PDA

View Full Version : fastpass question

K8screen
08-12-2011, 12:30 PM
I am not planning to do this, but it just occurred to me and made me curious. If I was in one park, MK for example, and got a fastpass for SM, and then for some reason went straight over to Epcot, with a park hopper, could I get a fastpass for Soarin , for example, right away, or would I not be able to till my return window for SM opened?

Capt_redshirt
08-12-2011, 01:04 PM
The simple answer is no. That one hour window is there for all parks.

WDWForever
08-12-2011, 01:26 PM
No you can't since the fastpasses are tied to your park tickets.

WDWdriver
08-12-2011, 01:27 PM
The FastPass computers at the parks are linked together, so you cannot get a FP at another park any sooner. The earliest time you can get another is printed at the bottom of the FP you already have.

gerald72
08-12-2011, 04:58 PM
I dont think the parks are linked together, at least they weren't in the past. I think this would actually work, although it wouldn't be the best way to manage your time.

CleveRocks
08-12-2011, 09:30 PM
The parks are NOT linked together, in terms of FASTPASS eligibility.

However, from a practical standpoint, it sounds like an awful lot of traveling back and forth and back and forth.

WDWdriver
08-12-2011, 11:07 PM
The parks are NOT linked together, in terms of FASTPASS

Actually, they are. This was tested a couple of years ago by an Intercot member who obtained a FP at MK and proceeded immediately to Epcot via monorail and tried to get a second FP. It was issued as "invalid" because insufficient time had passed.

The FP system managers at AK where I work have confirmed to me that the park computers are linked.

joonyer
08-13-2011, 12:34 AM
I don't know if the parks computers are linked or not, or even if they all use the same system, but if the parks use separate systems, they don't have to be actually "linked" to prevent a guest from doing this. Your park pass might be encoded with the information when you obtain one fastpass, and a separate system would simply read the code to determine the time you were eligible for another one.

K8screen
08-13-2011, 06:26 AM
I wasnt planning to do this, as someone said it would be a waste of time, I just wondered if it was possible, for example if you unexpectedly wanted to join friends who you suddenly heard from in another park. It seems there are various opinions, but thanks for your answers.

CleveRocks
08-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Actually, they are. This was tested a couple of years ago by an Intercot member who obtained a FP at MK and proceeded immediately to Epcot via monorail and tried to get a second FP. It was issued as "invalid" because insufficient time had passed.

The FP system managers at AK where I work have confirmed to me that the park computers are linked.

I bow to your researched answer. :blush: I guess I'm going on outdated info. Thanks for the update!

WDWdriver
08-13-2011, 10:37 PM
I Thanks for the update!

Maybe we should test the FP distribution system to see if the computer links are still in place. Any volunteers?

DizneyRox
08-14-2011, 03:47 AM

This was true last time I checked.

At the time there were a few attractions that didn't honor the next fastpass time (like LMA), but in general, the next available fastpass rule applied across all parks.

Not sure why they would remove that limitation, unless it's it was some unintended result of a system upgrade.

I'm not sure it's really a waste of time, as there are a few reasons why someone might want to leave a park and go elsewhere. The two hour rule though means it won't take too long before you can get another after you arrive. You're looking at about an hour realistically before you could get to another park, so unless you just got one and immediately decided to leave, it probably shouldn't be a problem.

When I tested it, we got one in Epcot with a late return time (think Soarin or TT), figured we had time to head to MK for a ride or two and then back to Epcot later in the day to use it. Upon arrival at MK we may have tried to FP Buzz before heading over to Splash, and couldn't. Ended up not being a big deal, but I thought it was worth a shot.

I don't know if the parks computers are linked or not, or even if they all use the same system, but if the parks use separate systems, they don't have to be actually "linked" to prevent a guest from doing this. Your park pass might be encoded with the information when you obtain one fastpass, and a separate system would simply read the code to determine the time you were eligible for another one.
Wouldn't be a good idea to do this for several reasons. You don't want to accidentally screw up a ticket by writing to it, and encoding that info would allow guests to alter the behavior (you would be surprised at what guests will do). While it would probably be easier to just to attempt to forge the actual fastpass, I'm sure it would be abused. And yes, people do forge or attempt to forge fastpasses.

"Linking" the parks is trivial. The infrastructure was already in place for things like the ticketing system, so why not if they could.

MrPeetrie
08-14-2011, 08:01 AM

This seems the most logical reason why it wouldn't work. Programming stations to encode valid re-issue times on your tickets wouldn't be very difficult. Then, any station in any park could read the park ticket and could verify if the ticket was valid for another FastPass.