? Why this firing?

DVC2004
08-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Would someone please kindly fill me in. I claim to know very little about DVC, but with all the expansion, selling out existing locations, etc., I thought DVC was booming and making Disney lots of $$$. No? Why this firing?

Sales are down. It is my understanding they've been declining for a few years now. There are no truly "sold out" resorts. There is inventory available to buy at ll of them. The price increases are just there to create a false sense of urgency to buy now, as are the warnings of selling out. In 2008 supposedly BLT was going to sell out in 3 months. 3 years later it's still not sold out. Sales of Aulani were booming- in Japan mostly- until the quake/Tsunami. Then $8 mill in contracts got cancelled by the Japanese buyers. There's tons of inventory and lots of people who foreclosed or gave up their membership due to the current economic situation. DVC is a major cash cow, but even it has not escaped unscathed from the current reality.

I personally think this has been a long time coming. I have my reasons but I'm not going to go into it. Hopefully the new person can turn it around.

DizneyRox
08-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Lies always have a habit of catching up to you... The rest, as they say, is history...

While I don't think anyone can compete against the current economic downturn, there's a lot of other reasons this is a long time coming.

Basket Mommy
08-13-2011, 02:48 PM
I don't know much about this situation, but I was shocked to see that BLT points are now $150 each. Seems ridiculous to keep raising the prices when there is no demand and plenty available on the resale market (not necessarily BLT points, but other points that can be bought for about a third of what the current Disney price point is). The economy is bad, and raising prices when people cannot afford luxuries at any price right now seems to me to be a bad move.

Maleficent's Dad
08-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Jim Lewis is gone for a variety of reasons, but what pushed things over the edge was the Aulani debacle. He knew all along about the licensing snafu and didn't get it cleared up.

bouncer
08-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Forgive me for being out of the loop...what Aulani debacle?
As far as corporate restructuring...I have seen it many times, but what is Disney doing here? Are these people (last month's pink slips included) casualties of the economy or Disney deciding to "go in a different direction?" How are they looking to be situated once they are done restructuring?

I am afraid that with decreasing amount of "Magic" that the Corporate ones who are left will be forced to worry about only the $$$ and not the consumer...or maybe...the consumers' message is becoming clear: "Please put the Disney Magic back."

Question really is: has Disney interpreted that message yet? hmmm

Maleficent's Dad
08-13-2011, 05:29 PM
DVC is not currently selling timeshare interests in Aulani at this time; in fact they were stopped in July when it was discovered that Disney was illegally selling their timeshare units as they had not obtained the proper (and legal) licensing documents. This could potentially cost the company (rumored) millions of dollars in fines. Additionally, after the devastation in Japan, Disney lost almost all sales from that nation (completely understandable). JL was at the helm for all of this - and that, coupled with his growing reputation for arrogance and ignoring member concerns, apparently led to his demise.

Ian
08-14-2011, 09:25 AM
DVC is not currently selling timeshare interests in Aulani at this time; in fact they were stopped in July when it was discovered that Disney was illegally selling their timeshare units as they had not obtained the proper (and legal) licensing documents.I'm not at all disputing what you say, but I am completely shocked if it's true that there appears to be absolutely nothing in the mainstream media about it. I couldn't find a single article from a credible news source reporting this.

Do you have any more info on where you heard this and maybe a link to a story about it from a true news outlet? Google searches turned up nothing. :shrug:

seanyred
08-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Being a DVC owner I wonder what this will all mean for us owners. I have read on various blogs that Jim Lewis was not a customer service friendly towards the owners. Is he the reason perks have been slashed year after year?

However, from what others are saying it doesn't sound like he was well liked. Lets hope his replacement is a good one.

Also for the sales debacle at Aulani if its true I would think there would newspaper articles at very least in Hawaii. With all the lawyers they have this seems like a simple step that shouldn't have missed, if its true.

Maleficent's Dad
08-14-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm not at all disputing what you say, but I am completely shocked if it's true that there appears to be absolutely nothing in the mainstream media about it. I couldn't find a single article from a credible news source reporting this.

Do you have any more info on where you heard this and maybe a link to a story about it from a true news outlet? Google searches turned up nothing. :shrug:

Ian,
I know it sounds pretty nuts - but it's true. Call your guide and ask about purchasing at Aulani. You'll get a run-around. It's been discussed at nauseam on other boards online (not too difficult to find). Disney is pulling their hair out on this one - It seems DVC has had major troubles on the Aulani "issue." I just sent you a PM on the issue.

Basket Mommy
08-14-2011, 04:38 PM
It's been discussed at nauseam on other boards online

ad nauseam

I'm not trying to be a smarty pants. :mickey: There are so many times I've embarrassed myself b/c no one would correct my incorrect usage of a phrase. I used to call a chest of drawers a chester drawers until I figured out the right term. I didn't know if it was a typo, but just in case...

wildernesslady
08-14-2011, 05:20 PM
I had friends in Hawaii two weeks ago. They took the tour, but the guide informed them that he could not sell to them even if they wanted to buy. I didn't ask if there was a reason given and they did not pursue it as they were not interested. BTW, they said it is amazing!!!

Maleficent's Dad
08-14-2011, 07:36 PM
I just called the sales' hotline & was informed that I cannot purchase at Aulani (those of you who'd like to try, call 1-800-500-3990). You have to tell them you're not currently a DVC Member or they'll redirect you to MS.
Repeating previously stated fact: DVC at Aulani is NOT available for purchase currently.

Ian
08-14-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm going to try tomorrow myself, but I have no reason to doubt what you say so I'll take it at face value.

It does, however, boggle the mind that the Sentinel or another media outlet hasn't picked this up yet. They're usually lying in wait to sling arrows at Disney the first chance they get. What gives??

pox24
08-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Great news... maybe we'll get our free valet parking back.

TheDuckRocks
08-15-2011, 09:55 AM
I just called and it is true that you cannot purchase points at Aulani at the current time. They hope to have them back on the market in a few weeks, maybe even 6 or so. I never was given a specific reason as to why just a general incomplete paperwork.

DVC2004
08-15-2011, 10:41 AM
We're talking about this in in the News and Rumors section...

Septbride2002
08-15-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm wondering if it is because the land that Aulani was built on is on a land lease? These are popular in Hawaii as the tribes that orginate from the islands have a lot of land rights. There are a lot of properties built on land leases there which are usually for 100 year but you really don't "own" the property that the buildings are built on. And when the lease is up I have no idea what happens...

Again this is just speculation with my extremely limited knowledge on ownership in Hawaii and should not be taken as fact.

MinnieMommie
08-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Global Sales Leader Claire Bilby Named to Top Disney Vacation Club Role

Disney Vacation Club is pleased to welcome seasoned Disney leader Claire Bilby as its new Senior Vice President, with responsibility for all aspects of the business.

Claire succeeds Jim Lewis, who left the company after serving as its president since 2006.

Claire has a distinguished history with Disney, starting in marketing at Walt Disney World Resort in 1988 and taking increasing levels of executive responsibility with the company in Florida, California and around the globe.

She recently served as Senior Vice President of Distribution Marketing and Asia Pacific Sales for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Among her responsibilities were leading all sales channel marketing for Walt Disney World Resort, Disneyland Resort, Disney Cruise Line, Walt Disney Travel Company, Adventures by Disney and Disney Institute. She also served as the top sales leader for Disney Destinations' Asia Pacific Region, with responsibilities for Hong Kong Disneyland, Disney's regional sales office in Tokyo and sales offices in Australia and China. Most recently, Claire led the sales organization at Disneyland Resort Paris on a temporary assignment.

"Claire brings to Disney Vacation Club an impressive track record in global sales, as well as an inspirational leadership style and innovative thinking," said Karl L. Holz, President of New Vacation Operations and Disney Cruise Line, and whose responsibilities include Disney Vacation Club.

Claire's many accomplishments include helping to launch several Disney theme parks and serving as a key leader in the milestone 50th anniversary celebration for Disneyland Resort.

MinnieMommie
08-15-2011, 08:58 PM
The above post is from an email I just this moment received from DVC to members. I have been following this thread since it started. Very interesting and a nice jump on the story. I hope the above post will add helpful information. Will be interesting to read all of your insights about this announcement. :mickey:

brownie
08-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Disney halts sales and fires executives amid financial issues with Hawaiian resort
By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel

9:33 PM EDT, August 15, 2011

Financial issues with a new Walt Disney Co. resort scheduled to open this month in Hawaii prompted the company to suspend all time-share sales for the project and force out three executives, including the president of its Celebration-based time-share business, according to several people familiar with the events.

Disney on Friday fired Jim Lewis, president of Disney Vacation Club, the company's time-share division. The company also dismissed Jim Heaney, senior vice president and chief financial officer of Disney Cruise Line and travel operations, and Lawrence Smith, a former director of finance for Disney Vacation Club who was most recently with food-and-beverage operations for Walt Disney World.

The dismissals followed an internal investigation into problems surrounding Aulani, an estimated $850 million hotel and time share scheduled to open Aug. 29 on the Hawaiian island of Oahu. Plans call for the resort to have 460 Disney Vacation Club time shares and 359 conventional hotel rooms.

Disney said Monday evening it had appointed Claire Bilby, a 23-year company veteran who had most recently been senior vice president of distribution marketing and Asia Pacific sales, to run its time-share business. Bilby's title will be senior vice president of Disney Vacation Club.

According to the people familiar with details of the investigation, it focused on the annual dues that Disney Vacation Club plans to charge buyers of Aulani time shares. Those yearly fees are used to cover ongoing expenses such as the resort's maintenance and repairs.

Those people said Disney concluded that Vacation Club executives had calculated dues amounts so low that they would not generate enough money to cover the cost of maintaining Aulani. The inadequate dues amounts were included in legal-disclosure documents submitted to the Hawaiian government.

Disney said Aulani's operating costs were underestimated, leading to the inadequate annual dues. It said the mistake was unintentional.

The low fees prompted concerns within the company that Aulani would eventually face a significant operating shortfall, the people familiar with the investigation said. The company also feared the possibility of a brand-damaging backlash from Hawaiian regulators or consumers should Disney attempt to significantly raise Aulani's annual dues in future years to plug any deficit.

All of the people familiar with the events spoke only on the condition that they not be identified because of the sensitivity of the issue.

Disney suspended Aulani sales on July 9, a little more than one year after it started selling the project to consumers. The company says it is accepting "deposit reservations" in the interim from buyers who wish to lock in current Aulani prices, though there is no penalty for consumers who cancel such reservations.

Rena Langley, a spokeswoman for Disney, said the company is now in the process of changing the registration materials submitted to the Hawaiian government and that it expects to file the updated documents this week. She said the changes involve "adjustments to our annual dues forecast for Aulani."

Disney's initial sales materials stated that the 2011 annual dues for Aulani would be $4.31 for every "point" purchased, or $689.60 a year based on 160 points, which Disney says is the minimum amount for new Vacation Club members. (Disney Vacation Club sells points, rather than specific time periods, which allows buyers to redeem them at various times and destinations.)

Langley said buyers who have already purchased points in Aulani will get a credit toward their annual dues equal to the difference between the original quoted amount and whatever higher price Disney sets now. She declined to say how many people have bought into Aulani so far.

All time-share developers face pressure to keep maintenance fees as low as possible in order to drive sales. While such fees may seem a trifling issue when compared with the upfront sticker price of a time share — which can cost $50,000 or more — they can nonetheless be a significant deterrent for buyers.

A 2009 survey for the American Resort Development Association, the time-share industry trade group, found that one in four recent time-share buyers cited annual maintenance fees as a top reason they had been hesitant about purchasing a time share.

Tammie Kaufman, a professor in the University of Central Florida's Rosen College of Hospitality Management, said many buyers are wary because dues are a recurring expense that can increase from year to year.

"It's because of the unknown. People have heard horror stories" about dues, Kaufman said.

Aulani's performance is being closely watched by Disney investors. The project is the first test of the company's strategy to build standalone hotels and niche parks in secondary markets away from its massive theme-park resorts in Orlando and Anaheim, Calif., as Disney's parks division searches for new sources of growth in North America.

None of the three executives fired Friday received a severance package, according to a person who spoke with one of the men.

The dismissal marks a shocking fall for Jim Lewis, once considered a rising star within Disney's executive ranks and a leading candidate to become president of Walt Disney World, the company's biggest and most profitable theme-park operation.

Lewis joined Disney in 1996 from PepsiCo as a director of planning and finance for Disney's sales unit. He was tapped to oversee Disney Vacation Club in 2003, and under his watch the unit became the fastest-growing business within Disney's global theme-park division. At its peak before the global recession, Disney Vacation Club generated an estimated $190 million a year in operating income.

Lewis did not return phone messages Monday.

Disney's decision to force Heaney out in addition to Lewis stunned several company followers. The finance executive was highly regarded both inside and outside of Disney; he had earned the nickname "The Brain" from some fellow executives.

"I am very proud of my accomplishments and how I conducted business during my 16-plus years with Disney," Heaney said. "Given this track record, I am bewildered by the company's decision."

Smith could not be reached for comment.

The Aulani paralysis has frustrated some Disney customers. William Montgomery, a 37-year-old business owner from Dallas, said he called Disney on July 27 planning to buy into Aulani — only to be told by the sales agent that he couldn't.

"And so I said, 'What's the deal?' He got real cryptic, real fast. … All he would say is there was something wrong in the documentation and that the Disney lawyers had stopped everything," said Montgomery, who also owns an interest in a Disney time share in Orlando. "It's the damndest thing. I mean, Disney won't take your money."

DizneyFreak2002
08-15-2011, 10:24 PM
This is pretty embarassing... Pie on the face... Unbelievable a company as large as Disney, with the high paid lawyer brigade didn't know the laws in Hawaii... Utter failure...

seanyred
08-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Intresting article. I also received the e-mail from DVC tonight. Not sure what to make of all this yet. It seems like this is mistake that shouldn't have been made.

Ed
08-16-2011, 12:36 AM
This is getting "interestinger and interestinger". I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop. I suspect there's more to come.

Aurora
08-16-2011, 02:07 AM
Does anyone else think this smells fishy? I'm no conspiracy theorist, but this just sounds way too cut and dried. And also unlikely. Aulani's dues didn't seem off-base, considering the dues at other properties. It's not DVC's first oceanfront property, and Oahu is actually a less likely target for hurricanes than the properties in Orlando.

As Hamm in "Toy Story" said, something's screwy here. I hope this isn't a big setup to increase dues across the board.

Ian
08-16-2011, 07:47 AM
I don't know ... $4.31 per point at an oceanfront resort seems pretty cheap to me.

I don't have all the figures in front of me for the other two beach resorts (Vero and HHI), but I know for a fact that in 2011 HHI is $5.68 per point for maintenance and Vero is a whopping $6.78. Vero is like almost 160% of what they were going to charge for Aulani.

Now I don't know how they all compare size wise, number of points, number of rooms, etc. but I do know that $4.31 per point would have made Aulani the 3rd cheapest DVC resort in terms of dues behind only BLT and the Grand Californian in Disneyland.

That seems odd for a beachfront resort in Hawaii, where everything is very expensive to begin with.

DizneyFreak2002
08-16-2011, 10:53 AM
This is getting "interestinger and interestinger". I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop. I suspect there's more to come.

I am with you... I think there is more too it, especially since a few other upper management people were canned right along with Lewis...

This situation was the straw that broke the camels back... there is more to it, for sure...

Aurora
08-16-2011, 11:40 AM
I don't know ... $4.31 per point at an oceanfront resort seems pretty cheap to me.

I don't have all the figures in front of me for the other two beach resorts (Vero and HHI), but I know for a fact that in 2011 HHI is $5.68 per point for maintenance and Vero is a whopping $6.78. Vero is like almost 160% of what they were going to charge for Aulani.

Now I don't know how they all compare size wise, number of points, number of rooms, etc. but I do know that $4.31 per point would have made Aulani the 3rd cheapest DVC resort in terms of dues behind only BLT and the Grand Californian in Disneyland.

That seems odd for a beachfront resort in Hawaii, where everything is very expensive to begin with.

True, but don't forget it's brand new, and they usually start out pretty low as a new resort. Although VB and HH are fairly high now, Vero's dues only went up to $4.36 when it was eight years old (in 2003) and HH was $4.34 in 2006, also when the resort was eight years old.

These resorts have to worry a lot more about hurricanes (Vero was hit hard by Frances and Jeanne in 2004, forcing resort closings to repair damage). They can levy a special assessment to deal with this, but they didn't do this at Vero because insurance covered the damages. However Vero, and to a lesser degree, HH, will continue to be higher hurricane risks.

My "funny feelers" went up because even though Aulani's dues may seem relatively low for Hawaii, they'd want them to be low at least for the first few years, when they are looking for owners and maintenance costs are the lowest they'll ever be. It sounds more like they're running scared because they expected Japan to be a huge market, and the earthquake/tsunami disasters took care of that for awhile. If you don't have those buyers, you don't have people paying dues.

Just my theories.

brownie
08-16-2011, 01:02 PM
Veteran sales executive picked to run Disney's time-share business

By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel

11:10 AM EDT, August 16, 2011

The new head of Walt Disney Co.'s time-share business is a veteran sales executive who has steered company sales programs from Orlando to Paris to Hong Kong during a 23-year career with Disney.

Claire Bilby was appointed Monday evening to senior vice president in charge of Disney Vacation Club, assuming responsibility for all aspects of Disney's Celebration-based time-share unit.

Disney announced the appointment 72 hours after firing former Disney Vacation Club President Jim Lewis, who was forced out Friday along with two other executives amid financial turmoil at Aulani, the estimated $850 million hotel and time share scheduled to open later this month in Hawaii. Read more on The Daily Disney.

"Claire brings to Disney Vacation Club an impressive track record in global sales, as well as an inspirational leadership style and innovative thinking," Karl Holz, president of New Vacation Operations and Disney Cruise Line, said in a memo to Disney Vacation Club employees. "Her many accomplishments include helping to launch several Disney theme parks around the world and serving as a key leader in the successful 50th anniversary celebration for Disneyland Resort."

Bilby began her career with Disney in marketing at Walt Disney World in 1998. Ten years later, she moved to the West Coast to become senior vice president of sales and distribution marketing for Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif.

She moved back to Orlando in 2009 to become senior vice president of distribution marketing and Asia Pacific sales. In that post, she lead travel-industry sales for Disney's domestic parks businesses, including Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line and Adventures By Disney. She also served as the top sales leader for Asia for Disney's consumer-marketing business, with responsibilities for Hong Kong Disneyland and sales offices in Tokyo, Australia and China.

Bilby was most recently on a temporary assignment leading the sales organization at Disneyland Paris.

She now takes charge of a time-share business with more than 475,000 individual owners and 4,000 employees. Disney Vacation Club generated an estimated $190 million an annual operating profit before the global recession, though the economic downturn dented sales.

It is a challenging period for Disney Vacation Club. Aulani, the Hawaiian resort that will include 460 time shares in addition to 359 hotel rooms, is scheduled to open in less than two weeks. Disney has yet to resume sales for the project since suspending them in early July.

Disney Vacation Club is still peddling interests in a pair of Orlando resorts — Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas and Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa — even as the company moves forward with an addition to the upscale Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, which is also expected to include time shares.

Maleficent's Dad
08-16-2011, 02:41 PM
I am with you... I think there is more too it, especially since a few other upper management people were canned right along with Lewis...

This situation was the straw that broke the camels back... there is more to it, for sure...

There is a lot more about the situation which will never be reported in the papers - because it's all hearsay and nobody official will go on the record with it.

The long and short of it is that there were several mitigating factors leading to JL's demise.
He started out as a very well respected business man - he was a good communicator. As his 'power' grew, so did his arrogance. He hired/appointed people(s) who were not qualified or well-suited for their jobs & positions. Whereas he initially listened to, and responded to, Member concerns, he soon dried up and ignored what the "membership" said. It was a slow climb, but JL eventually did it to himself.

Just some examples:
Poor communication with members: at the Boardwalk (like many other DVC resorts), valet parking was free - well when that changed, membership wasn't informed in a speedy manner. So if you were valet parked at the BW when the change occurred, you were CHARGED for you parking, even if you parked it prior to the changes.

Elimination of Perks: Sure the $100 discount on an AP is great. But it's been that way for what, 7 years? I can assure you that the discount was a far greater savings (percentage-wise) when it first came out than it is now. As that price keeps rising, shouldn't we see something better of a discount? Then you have the valet parking issue...

Dee Vee See (Cee?) Not sure what most on here feel about her, but I can assure you, most of the membership is insulted by her - is this how JL views the membership? Loud, obnoxious, cheesy, and a bit, shall we say, ignorant? I don't mind Miss Dee Vee See, but she ain't a popular figure.

Housekeeping "cuts" While most CM's, including housekeepers, do a good job, the budget for housekeeping at DVC has been cut severely under JL's watch. That is why DVC resorts have some of the highest percentage of complaints for room problems (un-cleaned, un-kept). We pay a LOT of money for these services, and the housekeeping department has been stretched so thin that many common duties have to be overlooked.

Cost Cutting on new Construction - Okay, I cannot verify this on a personal level as I've never stayed, but apparently JL used the cheapest materials and contractors when building BLT. I don't know this as a fact, just writing what I read (and I do research before posting). The "word on the street" is that BLT owners will suffer a few years down the road when the poor construction starts to deteriorate before it realistically should - meaning dues will skyrocket.

Anyone remember the styrofoam cup and plastic plate fiasco a few years back? Thank JL for that brilliant idea. That was one time when membership spoke up SO loud that he had no choice but to listen. And what about him soliciting membership to donate to the timeshare organization that he presided over?!?!

Now I'm not saying our new president will be any better than JL. After all, Disney loves penny-pinchers who make the company money, but I am hoping that she returns the bright shine and luster to DVC.

seanyred
08-16-2011, 11:40 PM
There is a lot more about the situation which will never be reported in the papers - because it's all hearsay and nobody official will go on the record with it.

The long and short of it is that there were several mitigating factors leading to JL's demise.
He started out as a very well respected business man - he was a good communicator. As his 'power' grew, so did his arrogance. He hired/appointed people(s) who were not qualified or well-suited for their jobs & positions. Whereas he initially listened to, and responded to, Member concerns, he soon dried up and ignored what the "membership" said. It was a slow climb, but JL eventually did it to himself.

Just some examples:
Poor communication with members: at the Boardwalk (like many other DVC resorts), valet parking was free - well when that changed, membership wasn't informed in a speedy manner. So if you were valet parked at the BW when the change occurred, you were CHARGED for you parking, even if you parked it prior to the changes.

Elimination of Perks: Sure the $100 discount on an AP is great. But it's been that way for what, 7 years? I can assure you that the discount was a far greater savings (percentage-wise) when it first came out than it is now. As that price keeps rising, shouldn't we see something better of a discount? Then you have the valet parking issue...

Dee Vee See (Cee?) Not sure what most on here feel about her, but I can assure you, most of the membership is insulted by her - is this how JL views the membership? Loud, obnoxious, cheesy, and a bit, shall we say, ignorant? I don't mind Miss Dee Vee See, but she ain't a popular figure.

Housekeeping "cuts" While most CM's, including housekeepers, do a good job, the budget for housekeeping at DVC has been cut severely under JL's watch. That is why DVC resorts have some of the highest percentage of complaints for room problems (un-cleaned, un-kept). We pay a LOT of money for these services, and the housekeeping department has been stretched so thin that many common duties have to be overlooked.

Cost Cutting on new Construction - Okay, I cannot verify this on a personal level as I've never stayed, but apparently JL used the cheapest materials and contractors when building BLT. I don't know this as a fact, just writing what I read (and I do research before posting). The "word on the street" is that BLT owners will suffer a few years down the road when the poor construction starts to deteriorate before it realistically should - meaning dues will skyrocket.

Anyone remember the styrofoam cup and plastic plate fiasco a few years back? Thank JL for that brilliant idea. That was one time when membership spoke up SO loud that he had no choice but to listen. And what about him soliciting membership to donate to the timeshare organization that he presided over?!?!

Now I'm not saying our new president will be any better than JL. After all, Disney loves penny-pinchers who make the company money, but I am hoping that she returns the bright shine and luster to DVC.

I must say as a newer owner one of things that I find shocking regarding the perks is that the AP discount has stayed the same, even when the price keeps going up year after year. You'd think a little bump here and there would be good for AP sales.

Regarding Dee Vee Cee, I couldn't stand that character from the minute I saw her. It lacked class. Just because this is Disney doesn't mean everything has to be a pun or joke. I hope her days her numbered

As for BLT, I have never stayed there but your comment made me think about the Studios at BLT and how they are in the process of fixing the stupid design of having your bathroom sink in the same nook as your kitchenette.

I hope that the new president makes improvements on the mistakes that were made without sacrificing our quality as owners.

Melanie
08-16-2011, 11:49 PM
Please explain Miss Dee Vee Cee to those of us not in the loop. Thanks!

DizneyFreak2002
08-17-2011, 01:12 AM
MD, can i call you that??? Great post!!! I never really thought about it until now... I always thought the $100 off was nice for the annual pass, but yes, the discount should go up as prices rise...

I was not affected by the plastic vs. paper fiasco...

Communication was terrible, I admit.. I wrote him a letter one time about something I experienced when buying my DVC, and never got any kind of contact back from his office or DVC... We obviously were only dollar signs to him....

I never experienced a dirty room... knock on wood..

As for ms. Dee Vee Cee, she reminded me of trailer park trash... That is what he obviously though of DVC members...

DizneyFreak2002
08-17-2011, 01:15 AM

Dee Vee Cee is the "unoffical" official mascot, I guess is how I woulds describe her... She had an article in the Disney Files magazine... Not sure if she ever did appearances....I never attended any DVC gatherings or owner meetings... I found a picture of her on Google Images from a Disney's Doorway to Dreams presentation... Didn't want to post the link since it is to flickr...

Maleficent's Dad
08-17-2011, 07:20 AM
Melanie,
Dee Vee Cee is a CM who "represents" a typical DVC Member. She used to have a YouTube site as well as a forum in DisneyFiles. Not sure what the status is on either of those two areas, presently. She also, usually, helps to "host" Welcome Home Wednesdays.

The reality is that, while she doesn't bother me personally, a lot of the membership find her insulting. If she represents us, it is insulting, I guess. She is harsh, loud, obnoxious, etc...

On a related note, the woman portraying her is a regular CM who is also a performer on Sunset BLVD in DHS as well as on Main St in the MK. So if her position as Dee Vee Cee was to be eliminated, she would, in all likelihood, still be employed (she is pretty talented, I can state that as a fact).

If you google "miss dee vee cee" you can find pics and vids of her in abundance.

Maleficent's Dad
08-17-2011, 07:26 AM
The following is an official DVC (thus Disney) website, so I trust that it is okay to post the link. Apologies if this is a violation.

http://www.deevypacksherbags.com/

Ian
08-17-2011, 08:08 AM
I never really thought about it until now... I always thought the $100 off was nice for the annual pass, but yes, the discount should go up as prices rise...You're right ... I never thought of that either. If you consider it as a percentage off the purchase then yeah the discount should go up when the price of the pass goes up.

I mean don't get me wrong, I appreciate the $100 discount and do realize that they're not contractually obligated to give us even that, but ....

Here's what I find really, really strange, though, and as an owner quite concerning. If, in fact, the news is correct and DVC sales have been very sluggish in this economy (which quite frankly I accept as truth after looking at resale prices!), why and how has DVC responded by raising prices through the roof and essentially trying to "trick" people into thinking the resorts were going to sell out?

Number one, that seems like a lousy sales tactic to position you for success in a down market. Basically all they did was try and conjure up fake demand out of nowhere. Shouldn't they instead be offering deep discounts and better incentives to prospective buyers??? That's how every other business has responded, including their own Parks and Resorts division!

And even worse, it feels borderline criminal to me. Very shady at the absolute best. Any idiot can look at the disparity between DVC resale prices for BLT (an average of $97 per point through our resale partner Timeshare Store) and the $150 per point Disney is charging and realize immediately that something is serious out of whack.

How was that allowed by senior management? Where's the control??

DizneyFreak2002
08-17-2011, 11:31 AM
You're right ... I never thought of that either. If you consider it as a percentage off the purchase then yeah the discount should go up when the price of the pass goes up.

I mean don't get me wrong, I appreciate the $100 discount and do realize that they're not contractually obligated to give us even that, but ....

Here's what I find really, really strange, though, and as an owner quite concerning. If, in fact, the news is correct and DVC sales have been very sluggish in this economy (which quite frankly I accept as truth after looking at resale prices!), why and how has DVC responded by raising prices through the roof and essentially trying to "trick" people into thinking the resorts were going to sell out?

Number one, that seems like a lousy sales tactic to position you for success in a down market. Basically all they did was try and conjure up fake demand out of nowhere. Shouldn't they instead be offering deep discounts and better incentives to prospective buyers??? That's how every other business has responded, including their own Parks and Resorts division!

And even worse, it feels borderline criminal to me. Very shady at the absolute best. Any idiot can look at the disparity between DVC resale prices for BLT (an average of $97 per point through our resale partner Timeshare Store) and the $150 per point Disney is charging and realize immediately that something is serious out of whack.

I keep hearing BLT is due to sell out by end of summer... And I get emails and mailing saying QUICK, ADD ON BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE... Of course, I hve no way to verify if BLT is in fact due to sell out... If not, and they are sending this kind of marketing out, then, while not against the law, it borders on unethical and potentially false advertising...

That's why I believe there is more too it than just a screw up with Hawaii... While that situation is pie on the face and embarassing, I don't think Disney would have dropped the hammer on the DVC President, more likely the lower person on the totem pole who failed to follow state law would be the fall person... And since a few other top VPs were escorted out by security along with Jim Lewis, well, that proves more to the story...

Malefiecent's Dad's post hits a few nails on the head... I think things go even deeper... The Hawaii fiasco was the final nail in the coffin...

I know nothing about the new lady in charge... I hope she cares more about the DVC members than Jim lewis did (apparently he didn't)...

Aurora
08-17-2011, 11:58 AM
...Any idiot can look at the disparity between DVC resale prices for BLT (an average of $97 per point through our resale partner Timeshare Store) and the $150 per point Disney is charging and realize immediately that something is serious out of whack.

Probably depends on a few things: The number of prospective buyers who don't realize you can buy DVC resale, and the number who want to be able to use their points to stay at non-DVC Disney properties.

I can't imagine there wouldn't have been focus groups on the limit for what people would be willing to pay, but maybe the DVC group being fired is a little illuminating on your point, Ian.

phlo8810
08-17-2011, 06:38 PM
We have only been members for a couple years but the thing that has always bugged me about DVC is that once they took our money that was the end of them caring about us. Not that disney is obligated to give us perks or anything for that matter I feel they basically don't. These perks are a joke. Other than the AP discount I have never used any of them. They've got our money already and they know it. Is it so bad to give us discounts on a dining plan? Or how bout a fastpass for DVC members? $100 discount on an AP that goes up every year doesn't cut it. When my neighbors tell us they're going for $3000 with everything paid for I get <nothing>. We paid $30,000 and I'm still paying a good $5000-6000 a year for our trips. Granted we go deluxe dining but we are not paying for a room. Why do they pay so much less? Anyway sorry for rambling believe me I could keep going. I love Disney, completely addicted to it in fact, so lets hope whoever takes over DVC realizes that the more service they give us members, the more discounts they give us, will only lead to more money and more satisfied customers for them.

DizneyFreak2002
08-17-2011, 10:23 PM
We have only been members for a couple years but the thing that has always bugged me about DVC is that once they took our money that was the end of them caring about us. Not that disney is obligated to give us perks or anything for that matter I feel they basically don't. These perks are a joke. Other than the AP discount I have never used any of them. They've got our money already and they know it. Is it so bad to give us discounts on a dining plan? Or how bout a fastpass for DVC members? $100 discount on an AP that goes up every year doesn't cut it. When my neighbors tell us they're going for $3000 with everything paid for I get ******. We paid $30,000 and I'm still paying a good $5000-6000 a year for our trips. Granted we go deluxe dining but we are not paying for a room. Why do they pay so much less? Anyway sorry for rambling believe me I could keep going. I love Disney, completely addicted to it in fact, so lets hope whoever takes over DVC realizes that the more service they give us members, the more discounts they give us, will only lead to more money and more satisfied customers for them.

I was ticked when i found out I, as a DVC member, couldn't book free dining... Then I asked if we get a discount on the Disney Dining Plan and that was a no as well... Your rambling is fine.. Ramble away...

We can sit here all day on internet forums complaining all we want... We won't get anywhere... As members, we have to let Disney know what we expect from them, what we demand... We need to voice our concerns and frustrations, but in a civil and professional manner...

Disney Hungarian
08-17-2011, 11:22 PM
I was seriously considering buying into DVC. Now with all of the research behind me, I have decided to hold off on it. Maybe if Disney gets their act together. That's a big maybe. Too many cutbacks and not enough magic in my book, to justify an investment of this magnitude. Heck, I am having probs with upgrading my tickets to an AP this year (which I have decided to do.) I do hope Disney finds the leadership that has been lacking for so many years. It would be sad to see it fade away.

Ian
08-18-2011, 08:10 AM
Look, in all fairness to Disney it's very hard to do an honest comparison between owning a DVC membership and booking cash right now. The economy is just so bad that the discounts are making your membership look like not such a hot idea.

But we all know they won't last ... eventually the economy will come back (at least I think it will :() and the discounts will go away. Then is when you'll probably be glad you "pre-paid" your vacation accomodations.

Ed
08-18-2011, 09:29 AM
I'm curious to see how this whole situation is handled at the D23 event and on the DVC Member Cruise next month. Then there's the annual membership meeting (I think in December) and the next stockholders' meeting. Could get interesting.

seanyred
08-18-2011, 10:07 AM
I was ticked when i found out I, as a DVC member, couldn't book free dining... Then I asked if we get a discount on the Disney Dining Plan and that was a no as well... Your rambling is fine.. Ramble away...

We can sit here all day on internet forums complaining all we want... We won't get anywhere... As members, we have to let Disney know what we expect from them, what we demand... We need to voice our concerns and frustrations, but in a civil and professional manner...

I agree I think as a group DVC members should be writing the new president about the concerns we have. Just one question what is the best way for this be done? Also agree with being civil/professional about the complaints, yelling and screaming doesn't accomplish anything.

DizneyFreak2002
08-18-2011, 11:19 AM
I agree I think as a group DVC members should be writing the new president about the concerns we have. Just one question what is the best way for this be done? Also agree with being civil/professional about the complaints, yelling and screaming doesn't accomplish anything.

I know this sounds so 1980's (hey, the 80's are coming back so why not???) but hand written letters always get attention... I once sent a hand written letter to Marty Sklar about the potential closing of CoP, a fews years ago.. I recevied a letter back, not written bot typed... Go figure LOL...

in today's world, emails are of course quicker... Management does read their emails and depending on the issue, they do share the emails with fellow mangement...

Disney management email addresses are out there online for all to find... I think we have a few posts here that list several of the email addresses...

Ed
08-18-2011, 11:41 AM
"Snail mail" address is:

Ms. Claire Bilby
Senior Vice President
Disney Vacation Club
200 Celebration Place, 2nd Floor, Suite 210
Celebration, FL 34747

Maleficent's Dad
08-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Look, in all fairness to Disney it's very hard to do an honest comparison between owning a DVC membership and booking cash right now. The economy is just so bad that the discounts are making your membership look like not such a hot idea.
While I agree with your assessment - the economy is bad, so they discount cash packages.
But the lingering question is this - the economy is bad, so why has DVC just recently, again, raised the prices of points? BLT is up to $150!!! I mean, really? :/

I was upset at "adding on" SSR points for $85 a few years back!

DizneyRox
08-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Because they want their cake, and and be able to eat it too.

I always thought the initial buy in was to finance the building of the resort, so it never made sense that the point costs went up, since they are done building. Doesn't matter to me anymore, we're done buying points.

Christine
08-19-2011, 02:10 PM
As a concerned owner at Alauni, I spoke with my guide yesterday. Are my dues about to skyrocket? He said the current word is no. We will be "comped" for the difference... But until When? Dues can increase yearly- will next year be huge!? Will the "cap" be disregarded? I said this is not what I signed on for. He was terribly nice (as always- I really like my guide) and said "don't panic--- yet". He did say that they may allow current alauni owners "options". I said "like transferring those points to another home resort?" & he said "among other things". :confused:

So for current alauni owners- think this will become a "loophole" to get out of current contract if need be? I'm feeling a bit shaky!!!

So I sit and wait...

DizneyFreak2002
08-19-2011, 02:26 PM
As a concerned owner at Alauni, I spoke with my guide yesterday. Are my dues about to skyrocket? He said the current word is no. We will be "comped" for the difference... But until When? Dues can increase yearly- will next year be huge!? Will the "cap" be disregarded? I said this is not what I signed on for. He was terribly nice (as always- I really like my guide) and said "don't panic--- yet". He did say that they may allow current alauni owners "options". I said "like transferring those points to another home resort?" & he said "among other things". :confused:

So for current alauni owners- think this will become a "loophole" to get out of current contract if need be? I'm feeling a bit shaky!!!

So I sit and wait...

if Disney jumped the gun, I would think a good lawyer can prove the contract null and void and yes, would be a loophole to get out of the deal...

I'm interested in hearing what Disney does for those people who already bought into this resort... Hopefully they take very good care to make for for their horrible, pie on the face, embarassing mistake...

Ian
08-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Well it really should be a simple fix assuming Disney actually steps up and does the right thing.

All they should have to do is recalcuate what the actual dues should have been and then give anyone who purchased before the adjustment a credit in the difference on their bill. They'd get that credit for the length of the contract, so even though dues will go up as they always do they won't ever get slammed with a big increase.

Aurora
08-20-2011, 11:11 AM
They have something similar as precedent -- Vero Beach. From what I understand, when the original owners bought in, apparently the resort was supposed to be much larger. Ultimately Disney scaled back the size of the resort, and annual dues on the original contracts were subsidized so that these owners/contracts continue to pay lower dues than later buyers. That's why there remain two different dues levels for VB.